Anyone else think Jalen Hurts is similar to Clemson's Deshawn Watson?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Anyone else think Jalen Hurts is similar to Clemson's Deshaun Watson?

I can see why this kid played the role of Deshaun Watson while we prepped for Clemson last season. There's so many similarities. They are both about the same height and weight, both can run and they both have a great arm. I can see Jalen contending for the Heisman in future years also.

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I can see why this kid played the role of Deshaun Watson while we prepped for Clemson last season. There's so many similarities. They are both about the same height and weight, both can run and they both have a great arm. I can see Jalen contending for the Heisman in future years also.
Yes, but I believe Jalen will never have to carry a Bama team as much as Watson, no matter how good. He will not have to say like Watson "We are not playing well because I am not playing well" Constancy lies in a machine offense where different players are MVP for the week. That was my only concern about a dual threat, putting too much on one player.

Is Jalen really as tall as Watson? I think a good dual threat in the NFL should be at least 6'1.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Hurt is stronger than Watson. He takes the strong running of Tebow and combines it with the speed of Watson. His passing is improving and the talent seems to be there, but we'll have to wait to see if he can get more on track there. Dropped balls have not helped there.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Hurt is stronger than Watson. He takes the strong running of Tebow and combines it with the speed of Watson. His passing is improving and the talent seems to be there, but we'll have to wait to see if he can get more on track there. Dropped balls have not helped there.
.I think he is vicious with some space but still easy to arm tackle. But Jalen was playing HS football this time last year. He is going to get a lot stronger.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
.I think he is vicious with some space but still easy to arm tackle. But Jalen was playing HS football this time last year. He is going to get a lot stronger.
I see more hesitation at times being the problem than strength. He also went down once at the five or so when he might have been able to run through. That's the way it looked on first glance anyway. But he is good and could be great before all is said and done.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Jalen is slower doesn't have as quick of feet to make defenders miss as of now. And a slower release. If you generalize it sure they are alike but to me no when I look at it they are not.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Funny you mention Tebow. I thought a couple of Jalen's runs were very Tebow-esque.

Sabananizer, not sure if you were wondering if Jalen is tall or not ... I was reading some article that mentions Jalen is actually 6' 2" and that he did some power-lifting in school as well. Dude has very good lower body strength -- much more than it would appear on tv which explains why he may not look like he's hauling it when he really is. Maybe an exaggeration, but similar to Lacy in a way. Jalen is a young guy and is going to make mistakes but he is definitely a freakish player.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Re: Anyone else think Jalen Hurts is similar to Clemson's Deshaun Watson?

He's very similar but I think Jalen is a better runner than Watson and honestly, Watson is a slightly better passer.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No, but he could be. He reminds me of Russell Wilson in the fact he can flip the switch from game manager to game breaker fast and is a cool customer under pressure. While that fumble was horrible at the time, it really showed me a lot about his composure under adversity. Kinda like Ben roethlisberger in that a bad play can happen, but doesn't let a sinkhole happen because of it. Deshaun seems more like he IS the offense. But I can get the comparison, but I think we are more talented overall in total offense. Just imo

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Absolutely not, there is no comparison between the two.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

Not that Hurts is *slow*, but I assumed he would be a little faster. Good runner, by all means, but not *fast*

Love his passes. Beautiful tight spiral. Once the accuracy improves, deadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003

Not that Hurts is *slow*, but I assumed he would be a little faster. Good runner, by all means, but not *fast*

Love his passes. Beautiful tight spiral. Once the accuracy improves, deadly

I think he's faster than he looks. See Shaun ALexander.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

Like i say, as compared to ME, he's a burner. As compared to the people chasing him, not so much. And not that it's a bad thing. He's still fast enough, and definitely shifty enough, to be a dual threat

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Other than poise, i dont see any.
i agree ... their poise is the only comparison. Still two different types of QBs in general. Watson is more athletic and can make all of the throws in his point of his career. Hurts reminds me of a faster Steve McNair. In any rate, if Hurts stay focused and keep dedicating himself to growth on and off the field, he could be better than both of those comparisons.

i'm just happy he plays for us and looking forward to seeing him continue to mature as a player and a person. Exciting times to be a BAMA fan.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I think he's faster than he looks. See Shaun ALexander.
Yeah he doesn't "look" fast because he's so calm and just glides.

That's one thing that amazes me and sometimes frustrates me about him is he is so calm, almost too clam sometimes. Once he starts to get a little more sense of urgency he'll throw the ball sooner and will be unstoppable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.