Alabama's Secondary Play

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
If you are going to bring up Kelly's stats against FSU don't half tail it. He still had 39 attempts with 313 yards and 4 tds. Also that same FSU team gave up only 212 through the air against Louisville. So if you are trying to make the argument that Chad Kelly is not an elite qb good luck.
The four turnovers do not tell half of the story, they tell how the story ended. They contributed to the loss of the 21 point lead and the end result which was the loss of the game.
I am pretty sure that the morning after, Ole Miss fans were not saying they were OK with the four turnovers and loss to FSU since he still had 39 attempts for 313 yards and 4 TD's. Turnovers and ball security do matter when assessing a QB, especially a senior.
Professional teams will likely be more critical of a four turnover game then they will be happy of a 313 yard game.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Here's the only thing important about Kelly: he is in the rearview mirror. I don't really care about his NFL potential but I'd wager, albeit a very small amount, that he'll have every opportunity to make it in the league.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The four turnovers do not tell half of the story, they tell how the story ended. They contributed to the loss of the 21 point lead and the end result which was the loss of the game.
I am pretty sure that the morning after, Ole Miss fans were not saying they were OK with the four turnovers and loss to FSU since he still had 39 attempts for 313 yards and 4 TD's. Turnovers and ball security do matter when assessing a QB, especially a senior.
Professional teams will likely be more critical of a four turnover game then they will be happy of a 313 yard game.
Then how do you assess someone like Ben roethlisberger who is notorious for sack fumbles but is in the top 3 and 4 in passing stats and has his team in the playoffs on a consistent basis.

If you really wanna bring th FSU game into the argument also consider that there was a lot more pressure on Kelly in the second half than there was in the 1st half. Ole miss's o line is the chink in their armor on offense, and it's a wonder we didn't get to him in the second half either. If you can't see that Kelly is a top 5 qb in the NCAA right now I don't know what to tell you. It's been proven that he isnt a Stephen Garcia type qb in that he gets hot 1 game and is cold the other 11. He is a consistent producer, and I wouldn't be suprised if he isn't in New York in December.

Here's the only thing important about Kelly: he is in the rearview mirror. I don't really care about his NFL potential but I'd wager, albeit a very small amount, that he'll have every opportunity to make it in the league.
The reason Kelly is even being talked about here is that some feel that despite all his collegiate stats that he is a Bo Wallace at best and our dbs are extremely overrated because they let him have 400+ yards through the air when we had our pass rushing, our starting CB, and our starting free safety out all through the fourth quarter.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Well, if it tells you anything, it was the same guy who watched the OM DE drive his helmet into Hurts' chin without a call...
The referee or umpire would have had the call on the hit on Hurts and the field or side judge would have had the pass interference call. It wasn't the same guy.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I think if we can limit the busted coverage's we will be just fine. Our guys will win more than they lose. Just can't give up the easy ones on a mental mistake.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I haven't read every page through the thread so I hope I'm somewhere within the scope of the conversation with my response. LOL! But here's one thing I've learned about beating a Nick Saban secondary. The quarterback has to be "on" regarding accuracy. Gary Danielson (as much as so many hate him) is dead on when he lays out his "keys" to beating Bama when we are on the CBS broadcast. His observation over the years is the quarterback MUST BE deadly accurate and accurate for the entire game. I think Danielson is right with this "key". We RARELY get beat by a team whose quarterback is "just average" that day. In the games we've lost the quarterback has played out of their minds or there have been some extraordinary weird plays that played into the victory (for the other team). We are a very aggressive secondary and with that style play comes the chances for getting beat. But the track record has proven, more times than not we come out on the good side. Finding quarterbacks with the consistency and accuracy to beat our secondary/defense is tough and simply doesn't happen often. Look at our record since 2008. It's mind boggling.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I haven't read every page through the thread so I hope I'm somewhere within the scope of the conversation with my response. LOL! But here's one thing I've learned about beating a Nick Saban secondary. The quarterback has to be "on" regarding accuracy. Gary Danielson (as much as so many hate him) is dead on when he lays out his "keys" to beating Bama when we are on the CBS broadcast. His observation over the years is the quarterback MUST BE deadly accurate and accurate for the entire game. I think Danielson is right with this "key". We RARELY get beat by a team whose quarterback is "just average" that day. In the games we've lost the quarterback has played out of their minds or there have been some extraordinary weird plays that played into the victory (for the other team). We are a very aggressive secondary and with that style play comes the chances for getting beat. But the track record has proven, more times than not we come out on the good side. Finding quarterbacks with the consistency and accuracy to beat our secondary/defense is tough and simply doesn't happen often. Look at our record since 2008. It's mind boggling.
But when it does it brings out the "sky is falling" crowd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.