Officiating across college football

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I was going to start this last week after the CMU vs OSU game that resulted in the play that shouldn't have happened (hail Mary hook and ladder) for the win.

This thread should be updated throughout the season and we're not talking subjective stuff (pass interference) but straight ref failures (as listed below.) At this point in all the conferences, I'm pretty sure the refs are going to end someones season and possibly a playoff seed. Also, this is for all games watched, not just Bama/sec.

I passed out last night so I didn't get to see it but apparently in the cal vs Texas game a cal player dropped the ball before crossing the line and it was recovered by Texas. The refs reviewed the play and AGREED that the ball was fumbled, but not that Texas recovered it. HOW? WHY?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Question...

I was at Oxford and thought ole miss got in when their rb was stopped at the goal line on the play after the review for that long pass was called back because their video board only seemed to show favorable ole miss angles. I'm not complaining at the result of the replay, but was it clear that the rb was down or was it just too hard to overturn?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Question...

I was at Oxford and thought ole miss got in when their rb was stopped at the goal line on the play after the review for that long pass was called back because their video board only seemed to show favorable ole miss angles. I'm not complaining at the result of the replay, but was it clear that the rb was down or was it just too hard to overturn?
Hard to overturn. No camera angle on where his knee was when he stuck the ball over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Question...

RB's knee before the ball crossed the goal line. The officials got the reviewable plays correct after review. The ones that did not get called, however....

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
RB's knee before the ball crossed the goal line. The officials got the reviewable plays correct after review. The ones that did not get called, however....
The "no calls" on the sack fumble were egregious. I think the SEC office was covering for the fact that they simply missed it by saying he hit him in the chest. Clear helmet to chin. Even with the personal four - how can you catch that and not realize the runner was still at the 20 and call it "after the play"? Even if it was their ball it should have been around the 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I watched the replay on ESPN. He clearly dropped the ball before scoring, but Horn defenders did not act as if they believed it to be a fumble. A couple ran past the ball, and one casually bent down and picked it up without trying to advance it. Tough call for the refs to say Texas recovered. A good teaching moment for defenders to always hop a loose ball. Refs missed another dropped ball for OU that was ruled a TD.
I was going to start this last week after the CMU vs OSU game that resulted in the play that shouldn't have happened (hail Mary hook and ladder) for the win.

This thread should be updated throughout the season and we're not talking subjective stuff (pass interference) but straight ref failures (as listed below.) At this point in all the conferences, I'm pretty sure the refs are going to end someones season and possibly a playoff seed. Also, this is for all games watched, not just Bama/sec.

I passed out last night so I didn't get to see it but apparently in the cal vs Texas game a cal player dropped the ball before crossing the line and it was recovered by Texas. The refs reviewed the play and AGREED that the ball was fumbled, but not that Texas recovered it. HOW? WHY?

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
a lot of holding calls not made against miss off line. game has become to fast for the officials. I noticed a lot of lagging coverage as play was downfield. hard to make calls in pileups or goal line plays. will be better as season settles in.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was going to make a separate thread, but I'll put it here. What is this BS about Birmingham "concurring?" Are the reviews really taking place there? Do they have a control room with all the SEC-officiated games playing? I, for one, don't like it. It slows things enough already without the booth officials having to look over their shoulders to see if Shaw agrees. Is the next step for the Commissioner to be the final arbiter?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I watched the replay on ESPN. He clearly dropped the ball before scoring, but Horn defenders did not act as if they believed it to be a fumble. A couple ran past the ball, and one casually bent down and picked it up without trying to advance it. Tough call for the refs to say Texas recovered. A good teaching moment for defenders to always hop a loose ball. Refs missed another dropped ball for OU that was ruled a TD.
So casually recovering a fumble doesn't count?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I was going to make a separate thread, but I'll put it here. What is this BS about Birmingham "concurring?" Are the reviews really taking place there? Do they have a control room with all the SEC-officiated games playing? I, for one, don't like it. It slows things enough already without the booth officials having to look over their shoulders to see if Shaw agrees. Is the next step for the Commissioner to be the final arbiter?
Don't they have someone at the league office reviewing targeting calls or something like that?

In any event, both calls were botched. The targeting rule clearly states that when in doubt, it's targeting.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Yes, there is a "control center" with guys watching all the games. Honestly, if they could get the calls right, I wouldn't mind it taking a little time. But apparently they can't even look at a play in slo-mo and get it right. Awful

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I can't forgive the egregious targeting no-call on Jalen. You think the NFL would stand for this crap? Heck no, he would be fined for a hit like that.

To commit TWO penalties on one play and be rewarded with a touchdown simply CANNOT happen. Someone has to be accountable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, there is a "control center" with guys watching all the games. Honestly, if they could get the calls right, I wouldn't mind it taking a little time. But apparently they can't even look at a play in slo-mo and get it right. Awful
True. The B'ham position that Hurts was hit in the chest rather than the helmet was laughable...

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
I can't forgive the egregious targeting no-call on Jalen. You think the NFL would stand for this crap? Heck no, he would be fined for a hit like that.

To commit TWO penalties on one play and be rewarded with a touchdown simply CANNOT happen. Someone has to be accountable.
Indeed! Not to mention the fact the old saying the refs shouldn't interfere with the outcome of the game!!!!!! Not only did they do that but it could've cost us the game!! Thank goodness it didnt but Danng they need to do better with the no calls and the phantom calls!!!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think our team is experiencing a sort of hack a shaq phenomenon where due to his size he was almost incapable of being fouled and could easily be called for a foul. I think that is what we are seeing from an officiating standpoint where we are so good other teams have to hold us to make it a game and vice-versa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I suspect that officials "unofficially" try to make up for bad calls. The sack-fumble-TD was two missed personal fouls, one of which was a potential ejection, and they realized that after the fact. It is possible they try to make that up by being a bit generous in later calls. I think perhaps the no-call when Ole Miss RB had the ball over the line with no clear knee down was one of those. I don't think it would have taken a lot of imagination to give OM the TD there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.