Is Coach seeing things the average fan is not? He has been livid.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I always thought we might drop one or two this year starting either of the freshman QB's. If you ask the average fan, we are a rolling ball of thunder, but coach Saban is not as happy this year at this point to last. He is back to Kirby's 10/10 on the wild man scale. Why is that?

Is the team not as good as we think? Or are they not just playing up to the expectations that Coach believes they should play. This team may be 2010 redux. Will it improve like the 2016 team to nearly flawless at seasons end.

The next game is like a championship game. If not for a fluke play by Arky over Ole Miss we would have not even played for the SEC.

Coach Saban imo, sees every play as a tied game in the mid fourth against a quality opponent, hence why he gets livid when we make mental errors, or make high risk calls at any point.

Any comments on this team after game 2? Coach Saban is not on the same page with many fans, but you never know his motives.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He knows exactly what every player is supposed to be doing on every play, so yes, he knows more. But he may also just be sending messages, so I wouldn't worry about that yet. No sense trying to read minds.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He knows exactly what every player is supposed to be doing on every play, so yes, he knows more. But he may also just be sending messages, so I wouldn't worry about that yet. No sense trying to read minds.
I am beyond reading minds, I have my own opinions from observation. This is a separate question, but better to use the head coach than my opinions.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I am by far not an expert but I see problems that could effect us against a quality opponent. We have unreal talent but it is not on the same page but that is not to say we can't win every game. If this team gels records will fall.

Last edited:

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
Of course he sees things the average fan doesn't see, especially after watching the game film. But, even the average fan notices the 12 penalties, under thrown balls, and missed tackles. Those are self-inflicted. Those and poor clock management at the end of the game, which led to the TD, would drive a perfectionist like CNS, completely crazy. Good part is they are correctable. Hurts just needs more snaps, and focus for the rest of the team. And in defense of Tim Williams, the QB threw the ball with his left hand, and his view was obstructed. He was just finishing the play.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't get the vibe that this team is like 2010. Maybe I'm not remembering well though. But this year's defense is playing with enthusiasm every down, and they have been dominant. I don't sense a bit of complacency on that side of the ball. The offense has been boom or bust, without much consistency but there are a lot of inexperienced guys at key positions. The 2010 offense was loaded with returning starters.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Coming off a championship season he is worried about complacency. Against WKU we had too many penalties but basically won by the margin the oddsmakers predicted, yet Coach Saban was upset. IMO the reason he was upset is that we have a huge game next. Might be our toughest game of the regular season. He wants to get the players fired up and focused. Only way to do that is to convince them that they'll get their butt kicked if they don't play better.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
the way i am hearing it, coach is trying to get a potentially great team (including coaches) to focus on what they need to do to be a championship team and not worry about how awesome they are.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Of course he sees things the average fan doesn't see, especially after watching the game film. But, even the average fan notices the 12 penalties, under thrown balls, and missed tackles. Those are self-inflicted. Those and poor clock management at the end of the game, which led to the TD, would drive a perfectionist like CNS, completely crazy. Good part is they are correctable. Hurts just needs more snaps, and focus for the rest of the team. And in defense of Tim Williams, the QB threw the ball with his left hand, and his view was obstructed. He was just finishing the play.
Good post. The part about Coach Saban seeing things was tongue in cheek. I saw those things as well. It is worth noting that he is not that happy right now, for whatever reason. But.......there could be many. I have a psychology minor and like many, know how he uses the media, he did last year. But he seems a little more harsh, urgent.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Saban's chewing of Kiffin is a perfect example of why he is the best. Never cares about the score, the play is mid 4th game tied. Unless he authorizes some sort of experimentation.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
"Is the team not as good as we think? Or are they not just playing up to the expectations that Coach believes they should play. This team may be 2010 redux. Will it improve like the 2016 team to nearly flawless at seasons end. "

Imo, the team is capable of executing much more efficiently on offense regardless of new leadership in certain positions. The recent lack of focus/attention contributed to unnecessary penalties and sluggish performance during certain drives.... With that stated, I think CNS expects consistency through each player performing to their capabilities. While this weekends game performance may be enough to win against some teams, it most definitely won't be against better talented teams. Plus if the players don't strive for the best performance they can--consistently then the wrong behavior/habits could develop.... RTR

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
Good post. The part about Coach Saban seeing things was tongue in cheek. I saw those things as well. It is worth noting that he is not that happy right now, for whatever reason. But.......there could be many. I have a psychology minor and like many, know how he uses the media, he did last year. But he seems a little more harsh, urgent.
well to be honest we are all a bit spoiled. Myself included. WkU, is not a bad football team. And they played well Saturday. The only glaring problem I was concerned about was Hurts under throwing the ball. Against a better secondary two of those could have been interceptions. Again, he is a true freshmen and just needs more game time under his belt. Heading to ol miss this week, I think the coaching staff will have him getting the ball out a bit quicker which should solve that problem. RollTideRoll

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Coming off a championship season he is worried about complacency. Against WKU we had too many penalties but basically won by the margin the oddsmakers predicted, yet Coach Saban was upset. IMO the reason he was upset is that we have a huge game next. Might be our toughest game of the regular season. He wants to get the players fired up and focused. Only way to do that is to convince them that they'll get their butt kicked if they don't play better.
Nailed it!

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
He sees the practice each day of the week and the execution on Saturday. What I'm hearing is that the focus during practice is not there and it shows on Saturday. CNS knows what they are capable of doing and it doesn't equal what they are doing. He appears frustrated that he personally has not motivated the player and coach to give him their all. CNS doesn't accept the "it's no big deal" attitude when you make a mistake and maybe he is seeing too much of it lately.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
To me, it's the discipline issues (false starts, personal fouls, substitution infractions) that have coach frustrated the most. In addition, you have Kiffin calling cute pitch passes up 38-3 from our side of the 50 with less than two minutes left. I can see why he is upset.

However, I do think he is putting on a little bit. I think he feels like this team has great potential, and he wants to make sure we are 100% focused when we head to Oxford.

Personally, I wasn't surprised by Saturday's performance. It's happened almost every year after a big game week one. Question is can they rebound and do what's needed to win on the road this week against a tough team? I think they can and will.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
well to be honest we are all a bit spoiled. Myself included. WkU, is not a bad football team. And they played well Saturday. The only glaring problem I was concerned about was Hurts under throwing the ball. Against a better secondary two of those could have been interceptions. Again, he is a true freshmen and just needs more game time under his belt. Heading to ol miss this week, I think the coaching staff will have him getting the ball out a bit quicker which should solve that problem. RollTideRoll
What got me in the presser is that 'he has never been more disappointed in a loss, maybe ever'. That sounds urgent. But he is so complex in the flip. He did mention the play of the "quarterbacks", like they both had a future tense. My gut is that he has lost to Ole Miss 2 times in row, and that may have jacked up the urgency some.

My main concern is the Oline. It is the sloppiest since maybe 2010.......but out the gate. The penalties were not a problem the last couple of years. That is my worry. Good thing is that we are coming off a NC with a quarterback of the future. No talk of washed up this year. But this next game is huge.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Defense is playing hungry.

Offense is playing out of sync most of the time, too many penalties. Freshman QB. OL hasn't gelled yet. Glad to see Ridley do well, his body language during the first game had me worried.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.