Question: How Impressed Are You With The RBs???

I dunno man. Having Raekwon Davis available could be huge. If he is as advertised then reps could be cut in half for another lineman (in theory) - just having 1 or 2 serviceable palyers to spell starters goes a really long way. Also the example and leadership from the front line has been stellar so far. Though, nobody has been bound and determined to run it up the gut yet this year.
I am really hoping. Depth is huge for that defense to do what it does.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I am not trying to defend Bo, but you can tell he is 100% and that's mainly the reason he wasn't practicing as much prior to the season. they have kept his reps down to prevent any injuries. with that said, Bo is not your shotgun RB. he is your classic downhill runner who will maul you if you get in his way. he needs to line up in the I formation with 2 TEs and a QB under center that way he has a head start when contact is made. this is who he is. heck, even the pistol formation would be better than lining in shotgun. the good news is that Bama has a bevy of solid backs all having different styles and will only get better as the OLine begins to gel.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To be quite honest, the run blocking has been so inconsistent it has been hard for me to figure it out. Scarbough needs a crease to get his wheels going but I think he's quite capable...just hasn't got the blocks. Harris has missed some cuts and pass protection assignments but I think he's probably the best overall back. Looks like he's a solid pass catching option. Emmons has potential. I liked what I saw of Jacobs too.

All of these guys are really talented. We just need it to gel up front.

NorthernTide

Scout Team
Aug 7, 2006
Largo, FL.
I think what we're seeing is the"experience" factor playing out. Harris , last year, looked a lot Bo does, just a half step slow//tentative when he hits the hole. The more carries he and BJ get, we will see steady improvement. I think by 10rc Bo will be a force, but for now Harris is our 1st option. FWIW

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I am not trying to defend Bo, but you can tell he is 100% and that's mainly the reason he wasn't practicing as much prior to the season. they have kept his reps down to prevent any injuries. with that said, Bo is not your shotgun RB. he is your classic downhill runner who will maul you if you get in his way. he needs to line up in the I formation with 2 TEs and a QB under center that way he has a head start when contact is made. this is who he is. heck, even the pistol formation would be better than lining in shotgun. the good news is that Bama has a bevy of solid backs all having different styles and will only get better as the OLine begins to gel.
I was thinking something similar to this in regard to all the backs and whole running game. I was wondering if all the option stuff has fundamentally altered our dominant run game. Henry, as I recall, was way more effective in I formation. I don't know enough about blocking schemes, but I also wonder whether some OL issues are due to either changed blocking scheme or else keeping the same schemes despite a different style of play.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I watched a lot of Bos HS highlights, and he rarely was in the I. Most of the time he was lined up next to a QB in the shotgun.

I think the real issue is he has to get used to holes being smaller and closing faster, then having the confidence to hit the hole hard anyway. It'll come to him as he gets more game reps and is able to see the film. Coaches will show him the hole and that if he was just half a step quicker to the hole that he'd clear the line

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I think we will see improvement each week with the running backs. They are all talented and able, with Damien and Bo being our top 2. More push up front will help them, just as it helped Henry last year...there were so many times that he wasn't touched until he was back to the line of scrimmage or beyond it. By then, a RB has some momentum built up and breaks the first tackle or two.

As far as running Bo out of the shotgun versus the I formation - maybe we are missing #46 from last year?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think we will see improvement each week with the running backs. They are all talented and able, with Damien and Bo being our top 2. More push up front will help them, just as it helped Henry last year...there were so many times that he wasn't touched until he was back to the line of scrimmage or beyond it. By then, a RB has some momentum built up and breaks the first tackle or two.

As far as running Bo out of the shotgun versus the I formation - maybe we are missing #46 from last year?
We rarely ran in the i formation last year. It was a short yardage and goal line package for.the most part. We also ran three wrs as often as we had two tights and a vast majority of the time out of the shotgun

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
It could be a problem in this game. I have since thought about it and I think we will be fine. Their hurry up offense will test our depth though.
You're right, we're not as deep as we were and this year we have a few bodies without some game experience but like you said, we'll be fine. I'm hoping we see more of Davis and Hand this weekend.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They are terrible. I think that you should banish them all to Ohio State.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.