Damien Harris is special

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Damien should have had 30 carries today. It was ridiculous that he did not touch it more. We were too busy running screens and short passes for no gains to our WR's. I am glad we won but it was frustrating to not see Damien carry the ball more.
Honestly, I think Lane did these outside things to wear down OM's d-line. It worked. They have a very good d-line. I think we just didn't execute a lot of the time. We really need to get that tightened up -- which we will. Outside the receivers, this is a young offense. It's not like Lane has forgotten how to OC.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
I actually think Josh Jacobs is the best back we have. He hasn't had the opportunity that Harris has, but I think he's just as shifty and faster. Look forward to seeing what this group does.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Guys, don't worry so much about Harris getting caught from behind. He was caught from behind in the USC game by one of the best football-playing college athletes in the country. No shame in that.

Last night on his longest run I don't think he was ever really in the open field... the safeties seemed to have good angles to catch him. I'm not sure that run counts as being caught from behind.

I think he is/will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Guys, don't worry so much about Harris getting caught from behind. He was caught from behind in the USC game by one of the best football-playing college athletes in the country. No shame in that.

Last night on his longest run I don't think he was ever really in the open field... the safeties seemed to have good angles to catch him. I'm not sure that run counts as being caught from behind.

You're probably right. Besides, of all the problems to have, being caught from behind on long runs is one I'd love to have the opportunity to "complain" about more often.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Man, that 60+ run by Harris was a thing of beauty. Just like how he's growing and putting everything together. I'm loving the growth of the running game. I think I said in another post this group reminds me of the '08 team. You have guys that are capably of being the feature back but no one "clearly" stands out from the other. They hare all talented in their own way. I think the 4 RB strategy worked well for the '08 team too and should bode well for us this season as well ... especially with the addition of a "5th man" in the running back tandem with Jalen. I'm just crazy excited about the potential of this team. I just hope the leaders keep the team on focused hard and getting better.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Harris, Jacobs, Emmons, Scarborough…how would your depth chart look after 4 games?

9 just doesn't look comfortable yet (much like 34 last year)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

and when they did catch him, he kept breaking tackles for 20 yards

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Harris, Jacobs, Emmons, Scarborough…how would your depth chart look after 4 games?

9 just doesn't look comfortable yet (much like 34 last year)
Probably about how you listed them. Bo is in trouble and everybody knows I was one of his biggest fans, but that fumble yesterday was almost a disaster.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Agreed on both the USC and today's scenario. Reportedly he is one of the fastest guys on the team and he won't be caught from behind often.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
my comment of him getting caught from behind was in blue and a joke. i had no idea it would take on a life of its own.
Cool, but I do not see any blue font in your post so I wasn't aware that it was a comment made as a joke. My initial reply about this was also based on the fact that two other posters besides you have mentioned him getting caught from behind.

he needs to quit getting caught from behind.
I'm looking at this on my phone, and there's no blue font when I look at it. If it's there when viewed on a PC then my bad

EDIT: I'm on my PC now and I do see the blue font. Honest, it shows up black on my phone. Also, two others did mention him getting caught from behind, so it wasn't just you ;-)

Last edited:

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
He can carry the rock, just a little more seasoning ! Bo will get it going , I think he needs just a little picking up ! Remember SHOCKA was not SHOCKA at one time.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't know how talented he really is but I was at the game and he ran that long (almost) touchdown right at me. He got caught way short of the endzone and I don't think I've seen that sort of determination on a run in a while. It was as if he had to get to the goal line or die trying. It was something to see. He earned my respect and for getting the touch yards at the end when everyone knew what we were going to run.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Cool, but I do not see any blue font in your post so I wasn't aware that it was a comment made as a joke. My initial reply about this was also based on the fact that two other posters besides you have mentioned him getting caught from behind.

I'm looking at this on my phone, and there's no blue font when I look at it. If it's there when viewed on a PC then my bad

EDIT: I'm on my PC now and I do see the blue font. Honest, it shows up black on my phone. Also, two others did mention him getting caught from behind, so it wasn't just you ;-)

no problem.

got to give Harris some bonus points for holding onto the ball with the ole miss player draped on his back and yanking, pulling tugging, doing everything he could to pull the ball loose and the ball didn't budge.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
How do you call someone a bust after a freshman year? He really didn't have many expectations being behind Henry & Drake!
5 Star, Top-ranked running back in the nation by Rivals.com, Prepstar and the 247Composite. Consensus top 10 player.
46 times for 157 yards around 3.4 ypc.

4 star Henry
36 times for 382, 10.6 ypc as a TF.

Both cases were mainly later in games.

"might be a bust" was harsh, but I was underwhelmed, sorry. Damien is the most improved back year one to 2 that I have seen under coach Saban.
So my comments are credential based, not just any runningback, but a top 10 player consensus #1. He is playing like it now.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.