How effective Alabama's screen passes/jet sweeps were at Ole Miss

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Isn't funny how some people seem to know more than a coach with 5 National Championships and is making 8 million dollars a year? I shake my head sometimes but I also assume what is being done is for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I kept complaining about the jet sweep. My Son-in-law said they were setting something up. Everything they do has a purpose. :biggrin:
I agree, almost every play has a purpose. I was thinking, that was a bad or busted play but in reality it was by design. Coach Kiffin is light years ahead of most other OC's. I would only be mildly surprised if Sarkisian joining Coach Kiffin was orchestrated to a point, especially if he got wind that his hot seat was red hot.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If any of you follow Cole Cubelic on Twitter, he has a fantastic video explanation of the play.
Cole does a good job of analyzing blocking and line play. His radio show is a bit too "barn-centric" for my taste but I guess the station up here in HSV has to keep the balance with him in the morning drive time & Wes in the evening.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Isn't funny how some people seem to know more than a coach with 5 National Championships and is making 8 million dollars a year? I shake my head sometimes but I also assume what is being done is for a reason.

No kidding.

I think it's funny how after a 3-0 start with a TF qb we still have people whining

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Yeah. I admit to being critical when in reality I have less knowledge than most on this board, and much less than the Alabama staff. Kiffin is so much easier to get mad at, I guess, but in reality he is one of the best. Coach Saban would never have hired him otherwise.

Cole does a good job of analyzing blocking and line play. His radio show is a bit too "barn-centric" for my taste but I guess the station up here in HSV has to keep the balance with him in the morning drive time & Wes in the evening.

Well, he is a barner. But as former Auburn players go, he has always seemed level headed in his analysis of Alabama.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Lane Kiffin is inflicted with the "punch-able face" disease. There is just something about that guy which makes people at a subconscious level want to hate him.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I agree, almost every play has a purpose. I was thinking, that was a bad or busted play but in reality it was by design. Coach Kiffin is light years ahead of most other OC's. I would only be mildly surprised if Sarkisian joining Coach Kiffin was orchestrated to a point, especially if he got wind that his hot seat was red hot.
I don't think they were designed to consistently lose 0-5yds per play to lure the defense into a false sense of security.

Kiffin is just an OC. He is a good OC who is great at developing QBs and knows how to use his talent for the most part. But let's not get carried away and act like he is some all knowing mastermind who is secretly revolutionizing football as we know it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think they were designed to consistently lose 0-5yds per play to lure the defense into a false sense of security.

Kiffin is just an OC. He is a good OC who is great at developing QBs and knows how to use his talent for the most part. But let's not get carried away and act like he is some all knowing mastermind who is secretly revolutionizing football as we know it.

Back to back SEC championships with two 1st year starters has to account for something. I don't think he is Steve spurrier 2.0, but you are going to have a very short list of possible next comers that are worthy of the comparison, and Kiffin is firmly on that list.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think that would interesting. See the post above this one. For me, there is a disconnect - if the off tackle and the jet/screen both cause safety creep, why not take the one that yields more yards and moves the safeties up?

My crude analysis doesn't take into account the pre-snap motion. Will be interesting to see if you find that motion helped/hurt the running game.
Hurts was less than accurate downfield Saturday. His spiral was off on several throws and that would directly affect downfield passing.

I'm thinking a lot of our runs had that jet sweep window dressing, and the effective runs in the second half sure did.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Back to back SEC championships with two 1st year starters has to account for something. I don't think he is Steve spurrier 2.0, but you are going to have a very short list of possible next comers that are worthy of the comparison, and Kiffin is firmly on that list.
And one of our most dominant NC teams was OC'd by Nuss. A whole lot more went into those back-to-back SEC championships than a great O.

I'm not saying Kiffin isn't a great OC. He certainly is, and is arguably our best under Saban. But he is not some offensive savant just because Saban said they had planned to run some jet sweeps against Ole Miss.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lane Kiffin is inflicted with the "punch-able face" disease. There is just something about that guy which makes people at a subconscious level want to hate him.
Urban Meyer also has that same "smirky" look that seems to condescend to everyone on the planet.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Urban Meyer also has that same "smirky" look that seems to condescend to everyone on the planet.
Well Lane is OUR condescending so and so. Therefore, we tolerate him. Urban is yours and we been despising him for a while now. :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

All plays are designed and called to gain yards. But it doesn't mean it doesn't accomplish other purposes, even when they lose yards. I'll use a small scale example. I coached youth football for over five years. If a team ran a reverse on our defense it forced me, as the coach, to account for that in my defensive alignments going forward. Regardless if the actual play gained yards or not. Because if I didn't keep someone flanked out to the backside of the play. I knew the other coach would notice it and burn us for an easy TD the moment he didn't see us respect it. The reason I know that would happen is because there were times I didn't respect it and didn't align my defense for it and within a play or two they ran it and we got burnt for a long, easy TD. The same concept transfers to the college level.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hurts was less than accurate downfield Saturday. His spiral was off on several throws and that would directly affect downfield passing.

I'm thinking a lot of our runs had that jet sweep window dressing, and the effective runs in the second half sure did.

Saban mentioned in one of the pressers that Hurts had sprained his thumb sometime in the first quarter. That could account for the wobbles. He has had some under-throw issues but I don't recall his first 2 games throwing that wobbly a pass.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm mildly concerned about his hand size (NTTAWWT), after his loss of the ball. He looked to be gripping the ball pretty far back and that's one adaptation for it. Well, that and deflating the ball a bit... :D

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm mildly concerned about his hand size (NTTAWWT), after his loss of the ball. He looked to be gripping the ball pretty far back and that's one adaptation for it. Well, that and deflating the ball a bit... :D
I have not checked out his hand size but Danielson said Jalen creates a lot of torque with the way his throwing motion whips his arm when he is trying to throw a hard or deep ball. Along with the heat and humidity creating a lot of moisture I can buy this.

In response to AlexanderFan, most of his non tight spiral balls are on the throws he takes a little off on intermediate routes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have not checked out his hand size but Danielson said Jalen creates a lot of torque with the way his throwing motion whips his arm when he is trying to throw a hard or deep ball. Along with the heat and humidity creating a lot of moisture I can buy this.

In response to AlexanderFan, most of his non tight spiral balls are on the throws he takes a little off on intermediate routes.
Also, the thumb issue might explain the ball loss event...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.