Question: Anyone use Playstation Vue to watch Bama games?

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I am in a situation where I need an online service to watch Bama games. I'd like to record them too. I was thinking that Playstation Vue might be the thing. It seems that the middle ($45) package would includes the SEC Network.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/?prices

Has anyone had issues with watching and recording games this way? It seems that they erase it from the cloud after 28 days, which would okay with me.

I don't actually have a playstation. I would probably watch it on my laptop. They do have a Roku here, so I might hook up to a TV.

Last edited:

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I have a Roku. It's pretty awesome. I'm sure they have a vendor that offers what you need. Sling something or other, I think. I have the Roku 3, which I bought for about $90. It's a much lower start up cost than the PS4 too. It might be worth looking into.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
I have a Roku. It's pretty awesome. I'm sure they have a vendor that offers what you need. Sling something or other, I think. I have the Roku 3, which I bought for about $90. It's a much lower start up cost than the PS4 too. It might be worth looking into.
I am considering Sling too. Though the sense that I got is that ESPN blocks you from recording games. Correct me I'm wrong. And I don't think that you need a PlayStation to sign up either. You could sign up with your Roku.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Between the two, I would take Vue over Sling. I've done both and had much better experiences with Vue. Now I will preface my experiences by saying that I never had either during football season, and I only had Vue for a week trial.

Sling I had during March Madness 2015. It was a very new product, it was great in theory, but the technology was still catching up to the idea. If I were watching a program like Sportscenter, it was great. Picture was solid, streamed well, it was a good experience. I started having trouble though during the games as the tournament went on. I would lose buffering constantly, the picture would come in and out, and one time the entire server went down literally with seconds to go in a tight game. Maybe Sling has gotten better servers as they've grown, but I personally wouldn't trust them without hearing from a lot of people that they've watched high traffic events without issues.

Vue I had for a week trial during this summer. Of course since it was summer I had no big sporting events to watch except a few early season baseball games. Never had major issues, but it also wasn't a high streaming type of events. I thought the interface was more cable-ish than web app, so it felt more user friendly. I think I had some minor issues streaming, but those always just seemed like slow internet to me. (Comcast severely adjusted my internet speeds between Sling and Vue. My promotion ran out, and by the time Vue came around my speeds were at times as low as 1mbps)

Either way you decide to go, if you haven't used your free trial already, save it for a big game and sign up for it. Maybe wait until Ole Miss, which is a game that will take a lot of streaming traffic. Sign up for a free trial of both, watch the 1st half with one and 2nd half with the other. Take the one that works best for you.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You can get DirecTV for very cheap with an initial contract. Something like $20-$30/month. I'm beyond the initial contract but renegotiated with them and have 3 TVs hooked up for $60/month. Pretty good deal considering you get all the channels and all the DVR features and capabilities + watch TV on your mobile devices. Maybe that's not a possibility for you but if it is I would look into it..

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I am considering Sling too. Though the sense that I got is that ESPN blocks you from recording games. Correct me I'm wrong. And I don't think that you need a PlayStation to sign up either. You could sign up with your Roku.

Yes, you also get a Roku at a discounted price if you sign up with Sling. I've been a Sling (with a Roku 3) user since it started. I have no complaints. You can also use the WatchESPN app with a subscription too. To get the SEC network you would need the sports extra package. So you would be billed $24.95 per month. You can add the Fox Sports channels too (with others) for $15 more. So you could have all of the ESPN & Fox channels (plus all the others) for about $40 per month with no contract.

The only issue with Sling is your internet connection. You need at least 10mbsp. For those who live in rural situations this speed might not be available. Didn't know your situation

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Let me add that Sling does not require a box like the Roku. You can stream it via any device except Amazon Fire tablets, and there is the option for multiple streaming @ once.

bamamanrs

Scout Team
Apr 29, 2003
Murfreesboro, TN
I was close to ditching DTV and looked closely into Sling and Vue. Was definitely going to pull the trigger on Vue until I was able to get the deal I wanted with DTV to stay (took them calling me back after I was set to cancel). However, the one thing I was curious about was the Vue Cloud DVR functionality. Specifically, how does it deal with the time overage of games? As we all are painfully aware, college football games almost never adhere to the 3 hour or even 3 1/2 hour windows published. Considering this, since there are no "controls" when setting the Vue Cloud DVR (because you just add shows to a "Favorites" list), there is no way to manually tell it to record additional time. I did some searching around but couldn't find any info or feedback reported from anyone about it.

This scenario would be very concerning to me so, if anyone has had experience with that, it would be helpful to hear how it deals with that (if, at all).

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I was close to ditching DTV and looked closely into Sling and Vue. Was definitely going to pull the trigger on Vue until I was able to get the deal I wanted with DTV to stay (took them calling me back after I was set to cancel). However, the one thing I was curious about was the Vue Cloud DVR functionality. Specifically, how does it deal with the time overage of games? As we all are painfully aware, college football games almost never adhere to the 3 hour or even 3 1/2 hour windows published. Considering this, since there are no "controls" when setting the Vue Cloud DVR (because you just add shows to a "Favorites" list), there is no way to manually tell it to record additional time. I did some searching around but couldn't find any info or feedback reported from anyone about it.

This scenario would be very concerning to me so, if anyone has had experience with that, it would be helpful to hear how it deals with that (if, at all).
What I have been doing on my cable box is record the show or two shows right after the game to ensure I get the whole game. If the games is scheduled to end at 11:00 PM I go ahead a tell it to record the local news that is scheduled to start at 11:00. I would imagine you could do the same with Vue.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
You can get DirecTV for very cheap with an initial contract. Something like $20-$30/month. I'm beyond the initial contract but renegotiated with them and have 3 TVs hooked up for $60/month. Pretty good deal considering you get all the channels and all the DVR features and capabilities + watch TV on your mobile devices. Maybe that's not a possibility for you but if it is I would look into it..
Not to hijack this thread, but how did that negotiation go? I'm in a similar situation with UVerse and would like to lower my monthly rate.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think I will be contacting you about that. I'm paying nearly 140 a month for two tv.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not to hijack this thread, but how did that negotiation go? I'm in a similar situation with UVerse and would like to lower my monthly rate.
I think I will be contacting you about that. I'm paying nearly 140 a month for two tv.
This is how it went down. As everyone knows once your original contract or deal runs out they jack the price up. I don't remember the exact amount but my bill was more than $100/month after my deal ran out. I have Comcast for Internet so I was going to switch to Comcast for cable also since it would be cheaper. I called DirecTV to cancel and they put me on this deal. When you call to cancel disregard the first person/department you speak to. They don't have the power to offer you much of a discount. If you tell them you want to cancel they should transfer you to the customer retention department. Since customer acquisition is the biggest cost that DTV incurs this person has wide latitude to keep you from cancelling. I told them what I was going to get from Comcast and DTV pretty much matched that. Below is a screenshot of my bill. $62/month for 3 TVs - one main DVR and 2 genies. Of course when this deal runs out I'll have to call and go through the whole song and dance again but it's worth it..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.