7 NFL Running Backs Injured this week - Does that open door for Trent?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
No, I don't think so. He can't come in and contribute right way, but I would expect to see Sims getting a chance, along with other name... Ray Rice. Don't be shocked to see him back in NFL this season. There are few RBs that's on practice squad who may get some shot.
I think Trent will get another chance before Rice does. Rice was on the way out before the incident. Trent seemed to finally have his head together but his legs weren't ready yet.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
So let me get this straight...The NFL is somehow responsible for Ray Rice beating the H*** out of his wife in that elevator and therefore derailing his career??!! PULEEZE.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Couple points:

1. Trent is done
2. Ray Rice just happened to get caught on tape. And the woman married him. I disagree strongly with what he did. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't have the right to make a living. Many other players (including currently Giants kicker Josh Brown have had similar episodes), and I'd bet my paycheck that at least 3 people on this board have handled their wives or significant other in a less than delicate way, but didn't miss a day of work or a paycheck because of it. And I'm positive that said people's employers look down on domestic violence the same way the NFL says it does. Domestic violence is a widespread issue. It sucks for Ray Rice that he had to be a tipping point for the conversation and the NFL's stance on it. As I said, his now wife forgave him for it and took out a full page ad in the Baltimore Sun pleading for the city and team to forgive him and her for "putting him in that situation." At the end of the day, people turn a blind eye to people's personal demons at the cost of winning. It's done in almost every segment of business and sports. It is what it is.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Trent just turned 25 in July, he still has some years. Drafted so high, I bet he made a bundle in guaranteed and bonus. Does anyone know if he was paid all of his first contract? That would be a lot of money. Point, he should be set for life, his football future is only another 4 more years of his life if he plays. Get a head start on his next endeavor.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Couple points:

1. Trent is done
2. Ray Rice just happened to get caught on tape. And the woman married him. I disagree strongly with what he did. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't have the right to make a living. Many other players (including currently Giants kicker Josh Brown have had similar episodes), and I'd bet my paycheck that at least 3 people on this board have handled their wives or significant other in a less than delicate way, but didn't miss a day of work or a paycheck because of it. And I'm positive that said people's employers look down on domestic violence the same way the NFL says it does. Domestic violence is a widespread issue. It sucks for Ray Rice that he had to be a tipping point for the conversation and the NFL's stance on it. As I said, his now wife forgave him for it and took out a full page ad in the Baltimore Sun pleading for the city and team to forgive him and her for "putting him in that situation." At the end of the day, people turn a blind eye to people's personal demons at the cost of winning. It's done in almost every segment of business and sports. It is what it is.
Thank you. I agree with all you said.

I will add that I completely reject, not only domestic violence, but violence in general. But that doesn't mean that you should always lose your livelihood and be treated like a pariah, if you genuinely repent. If there has ever been a more genuinely contrite person, I've not seen them. This shown by his lack of whining or bitterness, among other things. I only followed for the first year or so, so, I don't know what has happened since. As Mack indicated, his wife has been much more vocal on his behalf. In fact, she was beside herself in view of his treatment.

Also, the NFL had specific rules regarding domestic violence, but violated them because of the public outcry. This was to make an individual pay for the NFL's shortcomings. That should never be done.

Finally, according to the testimony by Ozzie Newsome, Ravens' GM, Roger Goodell essentially lied about the meeting (Goodell, Ravens' org) with Ray. I don't remember the details but it was material to the eventual treatment of Ray Rice. Ozzie did not accuse Goodell of lying but just repeated his version of what happened, which was in direct contradiction to Goodell's version. It made more sense too. Actually, IMO, Baltimore did not support Ray as they should.

I've had awful experience with DV: in my youth, someone very very close to me was beaten more than once, one time almost beyond recognition. This was a former NY fashion model, with a beautiful face. I've never even been tempted to raise my hand against a woman. I hate domestic violence. I also hate unjustly destroying an individual to relieve public pressure on yourself and your organization. The Brady saga is just another example of the often arbitrary nature of NFL justice.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Trent just turned 25 in July, he still has some years. Drafted so high, I bet he made a bundle in guaranteed and bonus. Does anyone know if he was paid all of his first contract? That would be a lot of money. Point, he should be set for life, his football future is only another 4 more years of his life if he plays. Get a head start on his next endeavor.
He's done

Zaiva

1st Team
Feb 27, 2013
Pretty sure he is already broke. Apparently friends and family took a lot of it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Nobody's done until they're dead or have given up. I have no idea about Trent's current situation, but if he dedicates his butt off and works like a crazy fool...he can still make it in the N.F.L.
He has to stop the hesitation on the hand-off. That half a second pause has killed him because the N.F.L. defenses are so fast.
At Bama, Coach S. wanted him to take, "His steps", because our offensive line was so good in zone blocking that our backs could actually read where they were supposed to run.
In the N.F.L., you simply have to take it and go.
No idea what will happen in the future for Trent but he's not done yet unless he gives up.
sip

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
......That half a second pause has killed him because the N.F.L. defenses are so fast.
At Bama, Coach S. wanted him to take, "His steps", because our offensive line was so good in zone blocking that our backs could actually read where they were supposed to run.
In the N.F.L., you simply have to take it and go.......
sip
During the preseason I saw several undrafted RB's make squads, out of small schools. Most all were bread and butter. Bust through the line, and then make a move or two after. North and south.

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
no one is saying he shouldn't be allowed to work. i just dont he should be allowed to play pro ball. i said the same thing about vick. i have a HUGE issue with people that go around abusing animals and other people. the NFL should is a privilege, and when you screw that up, you shouldn't be allowed back in...go get a REAL job, like the rest of us

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Guys, let's not get too personal about Ray Rice... This is strictly about football.
The reason I brought him up is because there has been some rumblings that he could get to play in NFL again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oor-for-ray-rices-long-awaited-second-chance/
Then don't bring up controversial things that only semi relate to the topic at hand. Ray Rice is a very controversial incident, and we all know why. There are far more less controversial rbs out there that won't get the response that just happened.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I hope Ray Rice does get a shot. The railroad job done on him by the NFL was sickening, but he has handled it well and does not seem bitter. I hope he can still play and make some money.
What kind of railroad job? He beat up a woman.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Lions just announced they will not sign Ray Rice. I don't know what teams around NFL will do with bad situation at RB. At some point, they probably will have to sign some players that never was drafted, or is on practice squad and pray they make it through the year.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
What kind of railroad job? He beat up a woman.
Should he be put to death ? Deported to a sandbar in the Caribbean ? Banished from employment ? .... Anyway, I've outlined the reasons in a post above and WMack4Bama's post is a better read. Hopefully, your mind and heart are open to at least consider what is said.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Ray Rice is the sacrificial lamb for all those who resent the money and lifestyle of pro athletes. Is what he did deplorable? Yes on all levels. However, there is redemption for all in my faith. If we knew what has transpired historically in pro sports (such as NFL and NBA) with regard to the treatment of women, we might never watch another down. The NFL is not a privilege -- it is a job -- a tough, mostly temporary job. The Not For Long league is true...

Now -- back to the theme -- TR. We've beat that down so much...only TR knows whether he has any thing left in the tank or whether he has any money left, either. If he wants to play -- and can -- I hope he gets his knee healed up and gets a chance. If he doesn't, I hope he finds a good job and has a good life. If he can demonstrate to a team that he is quicker and faster, he will get a shot.

And that's my rant this morning just after breakfast...have a great day and I hope you laugh at least 6 times.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
If Ray Rice never plays another down of pro football ball it will be for one reason, he's not good enough. The only thing that really matters in the NFL is ability.

Vick came back until he was too slow.

Ray Lewis came back and has become a legend mentor

Hardy beat the crap out of his girlfriend too and he's playing

Too many drug cheats to name

Too many recreational drug users to name

Too many drunk drivers to name

In the NFL it's all about money and the ones that are judged "redeemable" just so happen to still have the ability to play the sport at an elite level.

Ray Rice is the perfect posterboy for the league's "zero tolerance" for DV. His crime was caught on tape and most importantly, he has become a subpar running back.

Sent from my Y538 using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If Ray Rice never plays another down of pro football ball it will be for one reason, he's not good enough. The only thing that really matters in the NFL is ability.
100% truth. The child rapist would play in the NFL if he were talented enough on the field. It's one of the reasons I stopped watching the NFL years ago - literally all that matters is revenue.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.