Officiating across college football

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm surprised people weren't blowing this thread up last night with all the bad officiating in the arky game

sent from my pyromaniac note 7

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Last night miss st lost to byu, and I'd say it was in no small part due to a bad call from SEC officials.

On 4th and short at the goal line, an incomplete pass meant that state would get the ball back with a 7 point lead. Except, there was a roughing the passer call.

The announcers tried to find it, and we're actually confused when they saw the replay. "Was that it?" one of them asked.

I think SEC officials will be the ones everyone wants to avoid in the post season

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Went back through the UT postgame thread and didn't see any mention of it, so I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere.

What were everyone's thoughts on the Keith Holcombe penalty? I thought it was a bad hit when it happened, but I changed my mind when CBS showed the replay from the endzone. Look at Kamara's right foot and then look at Holcombe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Last night miss st lost to byu, and I'd say it was in no small part due to a bad call from SEC officials.

On 4th and short at the goal line, an incomplete pass meant that state would get the ball back with a 7 point lead. Except, there was a roughing the passer call.

The announcers tried to find it, and we're actually confused when they saw the replay. "Was that it?" one of them asked.

I think SEC officials will be the ones everyone wants to avoid in the post season

Funny thing is, if you read the A&M boards, they're delighted to get away from B12 officials and get SEC stripes. They feel the B12 officials favored UT big time and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't correct. BTW, how's the knee coming?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Went back through the UT postgame thread and didn't see any mention of it, so I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere.

What were everyone's thoughts on the Keith Holcombe penalty? I thought it was a bad hit when it happened, but I changed my mind when CBS showed the replay from the endzone. Look at Kamara's right foot and then look at Holcombe.
I thought it was a bad call because Keith had no way of knowing that Kamara was going to step out of bounds when he committed to the tackle. How many times have we seen a slippery back like Kamara try to avoid that tackle and continue up the sidelines? The official took something for granted that will cost a defensive player if they similarly take for granted.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Funny how the aTm and UT boards all think the referees favor Bama. Our opponents are the least penalized out of any other team in FBS. Also, puzzling to read the UT forums and their complaints about the officiating. Bama had 5 penalties and UT had only 1..

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

That's a "judgment call" foul, is it not? It's a hard play for the defense; never know if the RB is going to step out or accept contact in bounds to fight for yards. I think the refs need to take that into account when making the judgment, but can't say I am surprised or upset by how it was called in this game. I didn't check how the rule is written, but since Holcombe went in with his head down, if it is his responsibility to avoid the runner out of bounds, perhaps the ref thought he didn't assume that responsibility.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

It could have gone either way - it was a borderline late hit. However, the hit was so hard that it drove Kamara way into the bench area and looked later than it was. If you are going to get 15 yards, at least him hard and Kamara felt that one.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I thought it was a bad call because Keith had no way of knowing that Kamara was going to step out of bounds when he committed to the tackle. How many times have we seen a slippery back like Kamara try to avoid that tackle and continue up the sidelines? The official took something for granted that will cost a defensive player if they similarly take for granted.
in the '93 Sugar Bowl, a Miami runner faked going out of bounds and went right on down the field when the Bama defender pulled up. Best thing to do is let them go on by and then chase them down and take the ball away from them. :biggrin:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I recall a similar play a little later on, but the roles were reversed and unsurprisingly no flag was thrown. Consistency isn't too much to ask for is it?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I mentioned the Holcombe play on fb. It's not a "hit out of bounds", if the runner hasn't stepped out of bounds! Someone mentioned earlier that the official made an assumption. Don't call what you don't see!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I recall a similar play a little later on, but the roles were reversed and unsurprisingly no flag was thrown. Consistency isn't too much to ask for is it?
After seeing this view yesterday I was really surprised it was even called. The hit sent Kamara so far off the field the official had to have thought he hit him very late.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Live it looked like he actually stepped out (barely) the stride before but then juked back in thus Keith'*****. Don't think it should have been called but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I told my kids I didn't mind the Holcombe penalty cause Kamara wasn't the same the rest of the game.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I didn't think it was a bad hit at all. I don't have a problem with the late hit out of bounds call because the contact was made at that 50/50 point. But Kieth had no way of knowing if Kamara was going out of bounds or not. I mean he had just tip-toed down the sideline for about 25yds already. If Kieth hadn't of committed to that tackle, Kamara probably picks up the 15 on the ground anyways. The tackle forced him out.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Got into a heated discussion about this during the game. If you follow this through, the hit occurs almost simultaneously with his first step out of bounds. Until that point he is not officially out - I don't care where the rest of his body is, until some part of it touches the white he is fair game.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Funny thing is, if you read the A&M boards, they're delighted to get away from B12 officials and get SEC stripes. They feel the B12 officials favored UT big time and I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't correct. BTW, how's the knee coming?
Have a month off but can't afford to take it. There's an academics course that's 2 weeks long, offered only twice a year, and I had a slot. Couldn't afford to miss out. Class started today, so when it's done, I'll enjoy the last two weeks off. Thanks for asking.

Regarding the big 12 officiating, I have no doubt that was true once upon a time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.