Assess the Future of LSU

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Always a risk in these situations, but it's become obvious Les isn't going to take them back to the mountain top. Unless they lack the aspiration to really be a top5 team, they have to move. It has to be said - Les can't get it done without Saban's recruits.
I don't think recruits are his problem. His teams are routinely loaded with talent. He can't get all that talent working together like CNS can.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Always a risk in these situations, but it's become obvious Les isn't going to take them back to the mountain top. Unless they lack the aspiration to really be a top5 team, they have to move. It has to be said - Les can't get it done without Saban's recruits.
Yep, and not only that but let's not forget he needed a huge amount of help to win the title, with 2 losses! Only Les could win the title that way, it's almost comical and poetic at the same time.

He's not a top-tier coach, never has been.

Unless LSU starts consistently putting up 35-45 points a game the rest of the season, I'm afraid that Les just cooked his goose Saturday at Lambeau with that offensive performance.

I expect LSU to lash out and fire him without a replacement lined up, and they end up with somebody like Butch Jones as HC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AIN'T gonna happen. They couldn't score what they scored without help.

LSU fans are calling for his head. But they got what they asked for last season when they had a chance to let him go.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Talk over here in New Orleans is a lot of people think they lose at least two more games, possibly three. If they can get by Auburn, they figure they'll skate until November, but then lose to BAMA, Arkansas, and maybe A&M. Not a lot of happy campers over here right now. Krymsonman

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Like him or hate him - I've been predicting since the season ended last year that Art Briles will be LSU's next coach after ole Les. Baton Rouge is a stone throw from Texas. Briles recruits Texas better than anyone plus he'd have La in his backyard to cherry pick from.

But the LSU situation is a tricky one. Its not exactly a horrible situation right now. So WHOEVER the next coach will be, he wont be going into a rebuilding process. What LSU needs, and they need it badly, is a whole new offensive philosophy. This is the reason I say Art Briles. Because that Briles HUNH offense is polar opposite of the Les Miles 3 yards and a cloud of dust approach. So in the end, the LSU AD and higher ups will be looking for a HC that will bring a wide open offensive approach and Art Briles fits that bill to a T. Plus Briles is available and he mentioned he'll be coaching again.

As far as Tom Herman is concerned. I think he stays in Houston if Houston gets that Big 12 invite like rumors are saying. I predict that Houston will be the next TCU upstart.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
The only school I can even imagine hiring Art Briles is Auburn. No one else will touch him.
Someone will. Someone that wants to win quickly. Say what you want about the Baylor scandal, but he did good things at Baylor on the field. I mean, its BAYLOR. Nobody even knew who Baylor was before Art Briles got there. He had a Heisman winning QB and other QB's who were always in the Heisman discussion. His offense fills stadiums up with fans wanting to see video game like scores and offensive statistics. Everything else aside, the man can recruit and coach. Bottom line, if you can win and win big at Baylor, you can do it anywhere in the Power 5.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Mike Dubose might be available....
On a separate note, I wonder what the LSU-AU final score will be....I'm going with 4 to 2 Bayou Tigers

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think this is Coach Kiffins final season at Bama. LSU, Auburn, Arky, Somebody is talking to him and CNS knows it. That's is my reasoning for the Sarkisian hire.
Could be. This may be a year long trial to see how Sark handles himself, and see how he would mesh with out offense. OR... Sark could go with Coach Kiffin to his next job. (That would surprise me)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think many are overselling Coach Kiffin. It's hard to imagine LSU or even AU taking him at this point. Maybe an interview, but at this point cautious ADs at big schools are simply not going to take the chance. Maybe a Purdue or Cal but but not mediocre or top SEC schools.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
LSU's future - they need to either win now or find the right guy immediately. Why? Because just about every team with which they battle for recruits in and around LA is doing well right now, which is going to hurt them in recruiting if they slip even a little bit. I believe that they are about to slide back to where they have historically lived in the SEC, but winning fixes everything. We will just have to wait and see.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I won't count Les Miles out just yet. He's been on shaky footing before and somehow managed to right the ship. I will say I'm surprised by how bad LSU actually did look. They were not a bad team last year, they were 9-3 and only one of those losses was really a bad loss (Arkansas). Otherwise, they beat Miss. State, Auburn and Florida and handily won their bowl game. Then, he brings in top 5 recruiting class and manages to keep a lot of key players around. Logically, this team should be better and based just on the personnel and the results from last year the ranking seemed appropriate.

But, as someone pointed out when I was referring to these things prior to the season, LSU has a lot of trouble at the QB position. I guess I'm spoiled by Nick Saban, because he's done a heck of a lot with first year starters and three star quarterbacks whereas Les Miles can't manage to figure the position out at all (neither could be considered experts at evaluating and recruiting the position I suppose). At this point I'm beyond making a prediction. I don't know how good Wisconsin is, but I darn sure know that LSU should have been better than 14 points.

I have no idea how things will look by the end of the year, nor do I know which vacancies there might be. Will Auburn and LSU both be hiring for example? Who knows, and likewise I have no idea who will be available. I think it would be easy for LSU to do worse than Les, but I also think (especially with the big win by Texas which strengthens Strong's position) they'd probably be the most attractive job if they are hiring.

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Like him or hate him - I've been predicting since the season ended last year that Art Briles will be LSU's next coach after ole Les. Baton Rouge is a stone throw from Texas. Briles recruits Texas better than anyone plus he'd have La in his backyard to cherry pick from.

But the LSU situation is a tricky one. Its not exactly a horrible situation right now. So WHOEVER the next coach will be, he wont be going into a rebuilding process. What LSU needs, and they need it badly, is a whole new offensive philosophy. This is the reason I say Art Briles. Because that Briles HUNH offense is polar opposite of the Les Miles 3 yards and a cloud of dust approach. So in the end, the LSU AD and higher ups will be looking for a HC that will bring a wide open offensive approach and Art Briles fits that bill to a T. Plus Briles is available and he mentioned he'll be coaching again.
Having slept on this (and pretty much over my latest flu), I'm going with you, on this one.

1.) L5U is desperate to beat us. In the past, the HUNH offense, with a spread formation, has been our weak point. (Pruitt may change that; we'll see.) Briles is the anti-Les. A very common strategy, whether in sports, or corporate America, is to go in the opposite direction, when making a change at the top.
2.) Proximity to Briles's recruiting base. An advantage API will not have. Much easier for him to keeping his recruiting pipeline flowing, and also taping into the LouserAnna base.
3.) L5U has no scruples, so call that a draw, with API.
4.) Briles has the chutzpah to think he can compete with CNS.

So did Gus..................

Bring 'em on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.