Legal Case of the Navy Breaking the Japanese Code at Midway

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A journalist for the Chicago Tribune reported that "Navy Had Word of Jap Plan to Strike at Sea."

The Navy went after the Tribune, but the grand jury declined to return a true bill.
Still, the testimony before the grand jury has stayed classified since and one historian is trying to get that unsealed.

For the record, despite the Tribune's disclosure, the Japanese Navy never figured out that the US had broken the code. They kept using the broken code until 1945.

Funny to see a WW II court case still going on today.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
WWII is the most interesting story of the 20th century. I honestly never get tired of hearing stories about it. I hope the information is disclosed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
WWII is the most interesting story of the 20th century. I honestly never get tired of hearing stories about it. I hope the information is disclosed.
In the article, the journalist in walked past the radio room on a ship that wasn't even involved in Midway. He saw a decrypted message saying that the Navy knew exactly what was coming. As soon as the journalist got to San Diego, he filed his report. It is an interesting question. If you let journalists hang around military units, can you get angry when they find stuff out and disclose it?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
In the article, the journalist in walked past the radio room on a ship that wasn't even involved in Midway. He saw a decrypted message saying that the Navy knew exactly what was coming. As soon as the journalist got to San Diego, he filed his report. It is an interesting question. If you let journalists hang around military units, can you get angry when they find stuff out and disclose it?
No, you can't. The segregation of sensitive activities from the public - including the press - is in accordance with common sense, common law, and common decency.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Actually, quite a few journalists were allowed to hang around, far more than today. There were very few leaks. I wouldn't bet on that today...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If we're at war and they publish information damaging to the effort, then yes, I say you can get angry. Treasonous behavior, imo.
Two other aspects. FDR hated the editor of the Tribune. That had something to do with the Feds going after that newspaper.
The Navy had left classified documents unsecured in the radio room on a US Navy ship, so the disclosure was in large measure due to the Navy's negligence.

I'm a bit curious why the testimony before the grand jury cannot be released to the public 74 years after the fact, however.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
If we're at war and they publish information damaging to the effort, then yes, I say you can get angry. Treasonous behavior, imo.
Shaky ground when you start accusing journalists of treason. If anything was treasonous, it was the Navy's decision to give non-military personnel unfettered access to a military installation. If you don't want such information to be disclosed, you don't give people access to it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Shaky ground when you start accusing journalists of treason. If anything was treasonous, it was the Navy's decision to give non-military personnel unfettered access to a military installation. If you don't want such information to be disclosed, you don't give people access to it.
True. Think about the reporting in Vietnam. Are all those guys guilty of treason or of exposing some unsavory things damaging to the war effort (nevermind the absence of a declaration)? Slippery slope argument, but where do you draw the line when you are derelict in protecting information like that? You can't yell fire in a crowded theater when there isn't one. You can't actively spy for the enemy. This was different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.