News Article: WSJ: College Football Games Are Far Too Long

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
They just need to change the clock rules so the clock runs on first down and be done with it. We will eventually go there anyway with all the concussion stuff going on. Running the clock on first down will result in shorter games which means less plays and less chances for injuries.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If I'm into a game, they never feel too long to me. In fact, I always find the Bama games especially feel short. Perhaps its' because you wait all week to watch and then - "boom" it's over.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Big 12 games with their repertoire of fake the dive play and then chuck it again and again and again are unwatchable. Does anyone think that the proliferation 3.5+ hour games explains why we see the splotches of open seats in the 4th quarter at B-D?
Nope, that's the "I don't wanna be stuck in traffic" people.....

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I thought I might reach retirement age before halftime ended in last week's Ark vs TCU game.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
If I'm into a game, they never feel too long to me. In fact, I always find the Bama games especially feel short. Perhaps its' because you wait all week to watch and then - "boom" it's over.
This is where I am at. Obviously we are more likely to be engrossed during Bama games.

This is something I've only noticed since I got Sling TV. On Sling, for those who don't use it, a lot of the channels do not have the same ad-time deals for various complicated broadcasting reasons. So instead of playing ads- ESPN and SEC Network will literally just put a logo on the screen and play a music track looped underneath. And instead of having 30-60 second ads, which make the overall break length seem faster, I'm left with this seemingly interminable gap with a music loop I hear in my sleep. So I dread the sheer amount of breaks even more than regular commercials.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Now that's funny. The WSJ, being the bastion for business news, is complaining about the length of football games, where the football games length are being driven up by advertising time. Oh, the irony is thick there. Why don't we just cut out the game and show commercials for 3 hours instead, where the team with the best looking jerseys and helmets gets a sponsored trophy at the end?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There is an interesting aspect in terms of the clock changes increasing the length of games. It's pretty easy to get though, you have more plays, and more clock stoppages, (players going out of bounds, incompletions, etc..) and the game ends up going on longer. If they just changed the clock rules back (ironically intended to shorten the number of plays but it lead to more) games should get shorter.

A lot of people just don't to discuss the fact that the HUNH as we know it today simply wasn't possible prior to relatively recent clock changes that did not at all do what they were supposed to do...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
"Analyst" Phineas Finebaum's "like waiting for a root canal" comment is testimony to his still having the gumption and grasp of the game that G*d gave a flea beetle.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is where I am at. Obviously we are more likely to be engrossed during Bama games.

This is something I've only noticed since I got Sling TV. On Sling, for those who don't use it, a lot of the channels do not have the same ad-time deals for various complicated broadcasting reasons. So instead of playing ads- ESPN and SEC Network will literally just put a logo on the screen and play a music track looped underneath. And instead of having 30-60 second ads, which make the overall break length seem faster, I'm left with this seemingly interminable gap with a music loop I hear in my sleep. So I dread the sheer amount of breaks even more than regular commercials.
i get that sometimes when streaming espn. now that you brought it up, the song is repeating in my head. thanks

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To get to the article without a subscription, you have to pull up Facebook, do a search for "Wall Street Journal," and then scroll down to the article...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Now that's funny. The WSJ, being the bastion for business news, is complaining about the length of football games, where the football games length are being driven up by advertising time. Oh, the irony is thick there. Why don't we just cut out the game and show commercials for 3 hours instead, where the team with the best looking jerseys and helmets gets a sponsored trophy at the end?
Lol. And the ones paid to watch the games are the ones complaining. Make them stay at home and listen to Beth Mowins as punishment.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
One only has to watch a CBS game to know this is true. Seems to me ESPN is starting to get in on this act.
Although ESPN rarely ever takes a commercial after a 3 & out. CBS rarely ever doesn't. I haven't actually timed them but I feel like the overall length of the CBS commercial breaks is longer too. I would love to know why the 2 contracts say but I bet the CBS contract gives them 15-30 more minutes of commercials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As several have noted, the issue is primarily commercials. Sometimes reviews and ref conferences add to it. But it pretty clear: game time is 60 min, broadcast time is 240 min. The gap is not all commercial breaks, but it mostly is. CBS and FOX broadcasts are almost unwatchable.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
As several have noted, the issue is primarily commercials. Sometimes reviews and ref conferences add to it. But it pretty clear: game time is 60 min, broadcast time is 240 min. The gap is not all commercial breaks, but it mostly is. CBS and FOX broadcasts are almost unwatchable.
I usually record the games and re-watch them. I'll try to time the commercials and halftime on the Ole Miss game and reply back to this thread. The halftime shows have to be part of the problem. The games never start back when the clocks hit 00:00 at halftime.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
commercials are the biggest problem. On CBS they are really bad. Most of the time they run 2 or 3 in a row before they go back to the game. I know they need the commercials to pay for the games but they need to give us a break on so many of them. Espn is getting worse. And espn is getting money because it gets money from the cable subscribtions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.