Link: AP Poll Is Out And....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Yeah its still really hard to figure out who is good. Imo Michigan is getting too much love right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Louisville jumps to #3 (to the surprise of no one), ND is out. Texas falls 10 spots. I'm starting to be a believer that polls shouldn't come out until the 1st week of October at the earliest.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings
You can't stop journalists from expressing an opinion (even a structured collective opinion like a poll), but I would agree. They are pretty much worthless until 1 October.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't understand what a voter can do in mid October that he can't do in mid September.
I've always thought they should wait until the teams play around five games. That way they could at least have a pretty good idea of who's really good and who's not.
Plus, if a team is ranked high in the preseason they have an advantage for staying ranked. Like 1-2 Oklahoma.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
OSU and Michigan in the top 5 wow. Pretty diverse, all power 5 in there. We have 2 in one poll. Petrino is one of those coaches that builds a machine that no one else can drive when he leaves, but he drives well when there. Glad I am not a FSU fan. I would still be in the bed if we ever had 63 put on us in a lopsided loss. I think Jimbo is fading, which helps our recruiting I think.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Until we have a system that doesn't involve voting, the polls will always be a problem. Pollsters get excited and vote based upon the most recent game, instead of looking at the entire body of work. That being said, the Ohio St. v. Michigan game later in the season will be a great game.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
No reason to change the fact that we have polls out early in the season. It all eventually lines up in October anyway. The preseason polls give everybody something to talk about and argue about.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Like everything else in this world we live in it's driven by money...How many magazines, clicks, posts, etc. Why give it up when we ALL buy into it? Plus, we're aways pretty easy to find...:) RTR!!!
No reason to change the fact that we have polls out early in the season. It all eventually lines up in October anyway. The preseason polls give everybody something to talk about and argue about.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I like the preseason/early polls just because they give you some frame of reference for expectations, but I definitely agree that they don't really matter until far later. The playoff selection committee has definitely gone the right direction by not releasing their first rankings until November.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only reason any poll other than the CFP Committee Rankings exist anymore is that they need numbers to put next to school names for promos during the first 8 or 9 weeks of the season.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Louisville caught a bad Florida State team by surprise and Free Shoes got the worst beat down in their history. We'll see how good they are in the weeks to come.

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk
I'm not sure we would beat Louisville at the moment. I think we will come January. But right now we would struggle. Our schedule really does lay out well for us.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I'm not sure we would beat Louisville at the moment. I think we will come January. But right now we would struggle. Our schedule really does lay out well for us.
No doubt Louisville is a very good football team with Lamar Jackson, but I don't think they are going through the season without a loss. They get Clemson in 2 weeks in Death Valley. Clemson plays Georgia Tech this Thursday, so they will be coming off a game where the defensive focus will be maintaining your lane and not over-pursue. Georgia Tech is a far cry from Louisville, but to beat them I think you have to play a similar defensive scheme.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Be interesting to see how Louisville handles the pressure, especially on the road. Jackson is very good. They have to protect him at all costs.

FWIW, I was traveling and had to listen to this one on the radio. Their announcers make the Barners sound objective.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.