MARK MY WORD: Sarkisian will replace Kiffin as OC when Lane takes HC job

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Re: MARK MY WORD: Sarkisian will replace Kiffen as OC when Lane takes HC job

Why would you not like to face Lane Kiffin as head coach? He is a very good OC but there is no evidence to suggest that he would be a threat to Alabama as a head coach. If he was, USC wouldn't have let him go.
I think there must have been a lot going on behind the scene at USC concerning the AD Pat Haden. Pete Carroll got out of town just as the NCAA was bearing down on the Trojans and Pat Haden decided to stay when he should have run. The arrogance of Pat Haden and the PTB couldn't bring themselves to admit that sanctions could hurt their football team. I don't believe for a minute that they didn't know to what extent Coach Sarkisian was drinking booze but were willing to overlook it because they thought he could keep them in contention for the Pac championship and NC even through the sanctions and when it became clear he couldn't they fired him for his boozing. Look for Coach Clay Helton to get thrown under the bus next because Helton isn't good enough to bring USCw back to the top. I don't believe that CNS brought Sarkisian in to groom him for the OC job at Bama, he was showing what kind of heart he has by refusing to let USCw destroy the lives of 2 of his colleagues. They were too good of coaches for CNS to sit and watch that go down I would imagine that CLK kept CNS tuned into the antics of USCw. USC kept Pat Haden on as an administrator even after he stepped down and even after he was caught funneling 2.4 million dollars to his family as well as to USCw over a 17 year period that he was chairman of the G.H. Mayr foundation, a scholarship foundation that was intended to help the poor. S.C. kept Haden on to keep his mouth shut. Enter Lynn Swann as AD to clean it all up and to appease the NCAA.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

...USC kept Pat Haden on as an administrator ... even after he was caught funneling 2.4 million dollars to his family as well as to USCw over a 17 year period that he was chairman of the G.H. Mayr foundation...
So many potential NonSports jokes; so little desire to get a TideFans suspension...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I eluded the same thing in another thread that it feels mores that bama is preparing for the future with adding the coach from Maryland and now Stark. This may not lead to CLK being the coach in waiting but I do believe that Saban will have a plan in place to keep everything competitive when he does choose to retire. I do have to note that its amazing how the time changes. How many fans would have been ok with even the though of CLK Being the next HC at BAMA? Nevertheless him being here this long?
Im just excited about how things have worked out thus far and the possibility of what we can accomplish with the offense

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I think there must have been a lot going on behind the scene at USC concerning the AD Pat Haden. Pete Carroll got out of town just as the NCAA was bearing down on the Trojans and Pat Haden decided to stay when he should have run.
Pat Haden wasn't at USC when Pete Carroll left. He was still working for a private equity firm and, I think, calling some college games. Mike Garrett was the AD when Carroll left in Jan 2010. Haden didn't come in until Aug 2010.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No knock on those wishing to discuss future coaches, but I hate these speculative threads. I know, if you don't like em don't click 'em. Well just because I don't like them doesn't mean I shall refrain from commenting.:smile:

Could it possibly be an even better move than the Lane hire? Is there a coach in football that Saban doesn't know?

And if we have a coach in waiting (wherever they may be) I hope he's 85 years old when the job becomes available.
I think it's about the same kinda move. I think lane is way more animated, but they are both practically the same in that they are great offensive minds. Personally if I was given a choice between the two I would probably take lane over sark. If sark was to become our OC then it would be like CJP replacing CKS in that we wouldn't miss a step or in some ways we could have a little more hop to it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

A lot of Tide fans here and otherwise figured ole Kirby Smart was our coach-in-waiting. We were all wrong there and honestly, Kiff will get an HC offer some day and probably soon. Fact is, we don't have a coach-in-waiting.
I agree. A coach in waiting given to the public seems to have been a fad. Two big ones, Muschamp at Texas ended up at Florida (with little outcry), and Jimbo had to wait a pretty long time. If there are coach in waiting's, I think they are in house. And yes, I don't think we had or will have one public or not. It will be very hard to replace coach Saban, who is Coach Bryant to my sons generation. 4 NC's in less than a decade here is crazy.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I agree. A coach in waiting given to the public seems to have been a fad. Two big ones, Muschamp at Texas ended up at Florida (with little outcry), and Jimbo had to wait a pretty long time. If there are coach in waiting's, I think they are in house. And yes, I don't think we had or will have one public or not. It will be very hard to replace coach Saban, who is Coach Bryant to my sons generation. 4 NC's in less than a decade here is crazy.
Of course a coach in waiting is in-house. Don't think a coach in waiting is going to be on somebody else's staff. Muschamp at Texas was the last coach in waiting at least publically I can recall and that has been 6 years so I think that fad has moved on.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Of course a coach in waiting is in-house. Don't think a coach in waiting is going to be on somebody else's staff. Muschamp at Texas was the last coach in waiting at least publically I can recall and that has been 6 years so I think that fad has moved on.
You agreed with 100% other than word play. In house meaning not public, a coach in waiting CAN be public too. None of us know this information, but I suspect there are assumed coaches in waiting somewhere but in house, not public. My main point was it being public did not work out well, was kind of a fad during the coach hoping years and I have not seen it recently. I never liked it.

Last edited:

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Imo, if the Auburn job come open, Kiffin will be in the mix, just like KS was. He is a much better OC than Gus and will have 3 years under Coach Saban. I do not want this to happen, but the recruiting ground could make him a good choice, with a 4 million a year offer. And I believe Coach Saban will give his blessings.
Respect your opinion but I wouldn't think so, Kiffin is obviously one hell of an O coordinator, but what has he proved that he can be the head coach? I think he's going to have to go to a school outside of the sec to rejuvenate his career as a head coach and see if he's learned anything before he gets any gig in the SEC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Respect your opinion but I wouldn't think so, Kiffin is obviously one hell of an O coordinator, but what has he proved that he can be the head coach? I think he's going to have to go to a school outside of the sec to rejuvenate his career as a head coach and see if he's learned anything before he gets any gig in the SEC
Just to play devil's advocate, what coach at auburn since tuberville has been anything more than a glorified coordinator? Kiffin atleast had decent years at Tennessee and USC, both of which have extreme recruiting disadvantages ( USC because of probation). Gus spent 1 year at Arkansas st, and chizik had one of the worst records in a short period of time and still got hired. Kiffin actually beats both of them in terms of being proven, and it's obvious that auburn doesn't value a balanced coaching philosophy over a yes man ( I'll get to this shortly) and a coach that can give Nick Saban a headache.

Let's start with the latter first because it fits Kiffin in a weird way. They hired Gus mostly because they believed his offense could give Saban and Smart's defense heck like it did in 2010. At the start it did, but like 2011 showed that Gus is only good as his qb. Now you see Gus going into full panic mode at home because he doesn't see Shaun white as the answer long term to his specific style of offense. Bottom line gus doesn't know what the word "adjust" means when it is obvious his best qb isn't a typical qb for his system. Where Kiffin would give CNS fits is that he knows what the word "adjust" is, and Jake Coker is a prime example of his brilliance. Also Kiffin, from what a lot of hs coaches that I know that have met both, seems to be less arrogant than Gus, and could most likely be a better match for CNS at recruiting. Not saying it would be close , but better than Gus

Now to the yes man comment... This is why I doubt Kiffin goes to auburn. I seriously doubt he could put up with yella fella, pat dye, mcgregor, and the family down on the plains constantly in his business and making suggestions. I think there is a higher probability that Kiffin would take the LSU or Houston job at the end of the year if Les or Herman aren't still coaching at those schools for some reason ;)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Why would you not like to face Lane Kiffin as head coach? He is a very good OC but there is no evidence to suggest that he would be a threat to Alabama as a head coach. If he was, USC wouldn't have let him go.
He's an "offensive" coach and except for his brief tenure at UT (and even then look what he did with a zero QB) has proven that; how many other coaches in the SEC have his offensive resume (specifically pro style)? None - not even Gus.
Sumlin isn't close, Freeze is still a work in progress.
Some teams fan bases (and powerful alums) are tired of their teams inability to score points - and LK can do that.
With much less talent he almost upset Bama at UT.
No, I'd rather not see Bama face him year in and year out, especially at the Barn or Whoville. For that very reason.
And to others saying there's no chance he'll coach in the SEC: I said I hope he doesn't. But I also explained why I think he might.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Pat Haden wasn't at USC when Pete Carroll left. He was still working for a private equity firm and, I think, calling some college games. Mike Garrett was the AD when Carroll left in Jan 2010. Haden didn't come in until Aug 2010.
Pat Haden was the chairman for the G.H. Mayr foundation when he was funneling the 2.4 million dollars to his family and USC.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga

If the Auburn job opens up I think CNS would encourage CLK to interview but would hope he would tell him not to take the job if offered. Not the place he needs to restart his head coaching career. Now if the LSU job opens up I think that would be a whole other story. RTR

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
who thinks Kiffin will be back next year after that tail/chewing he took from Saban at the end of the game that's gone viral. And who thinks Kif will probably take Sark with him.

I know it's a long season, but Kif has attitude and for a person with attitude, that's hard to take.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
who thinks Kiffin will be back next year after that tail/chewing he took from Saban at the end of the game that's gone viral. And who thinks Kif will probably take Sark with him.

I know it's a long season, but Kif has attitude and for a person with attitude, that's hard to take.
He won't be back because his contract ended and he'll be hired away. That chewing has been caught by cameras at least twice a year the past two seasons. Nothing new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

I've seen it happen several times before though. Kiffin has swallowed his pride on a few occasions since joining the Tide.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
It looked like Saban made a brief strong comment to Kif, and Kif probably should have shut up, but whatever Kif said back to Saban made Nick go off from there.

I think this may have had something to do with the fumble play at the end of the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.