NCAA gives North Carolina the shaft, Pulls Out...

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
While the NCAA does not operate the postseason FBS bowl games or the College Football Playoff, it does certify bowls before each season. Since bowls already have been certified for the season, the NCAA could still decertify a bowl, making any student-athlete who participated in the game ineligible.
If the NCAA is truly committed to this cause, they need to decertify the Belk Bowl that is scheduled to be played in Charlotte on Dec 29, 2016.

I'll be holding my breath until they do.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Long thread titles can still be teaser titles....what's worse is when the initial post is a teaser too.
Yeah. My first impression, after reading the title and the original post, was that the NCAA had announced something about penalties in UNC's academic fraud case.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Long thread titles can still be teaser titles....what's worse is when the initial post is a teaser too.
Oh good grief! Have you looked at the examples of what counts as a teaser title in the FAQ? And, there's a link in the OP, click the link, man. If I had put "NCAA pulls out of NC" you wouldn't have any problem with it. I put in a little play on words and now you are confused. There wouldn't even be any confusion except there happens to exist a second current event which happens to overlap, both involving the NCAA and North Carolina.

Anyway, my interest is not in the North Carolina law, per se, but in whether the NCAA, which is just a functional governing body for it's members, ought to be making any kind of political statement like this. It's different than the MLB or NFL, which are privately owned for profit leagues. It seems way over the top to think that the NCAA governors are really a representative body suited to make judgments about external political affairs on behalf of its members. I thought the NCAA existed to govern it's own members, not to use the collective weight of its members for political pressure. They've effectively turned the NCAA into a political organization. Having taken a stand on one issue, how can they put the genie back in the bottle, how can they now avoid having to have a position on every issue? Or to put it another way, how can they avoid becoming just another instrument for a tiny minority of people who only see the world as a place to advance their political agenda. I don't find the move courageous at all; I find it most of all about image, money, and political correctness, but at the cost of the organizations integrity.

I agree that this could be seen as related to the "culture war", but why has the NCAA been "weaponized" in that war, and who's finger is on the trigger? Not everything should be made political. Not everything should be exposed to the culture war, losing it's own essence because it becomes an instrument of cultural leverage. It actually saddens me that people do not understand that difference, that if an institution is taken up into a higher process, it losses its autonomy and essence. It's no longer college sports as an integral part of education. Now it's college sports as battle field for agendas. May nothing be sacred and set aside from exposure to political agendas? It seems to me when we lose the basic distinctions between spheres of human activity, we all lose the culture war, because we lose a key component of "culture".

Suppose we do make it about the culture war; then these issue become for all a matter of conscience. Do fans who disagree have to now boycott the NCAA or else fail to honor their own conscience? Why put everyone in that position?

I'm suspect most people will think I'm over reacting, but honestly I think this is a big deal. It's similar to the issue of amateurism in college sports, as the change would potentially alter the very essence of what the institution is.

It just seems ridiculous to me that the NCAA would do this. On the other hand, I wasn't alive during the civil rights era and I'm not sure if there is any precedence for this or not. I considered the possibility I'm looking at it from a narrow viewpoint, which is why it put it up for discussion.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
here is the ncaa's statement on why they are doing this

Based on the NCAA's commitment to fairness and inclusion, the Association will relocate all seven previously awarded championship events from North Carolina during the 2016-17 academic year. The NCAA Board of Governors made this decision because of the cumulative actions taken by the state concerning civil rights protections.

In its decision Monday, the Board of Governors emphasized that NCAA championships and events must promote an inclusive atmosphere for all college athletes, coaches, administrators and fans. Current North Carolina state laws make it challenging to guarantee that host communities can help deliver on that commitment if NCAA events remained in the state, the board said.

“Fairness is about more than the opportunity to participate in college sports, or even compete for championships,” said Mark Emmert, NCAA president. “We believe in providing a safe and respectful environment at our events and are committed to providing the best experience possible for college athletes, fans and everyone taking part in our championships."

The board stressed that the dynamic in North Carolina is different from that of other states because of at least four specific factors:

North Carolina laws invalidate any local law that treats sexual orientation as a protected class or has a purpose to prevent discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender individuals.
North Carolina has the only statewide law that makes it unlawful to use a restroom different from the gender on one’s birth certificate, regardless of gender identity.
North Carolina law provides legal protections for government officials to refuse services to the LGBT community.
Five states plus numerous cities prohibit travel to North Carolina for public employees and representatives of public institutions, which could include student-athletes and campus athletics staff. These states are New York, Minnesota, Washington, Vermont and Connecticut.
“As representatives of all three divisions, the Board of Governors must advance college sports through policies that resolve core issues affecting student-athletes and administrators,” said G.P. “Bud” Peterson, Board of Governors chair and Georgia Institute of Technology president. “This decision is consistent with the NCAA's long-standing core values of inclusion, student-athlete well-being and creating a culture of fairness.”
“The NCAA Constitution clearly states our values of inclusion and gender equity, along with the membership’s expectation that we as the Board of Governors protect those values for all,” said Susquehanna University President Jay Lemons, vice chair of the Board of Governors and chair of the ad hoc committee on diversity and inclusion. “Our membership comprises many different types of schools – public, private, secular, faith-based – and we believe this action appropriately reflects the collective will of that diverse group.”

Historically, the Association has taken steps to ensure its championship environment is consistent with its values. The NCAA bans championships in states where governments display the Confederate battle flag or authorize sports wagering and at schools that use hostile and abusive Native American imagery.

The only championship events that can be hosted in North Carolina this academic year are those that are decided when student-athletes earn the opportunity to play a championship on their own campus. The Board of Governors said this decision to allow these championships – called nonpredetermined sites – to be played in North Carolina is consistent with the NCAA’s commitment to student-athletes.

Based on an April directive from the Board of Governors, which represents all three divisions, cities interested in hosting future NCAA championships completed a questionnaire this summer that required sites to provide information about any local anti-discrimination laws; provisions for refusal of services; and other facility-specific information.

A group of representatives from NCAA schools will continue to evaluate these responses to determine which locations can host future championships. These decisions, typically announced in early December, will be delayed until next year, Emmert said.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.