Question: 2017 Alabama Football Schedule

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I've always felt very confident about opening games over the past 10 years, but I think that FSU game is the toughest opener we've played since Saban's been here. The rest of the schedule looks pretty good.
That might be preseason number 1 and 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Hey my youngest son went to Mercer. Making it real He is a big Alabama fan and finished before they started their football team. My oldest son attended Alabama so it should be a good family outing when that game comes around.:):)
my wife is a mercer grad. i don't even know if they had basketball when she was there ;)

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
I'm a little disappointed there are no in-state FCS teams on the schedule. For example, if Auburn and LSU can play Jacksonville State, why not us? There are other worthy teams, like Troy, perhaps UAB, and don't forget Mississippi State's arch-nemesis, South Alabama. :wink:

It would keep the $ in-state, help build those programs, and give some local players who didn't make it to Tuscaloosa a chance to play in BDS.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Bama-UAB at Legion Feild would have been nice to see back in the day.

I may be the only one but I'm tired of the same ol WKU, FAU, WCU, CSU, and Arky St. games almost every year. I think it's time we played an in-state school or at least play a lesser power 5 opponent such as a Wake Forest, Virgina, etc.

I say bring back the home-and-home series against Oklahoma, Mich St., or even USC

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I may be the only one but I'm tired of the same ol WKU, FAU, WCU, CSU, and Arky St. games almost every year. I think it's time we played an in-state school or at least play a lesser power 5 opponent such as a Wake Forest, Virgina, etc.

I say bring back the home-and-home series against Oklahoma, Mich St., or even USC

I don't think you will see that for a while. These preseason "bowl" games just bring in way too much money. I read somewhere that Wisconsin got a $4 million payday last year from the Cowboys Classic - I'm sure ours was close to the same.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/details-emerge-floridas-2017-cowboys-classic-game/

Looks like the payouts are now $6 million

Last edited:

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
I love the neutral site games.Dallas,Atlanta, and Orlando are great recruiting areas and I'd like to see us rotate between those 3 keeping the big name opponents.Id also like to see a middle of the road power 5 game on the schedule.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm a little disappointed there are no in-state FCS teams on the schedule. For example, if Auburn and LSU can play Jacksonville State, why not us? There are other worthy teams, like Troy, perhaps UAB, and don't forget Mississippi State's arch-nemesis, South Alabama. :wink:

It would keep the $ in-state, help build those programs, and give some local players who didn't make it to Tuscaloosa a chance to play in BDS.
Yup..I'd just assume keeping the money instate by playing USA, JSU, & UAB at least once to shut that bunch up after stomping a mudhole in 'em once & for all..

It would be a great experience for those kids because even though they go to another instate school..A vast majority of them are lifelong Bama Fans & it would be neat seeing our local kids where many of us went to high school playing at Bryant Denny..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

If we play a home and home with USC, there would be an extreme loss of money when we have to go there. So neutral site is best for that particular matchup. Oklahoma is ok since there is a great following between both and traveling to the Midwest to southeast isn't that bad. Msu idk. Probably the best home and home scenario is either Texas or tosu for us.

But no we shouldn't play instate schools. Espicially not UAB. USA is probably the only one I say maybe, but USA tends to make home and home deals. While we would lose tons of money doing that, it would offer a historical return to Ladd pebbles and give Bama fans in the southern part of the state a chance to see Bama without embarking on the long trip to T town. Other than that reason I see no reason to play other Alabama colleges outside of auburn.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't want Bama to play any in state school, ever. We made the barn by playing them. I'm against helping any team become relevant.
I don't disagree with this, but I don't think there will be any "making" of another in state program. UAB is never ever going to come within a million miles of the kind of program Auburn is today. Neither is Troy, Jax State, or South Alabama. There was only so much space available for a big time program, and Auburn filled that.

Still, I have no desire whatsoever to see Alabama lend a helping hand to any of these programs. Jax State would not be so bad because they are still FCS level and although there have been rumblings in the past of them moving up, I don't think it's happening any time soon.

Frankly, I happen to like seeing teams like Fresno State and Colorado State litter the schedule. These are decent programs with the ability to give us a fight. No, they should not beat us at our current level. But we've got plenty of those style games on the schedule with the annual neutral site opener and our SEC opponents.

Finally, if there was one thing I would like to see, it would be home and home games against major powers instead of neutral site games. I would love to see Alabama play in the Horseshoe or the Big House, as well as those teams in Bryant-Denny. I've never seen Alabama play in Notre Dame Stadium, and Notre Dame has never visited Tuscaloosa. But I understand the financial realities of the neutral site games.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't want Bama to play any in state school, ever. We made the barn by playing them. I'm against helping any team become relevant.
We are in the same conference, not playing them was idiotic then and impossible today.

I really don't care if we play in-state schools or not. I'd want to avoid UAB because that would help them, but stomping a mudhole in them would be fun.

My wife went to Jax State so playing them would cause turmoil in the 1967 household.

Playing USA would be an issue for Krazy....who would he cheer for? :conf2:

I understand the neutral site games make money, though I don't know how big of a recruiting tool they are playing in Dallas, Atlanta, etc. I'd rather see the home/home with other big time programs just because I enjoy the mystique of going into someone else's place.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We are in the same conference, not playing them was idiotic then and impossible today.

I really don't care if we play in-state schools or not. I'd want to avoid UAB because that would help them, but stomping a mudhole in them would be fun.

My wife went to Jax State so playing them would cause turmoil in the 1967 household.

I understand the neutral site games make money, though I don't know how big of a recruiting tool they are playing in Dallas, Atlanta, etc. I'd rather see the home/home with other big time programs just because I enjoy the mystique of going into someone else's place.
But again what do we gain from a home and home. The only teams we would profit from are Texas, OU, ND,Michigan, and tOSU. That's because they are affordable trips amongst loyal fan bases. Playing teams like USC, Oregon, Stanford, and teams of great distance would be a one sided affair in which scalpers would blow sky high when the game is at BDS. But the teams I mentioned that would be profitable will never commit to a home and home with Bama mostly because of having a two year commitment plan with us, and another is to keep championship aspirations alive.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

They are major recruiting tools. Notice Saban doesn't do them in any spot. He continues to do them in recruiting hotbeds.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I don't think you will see that for a while. These preseason "bowl" games just bring in way too much money. I read somewhere that Wisconsin got a $4 million payday last year from the Cowboys Classic - I'm sure ours was close to the same.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/details-emerge-floridas-2017-cowboys-classic-game/

Looks like the payouts are now $6 million

Bama has received $6.5M each for the last two. Up from the $2M received from Jacksonville in 2007 for the F$U game.

Last edited:
What makes you think they'll become relevant?

API became relevant because of Bama. Others will too. IMO, if we had never played them, they would be in the sunbelt right now.
Eh, perhaps, but you are talking about a different time and era. SEC was in its infancy too so, though I hear what you are saying I wouldn't bet on another team benefitting from playing Bama.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Eh, perhaps, but you are talking about a different time and era. SEC was in its infancy too so, though I hear what you are saying I wouldn't bet on another team benefitting from playing Bama.

I certainly respect your opinion. I just think if we played any team on a regular basis, they would become relevant. But, like they say, you can take my opinion and five bucks and buy a Starbucks. I guess they are five bucks, but I never go to Starbucks.:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.