Officiating across college football

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I was going to make a separate thread, but I'll put it here. What is this BS about Birmingham "concurring?" Are the reviews really taking place there? Do they have a control room with all the SEC-officiated games playing? I, for one, don't like it. It slows things enough already without the booth officials having to look over their shoulders to see if Shaw agrees. Is the next step for the Commissioner to be the final arbiter?
Right on the money, as usual.
If the crew in Birmingham could not come to the correct decision on a blitzing DB planting the crown of his helmet on Jalen Hurts' facemask, then why do they exist at all?
As somebody else said, in the NFL, that would result in the player paying a stiff fine.
I'm just shocked that I heard no one mention the pretty obvious helmet to helmet contact. Danielson went on and on about the dumb cheap hit 30 yards upfield from #38 as he apparently scored, but dang, that helmet-to-helmet cheap shot was really dangerous.
Maybe that hit on Jalen occurred on a distant point of the field when no official were looking. (He was just a QB carrying the ball, I mean what official is supposed to be looking at him?)

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American
If the play is whistled dead after a fumble, any recovery must be a "continuation of the play" or something like that. If the first Texas player had dropped on the ball, they would have gotten it. Since several Horns ran past, they didn't.
You are right about what they called it, I'm still puzzled but what made it dead. A live ball that rolled across goal line and then whistled dead ?
Should have been a safety minimum.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
True. The B'ham position that Hurts was hit in the chest rather than the helmet was laughable...
I did not see this live, but I'm watching the replay.
If the NCAA and the SEC are not interested in stopping this kind of hit (for player safety), then exactly what kind of hit are they interested in stopping?
And as jthomas666 said, if in doubt, it is targeting. The immediate reaction from the SEC was "there was not irrefutable evidence" that he led with the crown of the helmet against a defenseless player's helmet.
The rule is pretty clear, when in doubt, call the penalty.
My gosh, though, the way Jalen's head snapped backwards before his upper torso started to move proves beyond anybody's doubt that the Ole Miss player was launching himself, and using the crown of his helmet as a weapon.
If the SEC cannot penalize this type of hit, what is the point of having review officials and the Birmingham reviewers?
I do not think the official were out to screw Alabama, but I do believe that the Birmingham folks were searching frantically for an excuse to back up the obvious missed call by the officials on the field.
I would love to be a fly on the wall for the review of film and the grading of this officiating crew this week.

Last edited:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Right on the money, as usual.
If the crew in Birmingham could not come to the correct decision on a blitzing DB planting the crown of his helmet on Jalen Hurts' facemask, then why do they exist at all?
As somebody else said, in the NFL, that would result in the player paying a stiff fine.
I'm just shocked that I heard no one mention the pretty obvious helmet to helmet contact. Danielson went on and on about the dumb cheap hit 30 yards upfield from #38 as he apparently scored, but dang, that helmet-to-helmet cheap shot was really dangerous.
Maybe that hit on Jalen occurred on a distant point of the field when no official were looking. (He was just a QB carrying the ball, I mean what official is supposed to be looking at him?)
If I remember the new "control room" rules correctly, one thing they can do is call a targeting foul, even if it is missed on the field by the officiating crew. How do you miss that hit on Jalen. The only good thing there is I sensed that hit put a little more fire into BAMA. Krymsonman

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I wonder if any of the sports writers will comment on the officiating of the game Saturday, or are the too afraid of the power of the SEC.....

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I did not see this live, but I'm watching the replay.
If the NCAA and the SEC are not interested in stopping this kind of hit (for player safety), then exactly what kind of hit are they interested in stopping?
And as jthomas666 said, if in doubt, it is targeting. The immediate reaction from the SEC was "there was not irrefutable evidence" that he led with the crown of the helmet against a defenseless player's helmet.
The rule is pretty clear, when in doubt, call the penalty.
My gosh, though, the way Jalen's head snapped backwards before his upper torso started to move proves beyond anybody's doubt that the Ole Miss player was launching himself, and using the crown of his helmet as a weapon.
If the SEC cannot penalize this type of hit, what is the point of having review officials and the Birmingham reviewers?
I do not think the official were out to screw Alabama, but I do believe that the Birmingham folks were searching frantically for an excuse to back up the obvious missed call by the officials on the field.
I would love to be a fly on the wall for the review of film and the grading of this officiating crew this week.
Even Gary and Verne were calling that targeting. Not at first, because the play happened pretty quick, but when they looked at it again Gary said, wait isn't that targeting. He then described the lowering the crown of the helmet, the launch, and where the crown of the helmet hit Jalen. Right on the chin. Gary thought it fit all of the criteria for targeting. Jalen is one tough dude to pop right up after that hit. Krymsonman

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Best evidence yet it wasn't targeting.

As for the Cal play, what is the deal with players dropping the ball before entering the end zone? If I'm a coach, I tell them that if they drop it anywhere near the goal line, they'll be running wind sprints for a week.
Marlon Humphrey did it against USC.
It's like players feel you get extra points for dropping the ball as close as possible to the goal line.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Terrible crew in Oxford. Those guys aren't ready for prime time.
They seemed to miss every play, or have it overturned by guys in the booth.

Those Refs aren't suitable to call a Pee Wee Football Game.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I agreed with the call on the field and the SEC office on the sack. I thought it was a textbook sack and the kind of hit I do not want to see banned in any event. The personal foul was a screw up.
I never said I agreed with the rule - but it is what it is. If the first piece of equipment that contacts the player is the helmet above the shoulder whether intentional or not - it is targeting and, unlike other rules, the benefit of the doubt goes with the foul not the player. By rule, that hit should have been called targeting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
One more thing--on the fumble return, since they called unnecessary roughness and not a block in the back, does that make it a live ball foul assessed as a dead ball? Kinda like when Gary flipped out about Cody taking off his helmet after blocking the field goal? That's the only thing I could figure.
I'm not sure, but I think just about every time I've seen unnecessary roughness called, it's been because of a late hit. This was obviously not a late hit. Even Gary, while the play was live, was calling the penalty a bonehead play by Ole Miss that was going to get the TD called back. How were the officials the only ones that couldn't determine where the ball was.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I never said I agreed with the rule - but it is what it is. If the first piece of equipment that contacts the player is the helmet above the shoulder whether intentional or not - it is targeting and, unlike other rules, the benefit of the doubt goes with the foul not the player. By rule, that hit should have been called targeting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well we all know the SEC office will do the right thing .... review the hit on film this week and assess the suspension posthumously ...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You are right about what they called it, I'm still puzzled but what made it dead. A live ball that rolled across goal line and then whistled dead ?
Should have been a safety minimum.
Safety!? That could have occurred only at the other end of the field. You mean touchback, but that could have occurred only if the ball had rolled through the end zone.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Safety!? That could have occurred only at the other end of the field. You mean touchback, but that could have occurred only if the ball had rolled through the end zone.
Youre right, I'm goofy this morning, stayed up til 2:15 watching the stupid thing. Still think something other than arbitrarily awarding the ball at 1 yard line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Youre right, I'm goofy this morning, stayed up til 2:15 watching the stupid thing. Still think something other than arbitrarily awarding the ball at 1 yard line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm surprised that they even have a provision that would award the ball to the opposing team after the play has been blown dead. Unless they didn't blow the play dead and waited a reasonable length of time to enable Texas to recover the ball.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
At Miss St one year Shaud Williams fumbled the ball forward on 4th and short. Our lineman recovered for a 1st down. But, they gave the ball to Ole Miss because you can't fumble the ball forward on 4th down.

Kelly ran to the two yard line and fumbled the ball forward but they did not bring it back. Why? Has the rule changed or did he already have the 1st down before fumbling?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Just off the top of my head in our game yesterday I can remember these missed calls:

The helmet to helmet on the Hurts fumble

#17 (Ingram) with an obvious hold on one of their TD passes

The horrible missed call on he push off in the endzone by the OM WR that cost us another TD

And that's just going off the top of my head. I'm sure I could watch and find more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.