Assess the Future of LSU

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I knew that keeping Cameron as off coord they would again be in trouble. I remember years ago Cameron as a qb with the redskins, and then followed his lack of success as off cord else where. I have a terrible feeling that now there is so much pressure on fournette, that he will be injured more than in the Wisconsin game. he can only do so much in a offense so stoic. sad, for lsu, and the sec.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
The process of firing a football coach has rarely changed through the years.

There's no record of the first firing. For all we know, it could have dated back to the days of cavemen in a conversation like this:

Caveman athletic director: "Coach Grog, have to fire you."

Coach Grog: "What you mean fire? Have not discover what fire is yet."

Caveman A.D.: "It mean you no longer coach our rock-carrying team."

Coach Grog: "Do not understand. My team win most of time. We pound the rock. We have stonewall defense."

Caveman A.D.: "Times change. Other teams have stonewall defense, too. But they also throw rock."

Coach Grog: "What is this throw rock?"

Caveman A.D.: "Player with strongest arm pick up rock and throw like he killing for food. Another player catch rock."

Coach Grog: "Throwing rock too risky. Bad things happen. Coach Grog like to pound rock."

Caveman A.D.: "Rest of tribe no longer happy with you pounding rock. Say they will stop killing animals to donate for food if you don't throw rock. We do not want to starve. You are fired."

And there you have it.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/09/the_purple_and_gold_masses_are.html#incart_river_index

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He is one of the few who could challenge Coach Saban. One of the reasons his coaching progeny aren't as successful as he, even though they know the process in and out, is that he is smarter than them all and his drive can't be topped. IMO, Herman would be his equal.
Oh boy, let's take the rhetoric down a notch. No doubt Herman is a good coach, but unless / until he proves he's 'Saban's equal' at a P5 school that's a pretty bold statement to make. I can't tell you how many times I've heard 'x is the next great coach, he's unstoppable' while he coached at East Popcorn State, only to watch the same coach wilt (or be mediocre at best) when running a premier program, having to play real, live opponents week in and out.

Herman may turn out to be the greatest coach in history, but let's wait until he actually accomplishes something before adding him to the Mt Rushmore of coaching...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Oh boy, let's take the rhetoric down a notch. No doubt Herman is a good coach, but unless / until he proves he's 'Saban's equal' at a P5 school that's a pretty bold statement to make. I can't tell you how many times I've heard 'x is the next great coach, he's unstoppable' while he coached at East Popcorn State, only to watch the same coach wilt (or be mediocre at best) when running a premier program, having to play real, live opponents week in and out.

Herman may turn out to be the greatest coach in history, but let's wait until he actually accomplishes something before adding him to the Mt Rushmore of coaching...
the former coaches at Boise State immediately spring to mind. Plus there was some guy at TCU.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Tide Man you're one of my favorites on here, and I love Jax State because Charlie Pell offered me a scholarship when I was a senior in high school, but, my Tide friend, LSU is gonna kill 'em.
LSU scares me now more than they ever have, because Les truly has reason to be afraid of losing his job. They're going to be hard to handle from here on out. Not saying they'll be a dominant team, but I promise you, they won't be so one dimensional.
Brandon Harris is still the QB and unless he learns over night how to be much better, I am not too worried about LSU.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Y'all realize if Miles beats us this whole conversation is for naught? And it would be just like him to do so, too. However, if you'll go look back at when Miles beat Saban, he either had Saban at a distinct disadvantage (the 2007 team was hardly Saban's other than he was the coach, the 2010 team had compiled game after game against rested competition) or something bizarre happened (2011 regular season). In all three of those wins, he had the talent on hand to even the odds. Note that the 2011 game is the only Saban loss to Miles where it can be rightly said CNS was at even strength and had HIS entire team set as he wanted it as did Miles.

And yes, there have been some classics, but Saban still owns Miles on it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's not just money, though, and Herman doesn't seem the type to dodge competition - no real competitor avoids playing the best.
True. That's where the Big 12 invite could change things for Houston. Then he gets the money, the competition, and the more direct route to the playoffs. Still, it's Houston and they are still way behind a program like LSU in prestige, fan support, money and facilities.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
the former coaches at Boise State immediately spring to mind.
I still think Peterson is a really good coach. Not Nick Saban good, but probably in the top ten or so coaches in college football. But, I've definitely been wrong before, so there's that.

Plus there was some guy at TCU.
Yep. There's no doubt that TCU kept the best coach on that staff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
the former coaches at Boise State immediately spring to mind. Plus there was some guy at TCU.
I've always thought Peterson would fail, but I believe Patterson is actually decent at a power 5 conference. A crazy loss kept him out of the playoffs but he took freeze the woodshed in Atlanta that same year. But I think the one thing going for Patterson is that he is comfortable where he is at and has made a brand at where he is at. Kinda like Snyder at ksu

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I still think Peterson is a really good coach. Not Nick Saban good, but probably in the top ten or so coaches in college football. But, I've definitely been wrong before, so there's that.

Yep. There's no doubt that TCU kept the best coach on that staff.
I've always thought Peterson would fail, but I believe Patterson is actually decent at a power 5 conference. A crazy loss kept him out of the playoffs but he took freeze the woodshed in Atlanta that same year. But I think the one thing going for Patterson is that he is comfortable where he is at and has made a brand at where he is at. Kinda like Snyder at ksu
There have been a couple other coaches at Boise State that have stumbled after Boise, Nutt and Hawkins.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The one thing that I think some people are taking for granted, is that a coach can come in and recruit in the level that Les Miles is sustaining. There are a few coaches that can recruit at the level of Les Miles. Meyer, Saban, Jimbo, may be Harbaugh and Dabo but who else? So, it is easy to imagine a particular coach coming in and winning with Les Miles talent, but what's to say he can sustain that talent? There have been plenty of great on field coaches who had trouble recruiting top level talent.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Assessing the future of LSU per the title?

They're going to lose on November 5th.

Nothing else really affects me, can I get an "Amen?"

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Exactly..I'll give Herman his due cause his players looked well coached, but, I remember when folks talked about Sumlin pretty much the same way & he was going to be the next offensive minded juggernaut of college football..Then when The Aggies hired him away from Houston, he had the one great "Johnny Football"year, then has pretty much fizzled out onto the coaching hot seat..You can never tell..

Seems to me Herman & Sumlin both did well at Houston because it's a hotbed for recruiting in it's backyard, a HC that gets that areas best players, has done really really well coaching at Houston..If Houston moves to The Big 12 Herman would foolish to leave, they said he would get a $5 million bonus, if Houston mover to any Power 5 Conference..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.