Bama to add ex-USC head coach as offensive assistant

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I have more doubts about Sark than I have about Kiffin simply because in the end Kiffin's antics were less harmful. I am not on the bandwagon at this point that says make him the OC next year, but... isn't this a great situation to be in? He's got a good recruiter and offensive mind, operating in such a way that if he has any issues they won't really impact the team, so it is only a positive. And... Saban can monitor him like no other prospective employer could. The choice he might make around a year from now to hire Sark as an on-fiend coach would be a far more educated one than making that choice now.
All good points as usual. Thing is, Nick is just giving the guy a chance at this point. He can either realize his luck and take advantage of it or be cast out again like so many other coaches and players before him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I can't say this for people in general, but in defense of people on this board there were some that stuck by the opinion that while risky, Kiffin was a good hire. Some people just love overreacting to everything that happens.
I was one of those posters.

My point in the post you quoted was simply that mindset wasn't exclusive to TideFans or Alabama fans. It was pretty prominent across college football.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Let's keep in mind the role he is in. He is an offensive analyst. He isn't out recruiting or calling plays on Saturdays. CNS is giving someone a chance to turn their professional life around, and this will probably aid him on the personal side as well. It is a no harm no foul situation for Saban and Bama. If Sark can't stay sober he won't be around anymore, and if he can, and I so hope he can, this can be a positive thing for all involved. All of us know someone who has or have ourselves experienced addiction. The man needs help, and I'm glad Bama is in a position to give the man a chance. If it was yourself or your son you would be begging for someone to give you or them a chance.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is a positive on several levels. It gives SS a second chance, and when LK leaves after this year (sorry for jumping the gun but only an offensive meltdown by Bama prevents that and all of you who believe THAT will happen raise your hands...? I see none), if everything works out with SS, CNS may not have to look far to replace him.
If it fails, no big loss.
In CNS I trust.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
As someone who has been through drug rehab, I'm doubtful he is ready for the stress of being a head coach or a offensive coordinator. This way he can ease back into coaching and continue to work on his own demons. It's really a great opportunity for him and I hope it works!

One of the main building blocks of rehab is admitting you have a problem. It seems like he's done that. Now he takes baby steps to get back his life.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Some folks are already assuming he will be our OC when Kiffin leaves. Not saying it will happen, but how are you going to feel when Kiffin leaves for a HC job at some place like LSU and he takes Sark as his OC and Barnett with him who very well could be close to graduating next summer?

I am getting really concerned about some of these assistants coming in and learning the process then trying to poach it on the way out the door to a better opportunity. CNS is really breeding his own competition.

After the stuff with Kirby, tucker, and Smith, it has taught me the business is that cutthroat. And i didn't think i would ever be saying that with Kirby in the same sentence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Some folks are already assuming he will be our OC when Kiffin leaves. Not saying it will happen, but how are you going to feel when Kiffin leaves for a HC job at some place like LSU and he takes Sark as his OC and Barnett with him who very well could be close to graduating next summer?

I am getting really concerned about some of these assistants coming in and learning the process then trying to poach it on the way out the door to a better opportunity. CNS is really breeding his own competition.
The Same way I felt about Kirby and Mac leaving... I loved what they contributed, and I wish them well, but not at our expense because now they are the enemy.

The thing is most coordinators are trying to elevate themselves to HC job opportunities most of the time. Some are guys who fight through a system to the coordinator position (Kirby), some are ones that have fallen on hard times (lane), and some have tried being coordinators at other locations but could never stay put for whatever reason (Pruitt). Heck even Saban was a coordinator for hire a long time ago.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Kiffin and Sarkisian were on Pete Carrol's staff together at USC in the early 2000s. So they do have a past relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I don't think it is close to a given that Kiffin will get a P5 HC job offer next year, and almost no chance at a program like LSU. He might get a Purdue/Cal type offer but even that is not a given. No way an LSU type job, unless finances force them into an econo hire, even then Kiffin would be an upset, IMO.

Pruitt strepped up with each move: FSU < UGA < Bama. He supposedly caused some turmoil at UGA. His supporters say he was just pushing for UGA to take football more seriously - certainly plausible under Richt or the admin. Idk.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

After the stuff with Kirby, tucker, and Smith, it has taught me the business is that cutthroat. And i didn't think i would ever be saying that with Kirby in the same sentence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Its a concern, but I think he's going to Florida State after Jimbo says "I do" to LSU. Obviously, we can all speculate all we want, that's what makes it so fun. Heck, Les may win 10 plus a bowl game and save his job again. Who knows.

In fact, after Kirby, my guess is that CNS will highly discourage his assistants from taking a job in the SEC that is in direct competition with him. Instead, for them to go outside the conference, cut their teeth and then compete with him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.