How effective Alabama's screen passes/jet sweeps were at Ole Miss

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click here to read:

A total of 13 plays were either screen passes or jet sweeps to receivers. Those plays netted 30 yards. Two produced first downs.
Another, Calvin Ridley's direct snap late in the first half, went for a touchdown. A screen to running back Damien Harris late in the first half was the longest of the group by covering eight yards. All 12 of the other plays involved either Ridley or ArDarius Stewart.
Note they ran over 50 plays in the game, and only 13 plays were screen passes or jet sweeps. It looks like we see lot of them in the game, but it is actually lower than we thought it would be.

Lot of people are saying that the direct snap ridley was an accident, but I'm not sure about that. Auburn ran that play several time and I think its a designed play.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
That's roughly 1/4 of the plays. How many of them lost yardage? How many of them contributed to killing a drive/3 and out?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone brought these up in the Damian Harris thread. Repeat what I said there, people were tired of the jet sweeps until the end of the Tennessee game.

And there's no arguing the screen passes last year helped win the national championship.

Casagrande shows us how they helped this week, too.

Easily missed in the wild action was the big play these short throws set up. Midway through the second quarter, Jalen Hurts faked the quick receiver screen to freeze the Rebel defensive back. That gave Gehrig Dieter space up the sideline for a 30-yard reception. The heavy dosage of receiver screens made the DB jump the route.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Bulk was in the first half. I think the issue was that they weren't working and we kept doing them. Moved away from it in the second half.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
At first blush those plays seem fruitless but running those plays at the start of the game serves a purpose that doesn't show until later in the game. It forces the defense to defend the entire field. It forces them to align their defense to account for those plays. Because if they do not those plays get chunk yards real quick. Once you convince them (in the first half) that those plays are apart of your offense they begin adjusting their defense accordingly. Which softens up the middle and allows for chunk running plays in the second half when they are spread thin by alignment and are also dog tired. It's not pretty to watch at first, but there is a method to the madness.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Last year they didn't work well either but as the season wore on the WR's starting blocking them better and they became more effective. Having said that in my opinion the main purpose of the stuff is to tire out the D and force them to cover the entire field to set up stuff for later.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Someone brought these up in the Damian Harris thread. Repeat what I said there, people were tired of the jet sweeps until the end of the Tennessee game.

And there's no arguing the screen passes last year helped win the national championship.

Casagrande shows us how they helped this week, too.
iirc, we got a (maybe a couple) of very nice gains saturday on basically the same play derrick ran for a td vs tennessee

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They serve a purpose. It's frustrating. But it's kind of like running off tackle a bunch even though it may only be picking up a yard or two. Those safeties start creeping up to the LOS and then you burn them with play action.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They serve a purpose. It's frustrating. But it's kind of like running off tackle a bunch even though it may only be picking up a yard or two. Those safeties start creeping up to the LOS and then you burn them with play action.
Bingo. Those fans complaining are fine with those plays, though. Those are the "tough earned yards," not "gimmicky."

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Good thing Casagrande has a breakdown in the article.
Yep. And 13 plays for 30 yards (2.3 yards per play) to me is ineffective when we were running the ball well in zone read and direct hand off situations (6.6 YPC in the 1st half between Harris and Jacobs) and you have true freshman QB making his first road start in the SEC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not only do I think the Ridley direct snap was by design - I think the whole "only ten men on the field" was by design. Note that the guy who came out (Dieter) forced them to start thinking, "Huh, yeah, okay" and then the direct snap offset the defense's anticipated timing, too - and Ridley scored.

I may be wrong, but I think it was ALL be design and was Spurrier-esque in its design.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Some plays are a litmus test: less about the immediate result than what it indicates about defensive game plan and reactions. If you look at it as an proper experiment, the first few are narrowing down what criteria you're going to measure in the second set, which is intended to set up a reliable read for the third set.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I understand they serve a purpose. So does picking up 6 yards a carry with your RBs (the off tackle situation you reference). For me the disconnect is that if both achieve the same result, why would you keep doing the jets/screens if they are netting ~2 yards per play? Why not run the off tackle for 6 yards per?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yep. And 13 plays for 30 yards (2.3 yards per play) to me is ineffective when we were running the ball well in zone read and direct hand off situations (6.6 YPC in the 1st half between Harris and Jacobs) and you have true freshman QB making his first road start in the SEC.
I understand they serve a purpose. So does picking up 6 yards a carry with your RBs (the off tackle situation you reference). For me the disconnect is that if both achieve the same result, why would you keep doing the jets/screens if they are netting ~2 yards per play? Why not run the off tackle for 6 yards per?

Again, the yards might not come in the particular plays but come later when the defense adjusts. I don't have the time to do it right now, but I'm curious as to how many successful running plays happened after a player came in motion or with OM aligned wide to defend the width of the field.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Again, the yards might not come in the particular plays but come later when the defense adjusts. I don't have the time to do it right now, but I'm curious as to how many successful running plays happened after a player came in motion or with OM aligned wide to defend the width of the field.
I think that would interesting. See the post above this one. For me, there is a disconnect - if the off tackle and the jet/screen both cause safety creep, why not take the one that yields more yards and moves the safeties up?

My crude analysis doesn't take into account the pre-snap motion. Will be interesting to see if you find that motion helped/hurt the running game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not only do I think the Ridley direct snap was by design - I think the whole "only ten men on the field" was by design. Note that the guy who came out (Dieter) forced them to start thinking, "Huh, yeah, okay" and then the direct snap offset the defense's anticipated timing, too - and Ridley scored.

I may be wrong, but I think it was ALL be design and was Spurrier-esque in its design.
i also noticed that hurts seemed to act like he was confused at what happened.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.