Possibility that LSU's Boutte didn't know the play was over-LSU late hit against Wis

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I wondered that at first, too. Either way, he deserved to be ejected, but if he did still think the play was live, it is much more understandable and there should be no further punishment. If it was just a cheap shot, he should have to sit for a few games at least.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Normally when a cheap shot is taken like that, you can tell a bit by the offending player's body language. Even when we do stupid things, we tend to try to justify them. His body language seemed to be, ok i took him down and *now* the play is over. Just my thought though. No way to know for sure.

If I determined that it was on purpose, he's going to miss the next 3 games at least. Otherwise, justice has been served. Even if it really was an accident, you've got to pull up when the play is blown dead.

There was an INT and the guy fell to the ground. Got up and celebrated with arm in the air. It's what players do. Hardly anyone was running after he fell. Some LSU players were even walking off or around the field. After Boutte did what he did, he taunted one WIS player. It was malicious. He should be gone for at least three games.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17459152
http://es.pn/2c2cdlx

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

timmer0911

3rd Team
Jan 4, 2005
Mobile, AL
You don't tackle someone by throwing your hands under their neck like that. He would have tried to wrap him up and tackle if he really thought the play wasn't over. That was intentional!
There was no pleading of his case or trying to explain either. He just walked back to the bench. There's no doubt in my mind that there was a whistle blown, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
There was an INT and the guy fell to the ground. Got up and celebrated with arm in the air. It's what players do. Hardly anyone was running after he fell. Some LSU players were even walking off or around the field. After Boutte did what he did, he taunted one WIS player. It was malicious. He should be gone for at least three games.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17459152
http://es.pn/2c2cdlx

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Very good points.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He was not trying to tackle him. He knocked him down. Granted he is not a tackler but it was clear to me he was not trying to prevent a touchdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Based on everything that was happening and the actions/body language of everyone involved I think it was clearly a cheap shot inspired by frustration. He should be suspended and any story that he thought the play was still going on is going to be spin to keep him in the lineup.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Based on everything that was happening and the actions/body language of everyone involved I think it was clearly a cheap shot inspired by frustration. He should be suspended and any story that he thought the play was still going on is going to be spin to keep him in the lineup.
Yep, the continued taunting as he walked off the field just might be a clue.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I watched the replay again. Intentional all the way. That's not a tackle to stop a play, it's an uncontrolled cheap shot.

And if he wants to claim he was unaware the play was over, Les should keep him out of any game for the safety of everyone on the field!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
For the first few seconds I gave him the benefit of the doubt...then they showed the replay. It was purposeful and it was malicious. I agree with what was said above - he was shutting down a celebration. Period. I don't know what his punishment should be but it shouldn't be over yet.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Agree. After the play I thought "benefit of the doubt, thought the play was live, just stopping the runner, etc.". Watching the replay, that rationale just doesn't hold up. It was cheap, dirty, and has no place in any sport. I don't blame Les for trying to defend him. After he sees the film, we will see if he does the right thing. Lester did not need this, too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.