Anybody Else Concerned About OL?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I feel like we've had a thread like this every year since I've joined TF. I think we will be alright. Just not sure if we will be alright by next week (and I really want a W against Ole Mi$$.)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They are going to have to improve their run blocking, put the pass protection has been very good. Since the strength of this Alabama team is your pass game (by a long shot), you will have time to get that together. Also, the weakness of the Ole Miss defense is their secondary.

IMO, you have until the Arkansas game to get this fixed. You will be fine.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My hope is that Shank gets back into the rotation and Piersbacher can move back to LG. Gets both of them back into their more natural positions, which should help the line gel.

I'm not too worried. Feels like a similar trajectory to last year. Took a few games to get things together then we got rolling. They are very good at pass blocking; need to improve on the run blocking.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pass blocking is A1. Just gotta hit some of those deep balls to take the 8th man out of the box. And if I were a DC, I'd dare a true freshman QB to beat me too. Jalen is gonna need to break some records through the air this year. He has the weapons outside to do it. Might as well light it up.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The good thing about opponents stacking the box is it makes for easier reads for Hurts. Until our OL figures somethings out we're going to be a passing team, mixed with some misdirection and quarterback runs. Once the OL starts to gel we'll start to see more of the power running game. If Bo doesn't grow with the offensive line I expect to see more of freshman RB's and Harris. Right now Bo doesn't look like a running back. Just a big guy running like ram rod at the offensive line.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Saban plays every play like the game is tied against a quality opponent. He put out some bad signals yesterday, the OL is one of them. So many thought we were 2016 after the USC team, coach Saban brought me back to earth. He did not act this way last year at this time. Maybe he has higher expectations, but he used extreme adjectives.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Coach Saban plays every play like the game is tied against a quality opponent. He put out some bad signals yesterday, the OL is one of them. So many thought we were 2016 after the USC team, coach Saban brought me back to earth. He did not act this way last year at this time. Maybe he has higher expectations, but he used extreme adjectives.
I think you hit it with high expectations. This is probably the most talented team in Bama history, challenging the 01-02 Miami teams. Not only will at least 20 of the 22 starters be drafted, but 7-10 on D and 4-6 on O will likely be first or second round draft picks. Apparently great leaders on D. A budding QB with good upside.

As far as units: elite DL, LB, secondary, WRs, TE; good RBs, OT; likely good QB;?interior OL?.

This team is insanely talented. Coach Saban does not want to let this NC get away.

chains

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2009
Some thoughts
* Offense at all levels is about explosive plays now days.
* our OL has work to do, but about all DL are MUCH better athletes than OL. If not, they would be on offense.
* Run games are better when you can throw the ball. Our run game will open up because we can hit explosive pass plays.
* Whether we become great at running the ball or not, we will always put up points because we have explosive WR.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
nervous about Piersbacher. He is not the same lineman that as a RS FR dominated last season. I think it is the shuffling, IMO. Practiced all but basically one week of camp at C, then moved to RG.

Bozeman I think is better at guard then center. Has trouble snapping and then having to reach block--- the only time I ever saw Kelly mess up last season was against OM on a reach block.

If we can just nail down 5 positions and say "this is the 5" I think we will be fine. But, Bozeman and Piersbacher are both playing a little afraid of losing their positions, especially with Shank off suspension.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You think Shank is going to reassume RG and Piersbacher moves back to center? It was later in the game when WKU's D was certainly gassed but I thought Shank improved some things with his presence.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
You think Shank is going to reassume RG and Piersbacher moves back to center? It was later in the game when WKU's D was certainly gassed but I thought Shank improved some things with his presence.
There had to be a reason for the late switch away from C from Piersbacher, so the coaches obviously think Bozeman is a better C than Piersbacher is. Shank looked a little slow at first. Needs another week of practice. Really can't move Cotton, either, because he's done well.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The center was snapping the ball too high almost the entire game yesterday. Definitely caused one turnover.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There had to be a reason for the late switch away from C from Piersbacher, so the coaches obviously think Bozeman is a better C than Piersbacher is. Shank looked a little slow at first. Needs another week of practice. Really can't move Cotton, either, because he's done well.
Piersbacher played LG last season, center 3 weeks of fall camp, and now 3 weeks at right guard. Imo, that is alot of adjustment for one player and doing it with a new coach to boot. Obviously he is our most versatile lineman otherwise he would not be asked to do it.

In don't really know what the solution is with the line. What I don't understand is Piersbacher played well at LG last year. It seems you would leave him there for continuity and put Cotton at RG of course then one whole side of the line would be new faces but what do I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Looks like the board is about evenly split between:
1. Concerned
2. Not concerned
3. Will get better, current struggles notwithstanding

Whichever way it goes, we'll know a lot more this time next week.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Piersbacher played LG last season, center 3 weeks of fall camp, and now 3 weeks at right guard. Imo, that is alot of adjustment for one player and doing it with a new coach to boot. Obviously he is our most versatile lineman otherwise he would not be asked to do it.

In don't really know what the solution is with the line. What I don't understand is Piersbacher played well at LG last year. It seems you would leave him there for continuity and put Cotton at RG of course then one whole side of the line would be new faces but what do I know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
RP moved over to center for all of Spring camp, not just for fall.

It is a lot of change though, especially moving over to RG the week before the season started.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.