How effective Alabama's screen passes/jet sweeps were at Ole Miss

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Saban-explains-direct-snap-TD-jet-sweeps-at-Ole-Miss-47692230

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
alabama.247sports.com/Bolt/Saban-explains-direct-snap-TD-jet-sweeps-at-Ole-Miss-47692230

That was the play that BB had issues with that led the the CNS meltdown. It worked with JH and Ridley at Ole Miss. So I again ask, was it the wrong time to call the play? Or wrong QB to run it with? I have never seen a direct snap like that, would seem to be a JH package.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That was the play that BB had issues with that led the the CNS meltdown. It worked with JH and Ridley at Ole Miss. So I again ask, was it the wrong time to call the play? Or wrong QB to run it with? I have never seen a direct snap like that, would seem to be a JH package.
Saban said the direct snap wasn't intentional.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Personal opinion? multi. 1. A play reserved for when needed 2. Not play BB should be running 3. Coach Saban likes his shutouts. Those 3 ingredients caused him to go off.

I did get the vertical game-plan strategy hunch correct. It supplemented any early lacking in deep horizontal, which was proved correct by CNS.
I would guess that coach Saban has around a 130+ IQ, Kiffin same, both not Mensa society, if so, why so successful?. We have members in the 145 range. Emotional, pure intellectual and spacial intelligence, all come into play to be successful as a coach. Coach Saban has a collective in the 99.9 % group.

1. Sticking with Jalen = Emotional guidance, emotional intelligence for the team.
2. Vertical and horizontal = Spacial outside of the box strategic intelligence.
3. Knowledge of which personnel to play, setting up plays (OK vs Clemson), knowing Ole Miss matches up well etc. is pure intellectual IQ.

See Gus Malzahn for someone with a high IQ but lowly emotional intelligence, yanking QB's and team harmony. He probably has 145+ IQ.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
from the article, aight.

“Well, Ole Miss was putting so many guys over there that when we ran the counter, we averaged about 168 yards per play on it back the other way. So nobody thinks that the jet sweep had any impact on that, that they were putting so many guys over there, aight, that now when we go back the other way, they’re soft.

“So these are things that people don’t necessarily understand, that things are sort of packaged together, aight, and complement each other and one complements the other. So one of the reasons that we were able to run the ball so effectively inside last week was because they were so worried about the flanks. We sent some kind of jet motion 28 or 29 times in the game, and it was very effective for us even though we maybe only handed the ball off to the guy three times.”

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Personal opinion? multi. 1. A play reserved for when needed 2. Not play BB should be running 3. Coach Saban likes his shutouts. Those 3 ingredients caused him to go off.

I did get the vertical game-plan strategy hunch correct. It supplemented any early lacking in deep horizontal, which was proved correct by CNS.
I would guess that coach Saban has around a 130+ IQ, Kiffin same, both not Mensa society, if so, why so successful?. We have members in the 145 range. Emotional, pure intellectual and spacial intelligence, all come into play to be successful as a coach. Coach Saban has a collective in the 99.9 % group.

1. Sticking with Jalen = Emotional guidance, emotional intelligence for the team.
3. Knowledge of which personnel to play, setting up plays (OK vs Clemson), knowing Ole Miss matches up well etc. is pure intellectual IQ.

See Gus Malzahn for someone with a high IQ but lowly emotional intelligence, yanking QB's and team harmony. He probably has 145+ IQ.
I don't think my IQ is high enough to follow this. I just thought CNS was mad that we let them score.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

What?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Let me make it easier for others to read:
1. He's saying that the play where BB fumbled the ball on the Jet swing, that was a wasted play.
2. He's saying that Saban was upset with how the play unfolded and how it led to TD.
3. On the vertical game plan stretegy, He had a hunch that they would try it.
4. He's saying that coaches on the football staff have different kind of intellgience that fits with the team culture and how it was very successful for them. ( I didn't understand that part)
5. He's saying that sticking with Hurts proved to be the best decision for the team because of all qualities he bring to the team.
6. The Vertical and Horizontal passing game ( Jet sweet, play action, screen passes, etc) are based on stragetic move to determine what the opponent team will do.
7. Kiffin is so good at what he does with his offense, knowing how to fit the game for the players on the team know how to find the mismatch in the opponent team.
8. If you look at Gus... he's nowhere near CNS and Lane Kiffin when it comes to playcalling.

Hope that helped!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My prior comment about the snap to Ridley is obviously wrong. Won't be the first or the last. But actually glad to know now.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The snap timing on that jet mesh was much better last year. Don't know if that is on the QB, Center, or Both.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.