Pruitt vs. Smart as a DC- is the USC game a measuring stick?

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I would have loved to hear someone ask CNS about the differences in-game. Communication, play calls etc.
I think it would be interesting to hear his take, if he did more than praise each one and actually pointed out a couple differences.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The same with Jalen and BB, it is too early. I would be happy if Pruitt ='s Kirby. But after one game........we will know maybe midway next season.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I am happy that we got Pruitt because we got the advantages of familiarity with the program and scheme PLUS the experiences he learned from his stints at FSU and UGA. It won't be exactly the same but clearly a lot of it is the same.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I also got the feeling it was somewhat of a knock on some of the high scores Bama had given up the last few years, but everyone quickly turned it into an interesting discussion.
I had started to question if it wasn't time for a small change in tactics for our defense from what we were doing against hurry up teams and last second adjustments as Earl has pointed out.

I think UGA is toward the top for defense against a quality opponent with only 1 game to sample. Sometimes change is good. It will give other teams less tape and more to think about with a new defensive coordinator. I'm happy Kirby got a great job. Will just make other bright young coaches salivate at what they could do under Saban with our talent to boost their career.

A change can reinvigorate fans and players. It's one reason some colleges change their coach if things become stale and seem predictable along with a perception there is more talent than coaching on the sideline. See Les Miles.

One of Sabans best strengths is his network of coaches that would love the opportunity to become a major player on his staff.
Did I ever say I like our defense so far? Well I do. I can't really say for sure but we held USC without a touchdown. I didn't think we'd do quite that well against their offense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Would USC have scored only 6 points if Kirby Smart was still here?

I disagree that Kirby never made adjustments at halftime. Perhaps Pruitt might be better at it. But I can think of plenty of games where adjustments were made at halftime by Smart and we played much better on defense during the second half.
I meant that after 2 games against Nick Marshall, Kirby never figured how to stop AU, where Pruitt did it twice.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The defense certainly seemed to get set and make the right calls quicker - I wonder if CJP brought in a streamlined calling system.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Many of these players were coached up by Kirby, a coaching change lingers between the old and new coach. FSU won their recent NC with Pruitt in charge, but we also lit it up against Pruitt at Georgia......but that may have been the culture. There is no way to anoint Pruitt better than Kirby at this point. but I believe he was the best choice for the job. He is a Saban guy.

With all this QB and other talk, I really believe that USC is not as good as we thought they were. The true challenges lay ahead, and it's premature to crown anyone from QB to new assistants. What remains the same is the best collection and coached players in the country........Coach Saban, and imo, the best OC we have ever had.

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Many of these players were coached up by Kirby, a coaching change lingers between the old and new coach. FSU won their recent NC with Pruitt in charge, but we also lit it up against Pruitt at Georgia......but that may have been the culture. There is no way to anoint Pruitt better than Kirby at this point. but I believe he was the best choice for the job. He is a Saban guy.

With all this QB and other talk, I really believe that USC is not as good as we thought they were. The true challenges lay ahead, and it's premature to crown anyone from QB to new assistants. What remains the same is the best collection and coached players in the country........Coach Saban, and imo, the best OC we have ever had.

This!! ^^^^^

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama

To me it looked like the same principles Bama used last year. However I think snap to effect times we're faster two seconds or less. I'm not sure how much of this is JP vs him benefitting from the process. He doesn't have to reinvent the wheel here.

I know this years D is different, fastest I've ever seen and they play mean across the board. We have some real thumpers. I can't remember seeing so many Bingo licks in a single game ever. Opposing QBs better be decisive and prompt which should be taxing considering only four guys are needed for penetration. AND we aren't blitzing as much which is great. I was so tired of seeing 3rd and sixteen get converted time and again. I love this years D! Nasty!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I'd like to think so. Kirby did a great job for many seasons so I think it's way too soon to suggest that Pruitt is as good or better than Kirby. It was just one game.
Kirby had many seasons working closely with Coach Saban to learn what Defenses for each type play worked best. While Pruitt worked for Coach Saban it wasn't in the role of Coordinator. Difference in duties and expectations.
IMO: The whole first quarter we felt out USC and learned their tendencies on Offense and Defense.
The first game of every year is kind of a feel em out game for Offense and for Defense. The Defense 12-13 games from now will look and operate smother and faster.

This early in the season it's hard to tell if Pruitt called a better game than Smart would have. Every situation is a little different, also different players on Offense and on our Defense make a big difference.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Really? Is this what you are thinking about today?

We just whipped USC, watched a true freshman spark the offense, and watched a magnificent defensive performance from an incredibly athletic and fast defense.

And you want to know what would have happened if Kirby Smart was still here.

:rolleyes:
Not to throw a wet blanket on our Defense, but USC mailed it in the 2nd half. They were beaten early and part of their guys quit on em.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

14 of the 38 points UGA gave up to Bama were scored by the D (int ) return and ST (blocked punt). Another TD was from a short field caused by an int. UGA forced 8 3 and outs and one 4 and out.

Having said that, I agree with your primary point that knowing who is the best will take a while. Even then it will probably still be subjective. IMO, Pruitt is a definite upgrade, but it can't truly be proven.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Not to throw a wet blanket on our Defense, but USC mailed it in the 2nd half. They were beaten early and part of their guys quit on em.
Why frame your own comment as a "wet blanket"? The defense was so completely amazing, hit so hard, won so many battles, they made their ***** quit. Is there a higher compliment?

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Most noticeable thing to me was that this years team is so fast, you did not see many solo tackles. We had 4 or more guys around the ball on almost every play.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I had many doubts about Pruitt as he progressed from The U, in part because that show made him look like such a rube. I doubted him here, I doubted his ability at FSU because they were blessed with a defensive roster of NFL draft picks, but I started to turn my thinking when he went to Georgia. Their D got better. Saban trusts him, and the first game was an awesome debut. As Earle said, they guy has learned a lot. Let's see where this comparison stands after Ole Miss, who looked like the 84 Dolphins for a half.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.