Link: AP Poll Is Out And....

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Polls are worthless before the season. Agree
Polls are worthless for the first few games of the season. Agree
Polls shouldn't come out until such-and-such date. Disagree.

If the polls are meaningless, what do they harm? They give the fans something to talk about, and they keep journalists busy doing something harmless.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's whatever...it is all about hyping the television slate at this point though. At least the CFP Committee rankings creates a sort of transparency in the process but even they went overboard in year 1 by starting around midseason.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Polls are worthless before the season. Agree
Polls are worthless for the first few games of the season. Agree
Polls shouldn't come out until such-and-such date. Disagree.

If the polls are meaningless, what do they harm? They give the fans something to talk about, and they keep journalists busy doing something harmless.
Yeah, I can't understand why so many people actually seem to get angry about polls. If you don't like them, don't read them. It's simple. However, even if the AP did not release a poll until mid October, there would be other outlets who would. We would have threads on here asking who our top 10 or 20 or 25 teams are. We like to rank things and talk about why we agree or disagree with others rankings.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
I enjoy the carnage in the top 10. The screaming, crying and gnashing of teeth is fun in this popularity contest called the polls.
As long as the script A stands in the top 4, I'll politely give my condolences on their recent loss while screaming RTR in my mind. :)

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
No reason to change the fact that we have polls out early in the season. It all eventually lines up in October anyway. The preseason polls give everybody something to talk about and argue about.
And something for the teams themselves to think about. Some teams can handle having a single digit next to their names. Some can't. I'll reserve judgement on Louisville once they play a big game as a top 5 team.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
It shouldn't surprise me, but the talking heads like David Pollack are saying Louisville should be #1. They always knee jerk. I agree with an earlier poster that we would have lots of trouble with Louisville at the moment, but I don't think they've earned the top spot yet.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we are being fair then the polls should be
1. Bama
2. tosu
3. Louisville
4.aTm

Louisville only gets the nod for 3 because they beat fsu. All others had very difficult road games and have played more quality opponents than Louisville.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
1. Bama
2. tosu
3. Louisville
4.aTm

Louisville only gets the nod for 3 because they beat fsu. All others had very difficult road games and have played more quality opponents than Louisville.
Still more accurate than preseason. I wish they wouldn't even have a poll until after the games, but you have to start somewhere. Imo, Louisville deserves it. They could have put 80 on FSU if they wanted.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
gumptider;2881058[B said:
]It shouldn't surprise me[/B], but the talking heads like David Pollack are saying Louisville should be #1. They always knee jerk. I agree with an earlier poster that we would have lots of trouble with Louisville at the moment, but I don't think they've earned the top spot yet.
No, it really shouldn`t. Color me paranoid if you will, but I feel that you wouldn`t have to hunt very hard to find TV talking heads ( Pollack, Galloway, etc., etc ) who would just as soon see anybody be # 1 as us. God, it`s good to be hated. And envied. And feared.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
1. Bama
2. tosu
3. Louisville
4.aTm

If the rankings started from scratch today, I'd keep your top 3 but have Houston at 4. I know they struggled some with Cincy, but Thursday night on the road against a decent opponent isn't any easy game. Louisville can beat anybody in the country, but I also think they could lose to one of the top 40 teams in the country. I don't think a team outside of the top 25 could beat us or Ohio State.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
No, it really shouldn`t. Color me paranoid if you will, but I feel that you wouldn`t have to hunt very hard to find TV talking heads ( Pollack, Galloway, etc., etc ) who would just as soon see anybody be # 1 as us. God, it`s good to be hated. And envied. And feared.
And it makes for good ratings, vs. Ole Sis game was really good. I don't mind them wanting us to get beat, but I do enjoy that we are respected. Coach Saban is universally respected, and even liked by most now lol. It was not that way during the grind to the top.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I want to know how the talking heads would respond to UL's overall schedule? Do they ever have to run the gauntlet of something like at the Hogs, at UT, and home for the Aggies? I still contend that smaller schools with weaker schedules have the luxury of not getting thru a season beaten up, injuried, fatigued, etc and get up for an occasional game during the season and then a bowl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the rankings started from scratch today, I'd keep your top 3 but have Houston at 4. I know they struggled some with Cincy, but Thursday night on the road against a decent opponent isn't any easy game. Louisville can beat anybody in the country, but I also think they could lose to one of the top 40 teams in the country. I don't think a team outside of the top 25 could beat us or Ohio State.
aTm has a better resume through 3 weeks with UCLA at home and auburn on the road. It's still cutting heads at this point and I still think it's good that Houston and Louisville have to play each other so it will sort itself out. But again who really cares at this point.

I want to know how the talking heads would respond to UL's overall schedule? Do they ever have to run the gauntlet of something like at the Hogs, at UT, and home for the Aggies? I still contend that smaller schools with weaker schedules have the luxury of not getting thru a season beaten up, injuried, fatigued, etc and get up for an occasional game during the season and then a bowl game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Louisville is going to get a lot of love because they are the non power team in the mix with the best chance.

But I think you are going to see way more of this than anything about Louisville.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ation-of-oklahoma-should-scare-alabama-091816

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Why is 1-2 Oklahoma still ranked, and so we really believe FSU is better than Arkansas.
1) about Oklahoma

Simple answer: because the Big 12 is effectively locked out of the playoff at this point, and they need to boost the winner of the RRR as much as they can

Long answer: To keep the acc, big 12, and Houston all in play.

2) FSU> or = to Arkansas:

Fsu is better than Arkansas, but Arkansas is more durable and more experienced in terms of adversity than practically every team in the country. I say the latter part mostly because Arkansas is that team that has an uncanny multiple ot winning percentage and if they sniff a chance to win then 9 times out of 10 they win. They also are deeper in the meat and potatoes type players and bielema has always had that weird 2nd or 3rd stringer that doesn't miss a beat that comes in. They are a solid team that can make some noise in the SECW.

But with that said... I think it would be extremely foolish to pick against FSU if they played Arkansas. Yes Arkansas is more durable and more experienced in close games, but their defense gives up a lot of points to far lesser talent than FSU, and while FSU's defense is somewhat overrated they are better equipped to stop a team like Arkansas. So yes FSU despite getting scorched by a high powered Louisville that played no one previously is still better than Arkansas. But again none of this matters until the CFP comes out.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I mean, if Louisville runs the table they'll have wins over Florida State, Clemson, Houston, and the ACC Coastal champion. They'll be very deserving, even if they don't face the SEC gauntlet.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.