Officiating across college football

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We might as well get use to Jalen taking some marginal to bad targeting because defenders always try to knock dual-threats out and the officiating seems to miss it more often with fast QBs for whatever reason.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
We might as well get use to Jalen taking some marginal to bad targeting because defenders always try to knock dual-threats out and the officiating seems to miss it more often with fast QBs for whatever reason.
He was a drop-back passer on that play.

As far as CYA, I don't know how. Having another layer of review was supposed to prevent that type of miss - not reinforce it for all the world to see. It simply raises more questions in my mind. It paints the SEC office in a not so flattering light however you interpret it.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Unless and/or until they change the new rule, I don't believe we'll be seeing many, if any, flags on the field for targeting. They will pass the buck to the replay booth, and in most cases the replay booth will pass it on to B'ham.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To me it's turning like college basketball, where the NBA teams have complained for years they have to draft players who have such poor fundamentals and it has totally wrecked the quality of play at the professional level. You are now hearing the same sort of complaints from the NFL now. It's been tried and established that the NFL is not a viable league running spread and read option QBs. The QBs coming into the league don't even understand basics of playing the position. If it keeps going I think you might see the NFL start publicly calling out college football to fix itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Then the NFL can finance college football instead of complaining about what is a completely free and unlimited farm system to which they contribute nothing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That hit on Hurts reminded me of the yelling and screaming CBS did during halftime of the 2012 SECCG in regards to Quinton Dial's demonstrably LEGAL hit. The only one raising much of a ruckus was Danielson. Everyone else it was 'ho hum.'

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Destroying the rhythm of the games and increasing their length is the most easily identifiable problem and one that bothers me a good deal. But there are other issues, as that article I linked discusses. I'm not saying it's a dumb idea. I'm just pointing out it won't be a panacea and it will come with other downsides.
I'm not claiming it won't have issues, but I am saying they need to do more to "get it right". At one time we didn't have the technology to do it... but now there's no excuse. I'm telling you, I would have gone ballistic if that mistaken call cost us the game Saturday.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That hit on Hurts reminded me of the yelling and screaming CBS did during halftime of the 2012 SECCG in regards to Quinton Dial's demonstrably LEGAL hit. The only one raising much of a ruckus was Danielson. Everyone else it was 'ho hum.'
there were some UGA fans still complaining about it the next day. trust me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Why not?

It it is a classic good old boy network. They have now found a way to keep the older guys on payroll by letting them man command central in Birmingham
Oh, I understand the system and exactly what's happening. It's just that Shaw was highly respected in the profession and on the field before he became a bureaucrat. Hell, he's even the coordinator of officials for the Sun Belt conference as well. I just thought he might actually make some changes for the better, certainly not anything like what happened Saturday...

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I was more concerned after the targeting no call on Jalen Hurts that OM was trying to take our QB out. I was very disappointed with Shaw, he is just a pawn. I say shut down Bham central and keep it in the replay booth. Perhaps OM players were trying to get pay back for the hits on Chad Kelly, he took some pretty good hits but not cheap shots like the one on Hurts. I remember at one point in the game that I was thinking the Refs were trying to change the game where OM had a better chance of winning but they didn't account for Bama not willing to lay down. It seemed to really hurt OM when Bama came back so strong after the Targeting no call on Jalen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.