30+ Charleston Southern players suspended for FSU game

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
So basically about 30+ players on my team including me have been suspended for using book money to buy other things in the book store like pencils, binders, and electronics, out of our school bookstore. We would have left over book money and the workers in the bookstore advised us to spend the money because we would not get it back, so we did. Now the school and NCAA are saying that is against the rules. So we all have to pay a fine and sit out a game. About 30mins before practice started I was given the option of sitting out this week against FSU or next game against a conference opponent.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...say-30-plus-teammates-suspended-for-fsu-game/

Seems downright silly to me that NCAA determines you need a book for class but you don't need paper or pens. But then I don't know if electronics was DVD's or not.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
It may very well be a witch hunt by the NCAA. It would be interesting to know that the "electronics" were. In the end, I'd like to think that players these days would know better than to take the advice of a bookstore employee on matters like this.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Oh my! If this is the case the "mercy rule" may be needed in this game. While there is no "mercy rule" in the NCAA I think it can still be done if both coaches agree.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Having been a former student-athlete, no one ever tells those with book money that it is only spent on books. It was assumed that if it was spent on books and related school supplies, you were good.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Having been a former student-athlete, no one ever tells those with book money that it is only spent on books. It was assumed that if it was spent on books and related school supplies, you were good.
I completely understand your point but the phrase "no one ever tells those with book money that it is only spent on books," is pretty funny. I guess the idea is that books can in no way be used for anything other than education, but other items, even pencils and notebooks, are not necessarily used in the classroom so they are an incorrect usage of those funds. Just a guess. If the expenditures are indeed "office items" then this would be absurd but I probably feel like the bookstore (if it was anything like my alma mater) also sells other items like headphones, clothing, candy & snacks and other items that athletes would probably rather have than pencils and notebooks.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A CSU Player said:
It is unfortunate that Charleston Southern University only cares about itself as an institution. The protection of the student athletes should be the number one priority. This is the second time in two years I am ineligible to participate due to issues that could have been avoided if the necessary steps had been taken by Charleston.
The rule may be silly, but this smacks to me of a player that has trouble accepting responsibility for his actions. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Do they even have enough guys to field a team? Doesn't this put Charleston Southern in a dangerous situation? My guess is after halftime we will get a running clock for this game.

I had to get a special letter to get a calculator while I was on scholarship. The letter had to state that the calculator was necessary and a requirement for the class. This was a scholarship rule that you could only buy books with your book money. I still bought paper, pens, pencils with scholarship money. I am very curious to know what "electronics" means.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Can non-student athletes who have scholarships use their extra money for what ever they want? If so, then shouldn't the athletes be afforded the same opportunity. I hate the NCAA, there rules are out dated. If they get money as part of their scholarships and they have some left after buying books then who cares what they use the extra for, better to let them use it for something then to just let it disappear.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm bewildered at the lack of respect that the university is showing us athletes and student body as a whole. ... Nobody is going to want to come to a 'university' where students and athletes alike are treated lesser than every other college student.
This also smacks of a "I am not responsible for what I do" attitude.
I would bet dollars to donuts that CSU tells "You are not entitled to anything that every CSU student is not entitled to. If you are not sure, ask the Compliance department first."

CSU is allowed to have 63 scholarship students. Now, down 30, they should have 33 student-athletes. This could be bad.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds CSU needs to overhaul their compliance department to properly teach their student athletes all the NCAA rules and regulations..
Agreed, but remember that these things cost money, and schools like CSU don't have any.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.