Link: Vandy wants a new stadium to not sell-out

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Re: vandy wants a new stadium to not sell-out

Stanford demolished their old stadium and built a newer and smaller one on top of it. They still don't sell it out, but it's a pretty novel idea. I think Vanderbilt needs to do the same thing.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It was built in 1922, but nothing about it seems particularly "historical" and thus worth preserving. I know they don't have great fan support, but they've got a lot more than UAB. That's got to count for something right?

Vandy ought to be able to be like Stanford, Northwestern, or even Georgia Tech. They ought to be able to at least be competitive and go to a bowl game every year or so.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
was just by there this past Spring and took in a Vandy baseball game. They use the football stadium facilities (restroom/concessions) for baseball. The 2 stadiums are pretty much adjoined.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Stanford demolished their old stadium and built a newer and smaller one on top of it. They still don't sell it out, but it's a pretty novel idea. I think Vanderbilt needs to do the same thing.
There should be a minimum stadium seating in the SEC. I would think there is much more fluctuation in attendance than Bama's games. There needs to be a balance of empty seats vs making sure you can accommodate say the Tennessee game.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville

Dudley is getting fairly run down. Like the idea of sharing the field with a MLS team.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Like with the multipurpose facility, Williams said any pitch to the Board of Trust to build a new stadium would be helped if there were other uses for the facility.

For example, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest house offices in their football stadiums. Florida State’s Doak Campbell Stadium has a restaurant and the university’s school of hospitality academic program.

It seems to me companies and organizations who hold seminars and such at Hotels and Resorts would flock to Bryant-Denny. I can't figure out why UA doesn't have a banquet/seminar room(s). Goldmine! Imagine if the AD and an assistant would put in an appearance or sign autographs.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I remember when we used play Vandy every year, they and Tennessee before we switched to one rival from the east. Seems like it was the 2nd game of the season and they usually played us hard. They have a heck of a school. If I was a smart hard working tweaner 2 or 3 star, I would jump all over going to Vanderbilt. Franklin was building on that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How they choose to spend their money doesn't matter to me at all.

But I do find it hilarious - they sell out maybe one game per year, if that. If they actually took football seriously I'd be more likely to understand it, but I live in TN and I don't think I've ever actually met a serious Vandy fan (even among the graduates I know)...

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Why build a new stadium just to have the same amount of seats? Seems like a huge waste as others have said...If you're going to build something new for the sake of building something, might as well increase capacity for when away teams that travel well come to town (Bama), so they can sell more seats to them.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean, they could at least add a few seats for the benefit of the rest of the SEC fans if not their own.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

A new stadium probably would cost between $60 million and $90 million, or perhaps more depending on amenities and several other factors, Williams said. He wants a new stadium to be better but not necessarily bigger.

lolololol that's just replacing one small dump with a newer smaller dump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

A new stadium probably would cost between $60 million and $90 million, or perhaps more depending on amenities and several other factors, Williams said. He wants a new stadium to be better but not necessarily bigger.

lolololol that's just replacing one small dump with a newer smaller dump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah; but it will have seat warmers and latte machines!!! :D

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
I'm a Vanderbilt alum. I root for them in the physics bowl. Anchor down!

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think building a really nice "intimate" stadium wouldn't be the worst idea for Vandy. They're never gonna pack in 50k but they could make it a really nice venue for a game. No bleacher seating, all individual seats with actual backs and arm rests.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.