Good, bad, and ugly: USC edition

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Good: both Hurts and Barnett (his second time up)
Bad: the first quarter/ early offensive line play
Ugly: the score. That was a whoopin!

Also, on another thread I made reference to many "eating crow" about Hurts. To clarify, this was not regarding trash talk on the player, but rather the belief many had that this freshman wouldn't see playing time possibly this year, much less the first game.

Great victory and way to start the year. ROLL RIDE

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Good - we have a QB
Bad- Cam Sims injury - praying for a minor miracle here
Ugly- SEC without Alabama

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Good- the defense and hurts

The Bad- the o line struggled in the first half, and hopefully they continue to get better in the next few weeks

The Ugly- the game between the keystone cops and the bad news bears (aka auburn vs Clemson). Seriously anyone thinking dabo should succeed CNS when he retires needs to look at the last 50 seconds of that game. Luckily the moron on the other side kept switching qbs every three plays to the point that a fb was playing qb. Worst game of the day by far.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Good- 52-6 whipping of USC can't be understated, Reuben Foster was all over the place, the defense as a whole was very good, D. Harris, Hurts, A. Stewart
Bad- 1st quarter offensively
Ugly- the sideline meltdown (we're on the same team guys)

Yes, he no doubt meant Sims. But, for real, what happened to Robert Foster? I see him in the participation chart (http://www.rolltide.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=4464) but I don't remember a single target to him all night. I don't even recall seeing him on the field.
I'm pretty sure it was young QBs. We have to get the passing game going. He and Ridley were basically quiet all night.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Good: DEFENSE (mainly the pass rush and the secondary stepping up) ! Damien Harris! Hurts demeanor and play, Barnett coming back in and mopping up, Griffith looking good, Stewart and OJ

Bad: Our offensive line at times. If we can open holes, our RB's are more than capable of making big plays.

Ugly: Barnett's first two series, Hurts' fumble. Most SEC play. My gosh, we are going to have win all of our games to get in. Maybe.

Uglier: The stomp on Humphrey. Completely uncalled for. Deliberate and right in front of two referees. In my world, that guy is thrown off the team.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
good: defense, hurts, barnett (second time), stewart, saban trolling the media (and everybody) this whole time, kiffin's reaction to the final 2 yd's
bad: the first quarter
ugly: the rest of the SEC
hawt: Sam Ponder

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Good... We have a QB who will keep coaches up at night worrying.
Bad... USC
Ugly... Scoreboard after we 'Curb Stomped' USC.

They may have stomped one of our players, but we drug them up and down the field and beat them worse than the scoreboard indicated. :)

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Great - Kiffin got him some revenge. Loved seeing how happy he looked with all the staff and players. I never disliked him even at Tennessee, but he's definitely grown on me even more.

Good - Jalen Hurts was absolutely jaw dropping at times as a first time playing true freshman.

Also when Barnett came back in, his passes were so accurate. He has a cannon for an arm, and I think we'll be set at QB no matter which one starts. Just gotta make sure Barnett doesn't get the jitters.

Defense also looked suffocating and scary at times. Their QB was shaking in his cleats after a couple of hits.

Edit: completely forgot about Damien. He looked great at running back! Hopefully he'll have as good of a season as Derrick had last year.

Bad - SEC teams losing to OOC teams (even though it's funny, it hurts our SOS).

Harrison's stunt on the sidelines. Hopefully Saban uses this as a good coaching moment to teach self restraint. We don't need a loose cannon on the field.

Ugly - the junk stomp by #40 on Minkah. Hope he gets a really long suspension this season for that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Good: despite the feeling of horror I had after the Hurts fumble, today it looks like we have at least 2 guys that can play winning football at QB. Hurts does appear to be the guy that has won the team over, though. Natural born leader.

Bad: DL depth. It's very concerning to me, and hopefully we see more Guys get involved next week.

Ugly: USC's lack of discipline. Helton has a tall order in restoring that program. They've got a good bit of talent, but pretty much folded at halftime.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've had time to sleep on it. And here's my take...the single players out edition.

Good
1. Lester Cotton. My wife is from Tuscaloosa and is a Central High School grad. I know several others who are also Central grads. I cannot explain how proud they all were. Same thing with them seeing Keith Holcombe on the field (from Hillcrest in Tuscaloosa) later in the game.
2. Jalen Hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Reuben Foster!!!!
4. Marlon Humphrey in run support
5. Perfect grade for Jonathan Allen

Bad
1. Bo Scarborough's vision. Gonna need more than just bulling ahead to complement Harris.
2. Dalvin Tomlinson's and Cam Sims's inability to stay healthy. Both top notch gets. Just bad luck with injury.

Ugly
1. Players believing their own hype. Ronnie Harrison was out of control from the opening kickoff.
2. Minkah Fitzpatrick losing all of his composure on an early PI call. He should have been ejected for making contact with the official and at least removed from the game for removing his helmet.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Good- I love how we respond to adversity. The first quarter stunk for the offense but the D stood for the occasion. Our punter should be an All-American.

The bad- Our playcalling was atrocious in the first half.

The Ugly- How USC responded to adversity.... I think they quit!

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Good: Our defense (I can't get enough of this new model Bama defense; good to see we didn't lose it); Hurts exuding leadership (honestly, even with his mistakes, did it not just feel like he was the guy?); the DL specifically; Reuben Foster specifically (really can't say enough about his performance last night, and no one sends a message to the other team like he does); Humphrey specifically; Blake Barnett showing off the arm late game.

Bad: offensive playcalling (we're all used to the slow-building, get the other team used to seeing us be horizontal before burning them Kiffin gameplans by now, but I think this was one of his worst called games at Bama); lack of OL push for most of the night; Adoree Jackson party pooping both of Harris's long runs; pretty much everything USC was trying to do after the first quarter.

Ugly: The groin stomp; Harrison's outburst; and guys on both teams bordering on being out of control for much of the night in general.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.