You Are Looking Live at Western Kentucky - A look at WKU

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Do yall think that Saban puts in games like this just to get the guys used to teams throwing it all over the place, a la Ole Miss etc. Kind of like a dress rehearsal you should win, but it gives you the look of other teams you will see later on during the year? Krymsonman
Yes...

There have been several of our ooc games over the past several years that gave us a look at a similar offense to what we'll face later in the season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
To me, most important is getting through the game without any injuries. I want us to be as close to full strength as we can be against OM.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
They are what I'd call a pro-style spread offense but with no-huddle. Their QB last year threw for 5000 yards. The new QB is in a similar type of QB...more of a pure passer than a runner. They use the shotgun to allow their QB to sling it out quick rather than open up zone read plays. From what I've seen on video, they seemed to have their QB a little further back in the shotgun than we usually go. They use some sweep motions for moving the defense around and occasionally for the same flip pass we use. They threw it 61 times against LSU last year. Put up 325 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT. They like having the tailback around as a safety valve in the passing patterns.

This is a true test for our defense. Not that they're athletically equivelent but simply because stylistically this team will test your DL depth and secondary which happen to be one of the few questions we have about this defensive unit in 2016.
In spite of the quick passing game, if our guys cover well I see a lot of pressure/coverage sacks. I put the over/under of total sacks at 10. Which are you taking, the over or under?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Someone asked about that in another thread. Posting here what I posted there:
Yah, I don't expect to lose to WKY, but this is a really good QB on a really good offense. We might totally stuff them (I certainly hope so), but I just wanted to point out to some of our posters that they aren't walking into BDS expecting to lose.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
In spite of the quick passing game, if our guys cover well I see a lot of pressure/coverage sacks. I put the over/under of total sacks at 10. Which are you taking, the over or under?
The under. Getting 10 sacks in a game is near impossible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Its a good tune up game right before Ole miss. both team throws a lot, and move fast. If we do well against WKU, then we should get lot better against Ole Miss.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Its a good tune up game right before Ole miss. both team throws a lot, and move fast. If we do well against WKU, then we should get lot better against Ole Miss.

I was thinking the same thing reading through this thread. I hope they are even more up tempo than Ole Miss so that by comparison the game slows down for our defense next week. Don't want to overlook this team because a poor showing in a win will generate UT-APP ST. like conversation from the bobble-heads at ESPN and the second tier bloggers would be much worse.

I don't expect a lack of focus. Coaches usually drill it in their heads and there is still too much competition for a spot with the ones for guys to look ahead. At least that is my hope.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.