JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Ole Miss recap: Nothing normal about Bama’s big win in Oxford
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 17th, 2016 08:43 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 17, 2016 On a day when the list of people needing medical treatment for cramps probably included SEC replay official John Bible, Alabama snatched victory from the jaws of defeat before nearly handing it back. For whatever reason, Ole Miss can struggle against teams much lesser than Alabama, but […]

Read More Here

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
Kelly played about as well as I have seen him. Their O line protected better than I thought they would although we were all around. Odd how qb's often play the game of their life against us

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I had thought the gap between our receivers and theirs would be bigger. Clearly you were right in calling it close. Kelly was quite effective and they made some really good plays for him too.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
in a lot of ways, this reminded me of our game vs clemson last year.
It reminded me more of the 2013 aTm game when the secondary gave up way too many big completions. They just don't turn around when the ball is in the air.
The offensive playcalling also had me baffled. If you can beat Ole Miss into the ground running the ball, then RUN the ball. It is not really all that complicated.
It is nice to have a QB still in "development mode" but still putting 40+ points on the scoreboard.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No matter how you slice it, a road win against a team with your number in the SEC is sweet. Time to get healthy and work on fundamentals for a few weeks before the game with the Piggies.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Great read Jess.

In the past we have lost these sloppy games against Ole Miss. I will take the win and I am definitely grateful for the next two opponents.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
What stuck out to me is the youth in key places we have this year, especially on the offensive side of the ball; QB (fresh), RB's (soph and fresh), RT (fresh), WR's (mixture, but main key player is soph).

The fact is we're a work in progress. I will say having all those upper-classmen on defense is a plus, but this year, more than any other year under Saban imo, we've had to reload with some very young talent. The kids will learn and will need all the help they can get to do things the right way every play.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I think it's time for us to admit Kelly is just that good. I'm glad we're done with him.
Something we may have forgotten, too: Alabama was very much in the mix to sign Kelly on a couple of occasions but he ran into off-field trouble both times and UA backed off. Bama coaches knew full well how good he was.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Something we may have forgotten, too: Alabama was very much in the mix to sign Kelly on a couple of occasions but he ran into off-field trouble both times and UA backed off. Bama coaches knew full well how good he was.
He's definitely one of those emotional, almost unstable guys who plays with a chip on his shoulder type 'tude. I wonder if us backing off him more than once #$%^&* him off enough that he's carried a grudge. Maybe that's one extra reason h seems to have his best game against us?

He's also such a wildcard, it's hard to imagine him as a game manager, hard to imagine him not butting heads with CNS big time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.