Pruitt vs. Smart as a DC- is the USC game a measuring stick?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Re: Would USC have scored only 6 points if Kirby Smart was still here?

It looks like Pruitt likes to attack on defense. Be the aggressor so to speak.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
A better test of Pruitt's acumen will be next year, when our D will be much, much younger everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Re: Would USC have scored only 6 points if Kirby Smart was still here?

Coaches often continue to improve as coaches as time goes by. They gain and learn from experience. Of course, we all know that. My point is it's not a completely fair comparison comparing what a coach did years ago at one school verses what he might do, later, at another place. But that's about the only measuring stick we have in discussing the merits of different coaches.

What I take from this thread is that Pruitt is what I call a quick learn...he gains from experience and gets better at what he does as time goes by. This improvement is at a faster or steeper pace than what many other assistant coaches exhibit.

So I've concluded that Kirby was a super DC, can't argue that. But Pruitt has impressed many with his ability as a DC, and seems to be getting better the longer he coaches. Let him work as Saban's DC for four or five more years and I bet he will be recognized as one of the very top DCs in the country. Then we could have a better comparison of Kirby's coaching compared to Pruitt's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A better test of Pruitt's acumen will be next year, when our D will be much, much younger everywhere

Ehh... It might not be as young as we think. Depends on the experience some guys get this year as well as what guys decide to leave early for the draft.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Coaches often continue to improve as coaches as time goes by. They gain and learn from experience. Of course, we all know that. My point is it's not a completely fair comparison comparing what a coach did years ago at one school verses what he might do, later, at another place. But that's about the only measuring stick we have in discussing the merits of different coaches.

What I take from this thread is that Pruitt is what I call a quick learn...he gains from experience and gets better at what he does as time goes by. This improvement is at a faster or steeper pace than what many other assistant coaches exhibit.

So I've concluded that Kirby was a super DC, can't argue that. But Pruitt has impressed many with his ability as a DC, and seems to be getting better the longer he coaches. Let him work as Saban's DC for four or five more years and I bet he will be recognized as one of the very top DCs in the country. Then we could have a better comparison of Kirby's coaching compared to Pruitt's.
Pruitt is already considered by many as one of the top DCs in the country. He's already improved the D at 2 big time schools: FSU and UGA. I'm repeating myself but I think he has already improved the D at the BIG DOG program. He is an upgrade to Smart, IMO, of course 😊. He held AU to 6 two weeks prior to Bama giving up 44. I know that's just one game, but...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Pruitt is already considered by many as one of the top DCs in the country. He's already improved the D at 2 big time schools: FSU and UGA. I'm repeating myself but I think he has already improved the D at the BIG DOG program. He is an upgrade to Smart, IMO, of course . He held AU to 6 two weeks prior to Bama giving up 44. I know that's just one game, but...
I'd LOVE to see him do that again this year.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I've always thought it really doesn't matter who is the D.C. But I could be wrong. My thoughts are that it's Saban's defense. I'm sure the D.C. Has a big impact on the individual training aspects.

But I guess I'm asking more than saying; does the D.C. call the defensive plays or does CNS?

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I've always thought it really doesn't matter who is the D.C. But I could be wrong. My thoughts are that it's Saban's defense. I'm sure the D.C. Has a big impact on the individual training aspects.

But I guess I'm asking more than saying; does the D.C. call the defensive plays or does CNS?

I don't believe CNS calls plays. The only thing I see him doing on the sideline is coaching players and assistants...and of course watching the game.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I don't believe CNS calls plays. The only thing I see him doing on the sideline is coaching players and assistants...and of course watching the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Saban has gotten away from calling each play on defense, or, for that matter, on offense. He's stated that he retains the right to veto any particular play but I don't really think does that much any more...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Ehh... It might not be as young as we think. Depends on the experience some guys get this year as well as what guys decide to leave early for the draft.
Especially the secondary.... If Marlon stays, only one we will lose is Eddie Jackson. If we had Marlon, and Averett at the corners, Minkah at Star and Ronnie and Tony at safety, might be the best group of 5 Saban has ever had.... Would make it a lot easier with a very green front 7. Seeing our top 4 WR's (Ridley, Foster, Stewart, Sims), starting QB and top 4 RB's will be back along with the majority of the OL minus Cam, an average D might be enough...,

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
It's still too early to tell, but I believe Pruitt will be an excellent DC, and I thought so when he was hired.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.