Officiating across college football

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Wow, is there any way to explain that? That seemed textbook perfect defense to me. That indeed might be the worst targeting call of all time.
Nah, that had to be the call on one of our db's early last year or the year before. He was making a play on a thrown ball (if I remember right, I was listening...not watching) and his head made contact with the receivers. It was overturned (I believe) but the initial foul call seemed incredibly unbelievable.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I agree with you, Rich. Make things like Targeting, Ineligible Downfield, and Personal Foul during a play challengeable calls, just like down-by-contact and ball spot. The consequence is loss of a timeout. No brainer.

Of course, this assumes that the replay booth and/or geniuses in Birmingham will actually get the call right on replay.
I agree with being able to review/challenge calls that aren't truly judgement calls. For example, ineligible man downfield. Either he is beyond the 3yds when the ball is thrown, or he isn't. There is no grey area. Why that isn't a reviewable play, I don't know. Fouls such as holding or pass interference should remain judgement calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Why not?

It it is a classic good old boy network. They have now found a way to keep the older guys on payroll by letting them man command central in Birmingham
Probably have a bunch of young college student interns watching all those TV's while the old refs are in the back room somewhere playing poker, drinking whisky and smoking cigars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
It is a classic tradeoff between pace-of-play/keeping game durations shorter/human element/traditional elements (chain gangs, etc.) vs. absolute accuracy/technology/longer delays in the pursuit of justice. Once you start down the road toward absolute accuracy, it is the camel's nose under the tent. Replay will continually expand, delays will take longer, etc. Not necessarily a bad thing (and it's a really good thing to attempt to get everything right) but no one should be under any illusions that it doesn't change the game.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
In case you forgot, this thread is available throughout the season. Case in point, watching the Arkansas vs aTm game in the 4th quarter and the interference call for the ball that was WELL out of bounds.

sent from my pyromaniac note 7

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Ok, all from the end of the Georgia vs Tennessee 3rd quarter, the two ground balls were pretty ridiculous.

In the acc, the unc safety in fsu was overturned

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
The safety being overturned was terrible. Forward progress only applies if the runner is actually trying to go forward. Francois was running backward the entire time.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
If you guys haven't seen it, find the final minutes of bob stoops temper tantrum in the Oklahoma vs tcu game. Here's the cliff notes;

Tcu qb throws the ball from the pocket as being hit by defender and ball lands near no one. It's correctly called an incomplete pass by the refs. Refs actually announce that it wasn't a penalty. Stoops loses his mind, 2 minutes go by, flag is thrown for intentional grounding.

Sometime explain this to me

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I assume you guys missed this because LSU game time conflicted with Alabama's, but this is just dumb. LSU receives a punt, returns for some yardage and tackled. TV timeout. Come back from timeout and LSU starts to run a play, a jet sweep, just as the QB receives the ball from center and hands to the WR, the refs blow the whistle and announce the prior play is under review. They go back and review the punt return and call targeting on an LSU blocker. He gets ejected. I'm still iffy on whether that was the right call, but the SEC rule is that the officials are not allowed to review a play during a TV timeout. What an unnecessary waste of time.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
It's not college football, but one of the worst calls I've ever seen happened in the Texans-Titans game today. Titans are punting, the kick is easily blocked, and a Texan scoops it up and has a clear path to the endzone. The refs blow the play dead well after the kick was blocked.

The ref who was behind the kick returner 50 yards away had thrown a flag because he had counted 12 men on the field. The refs huddle up and announce that the play was blown dead because of an "assumption" of 12 men on the field, but the 12th man was off the field well before the snap. They replayed the down and instead of a block and TD, they wound up getting pinned inside their own 10.

Wound up not mattering as the Texans won, but it was one of the most erroneous calls I've ever seen.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That call in the Georgia game still makes me believe the refs are on the take. How else can you explain the ref looking right at the receiver (with a clear view) and sees the ball rolling around on the ground ..... and.....and....and ruling a reception! :rolleyes: This was not a mistake unless the ref has dropped his glasses. Then the replay booth ignores the call. :rolleyes: Hmmm.

I told my wife Georgia would not win the game because the fix was on and there at the end they found thirty yards of penalties so get Tennessee in Hail Mary distance. Were there really two fouls? I don't know but seeing blatant cheating going on cause me to suspect it all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I assume you guys missed this because LSU game time conflicted with Alabama's, but this is just dumb. LSU receives a punt, returns for some yardage and tackled. TV timeout. Come back from timeout and LSU starts to run a play, a jet sweep, just as the QB receives the ball from center and hands to the WR, the refs blow the whistle and announce the prior play is under review. They go back and review the punt return and call targeting on an LSU blocker. He gets ejected. I'm still iffy on whether that was the right call, but the SEC rule is that the officials are not allowed to review a play during a TV timeout. What an unnecessary waste of time.
Hmmm, so CBS helps write the SEC rule book.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If you guys haven't seen it, find the final minutes of bob stoops temper tantrum in the Oklahoma vs tcu game. Here's the cliff notes;

Tcu qb throws the ball from the pocket as being hit by defender and ball lands near no one. It's correctly called an incomplete pass by the refs. Refs actually announce that it wasn't a penalty. Stoops loses his mind, 2 minutes go by, flag is thrown for intentional grounding.

Stoops is really a Jedi knight?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Did anybody see how the officials totally missed an incomplete pass that was called complete on Tennessee's next to last drive Saturday? I think it was a 1st down play and they threw about a 7 yard pass that the receiver clearly dropped as replay showed but it was called a catch in real time by the officials. UT went fast and got off a play before it was reviewed.

I think there needs to be a rule change that when teams "go fast" to avoid a questionable call that the officials can declare a play dead if previous play was clearly botched.

How the replay officials didn't buzz down on that one is inconceivable but that play shouldn't have never stood.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

I actually saw that play and I think Stoops and ultimately the officials got the grounding call correct. Kenny Hill had dropped back and was in the pocket when the pressure got to him. He turned to his right where he thought his outlet out of the backfield might be and threw a pass about 5 to 8 yards beyond the line of scrimmage where no TCU player was within 15 yards of where the pass had landed. His outlet was busy trying to take on a DE and never released for a pass route and I believe the Ref behind the line was too occupied on the pocket and OLine play to pick up where the ball landed in relation to an eligible receiver. The Head Linesman and Umpire seemed to be the officials who told the ref about the intentional grounding. The Ref even got the spot right on the pass attempt as Intentional Grounding is a spot foul from the point of release of the pass with no yardage mark off and a loss of down.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I actually saw that play and I think Stoops and ultimately the officials got the grounding call correct. Kenny Hill had dropped back and was in the pocket when the pressure got to him. He turned to his right where he thought his outlet out of the backfield might be and threw a pass about 5 to 8 yards beyond the line of scrimmage where no TCU player was within 15 yards of where the pass had landed. His outlet was busy trying to take on a DE and never released for a pass route and I believe the Ref behind the line was too occupied on the pocket and OLine play to pick up where the ball landed in relation to an eligible receiver. The Head Linesman and Umpire seemed to be the officials who told the ref about the intentional grounding. The Ref even got the spot right on the pass attempt as Intentional Grounding is a spot foul from the point of release of the pass with no yardage mark off and a loss of down.
But they also said the rule was that the defensive contact automatically made it an incomplete pass, similar to a tipped ball means no pass interference

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
But they also said the rule was that the defensive contact automatically made it an incomplete pass, similar to a tipped ball means no pass interference

The defensive contact did not force the throw to go into the area that the pass was thrown and landed. Hill turned and under heavy pressure threw the ball away into that area where there was no one from TCU within 20 yards.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.