Alabama and NOTs (non-offensive touchdowns)

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I mentioned to buddies before the game that we may need a nonoffensive touchdown to win. When we fell behind 24-3 and I saw how our offense was playing, I said we would need two nonoffensive touchdowns. I was still wrong. We needed all three. I hope our offense can become more consistent, but that doesn't seem to be kiff's strong point. It seems we are either feast or famine on offense, so I hope our special teams and defense can continue to add some points for us.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Occasionally, the NOTs actually concern me. If the defense just withstood a long drive from the other team, potentially in which the punt return team returns for a touchdown. Now the defense, which is probably a bit gassed, has to go right back out. I saw this in the Clemson game last year, and somewhat in vs. OM this weekend. The defensive unit (maybe even the coordinators sometimes) will eventually get tired, or at least caught slightly off guard. Although the touchdown gives the team scoring margin, it can set the defense up for difficulty at the end of the game as well as keep the offense off of the field. This also seems to allow for more of a shoot out mentality of the game.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Occasionally, the NOTs actually concern me. If the defense just withstood a long drive from the other team, potentially in which the punt return team returns for a touchdown. Now the defense, which is probably a bit gassed, has to go right back out. I saw this in the Clemson game last year, and somewhat in vs. OM this weekend. The defensive unit (maybe even the coordinators sometimes) will eventually get tired, or at least caught slightly off guard. Although the touchdown gives the team scoring margin, it can set the defense up for difficulty at the end of the game as well as keep the offense off of the field. This also seems to allow for more of a shoot out mentality of the game.
#Bamaproblems

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Yep, they should probably run out of bounds when they intercept a pass? #Overthinking

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Now 8 consecutive games with a defensive TD; unreal.
Is there a record for this stat?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
When UGA ran that onside kick back yesterday I thought they would have been better off falling down before the goal line. Because it gave Carolina a chance to score and try another onside kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidegrandpa

All-American
When UGA ran that onside kick back yesterday I thought they would have been better off falling down before the goal line. Because it gave Carolina a chance to score and try another onside kick.

Why was Ga allowed to advance that onside kick, when we did in Clemson game, it was not allowed to advance it?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why was Ga allowed to advance that onside kick, when we did in Clemson game, it was not allowed to advance it?

The return team can return the kick. The kicking team cannot advance the onside. Otherwise, you would have teams pooch kicking down the sideline to a streaking gunner for a score.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Like, I'm not even sure Eddie would finish in the top 10 on 40-yard dash with this roster but he is a natural at navigating cluttered blocking and seemingly directing the tacklers right into one his blocking. Possibly, EJ wouldn't even be in the top 5 at DB on the 40 right now.

I'm of the mind that pure speed is more important for kick returns and tailback-like vision but applied to open field blocking is more important for punt returns. Saban was suggesting as much when he talked about the change to Eddie Jackson in this game. The fast guys were missing the blocking lanes that would've sprung them for a big gain, so he went with the guy who seemed to have a knack for weaving through his blockers for big gains on interceptions.
True. Palmer wasn't the fastest guy on the team either...

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003

Because UGA wasn't the team that kicked it. If you're the receiving team, an onside kick is no different than any other kickoff. Most teams simply don't TRY to, but rather fall on the ball to ensure it doesn't end up with the other team.

Against Clemson, we recovered our own kick. You cannot progress your own kick. Now, if the receiving team FUMBLES, then you can progress that - because at that point you're not progressing the kickoff, but rather the fumble.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.