Alabama and NOTs (non-offensive touchdowns)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No. 1 Alabama is becoming known for nonoffensive touchdowns. The Crimson Tide have five such scores this season, including three that had a decisive impact on emotions and the scoreboard in Saturday's 48-43 comeback victory at No. 23 Ole Miss. That adds up to 15 return touchdowns since the beginning of last season: seven interception returns, five punt returns, one kickoff return, one blocked punt and Da'Ron Payne's 3-yard fumble return in Oxford. Senior strong safety Eddie Jackson has four of them -- three pick-sixes last season and the 85-yard punt return just before the half Saturday that cut the Rebels' lead to a touchdown.
Alabama can score on any play - RTR!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think it`s just terrific!! We have athletes on both sides of the ball and ST that can score at any time from anywhere. That`s a lot of pressure on the other bunch to be spot on, in all phases, all the time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I would love to see Eddie scoring touchdown on punt returner and on an interception play in the same game. That would elevate him to new level for NFL.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I saw an article or tweet about Eddie Jackson's "average" every time he touches the ball. I think it was like 32 yards a play. And then we know he's scored on about half of those times. Incredible.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
In my opinion, punt returning is less more about quick twitch and less about pure speed. It's also probably about equal parts good vision and quick decision making. Eddie Jackson isn't our most athletic guy but he does seem to have a knack for seeing the crease and moving around the blockers to set things up.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In my opinion, punt returning is less more about quick twitch and less about pure speed. It's also probably about equal parts good vision and quick decision making. Eddie Jackson isn't our most athletic guy but he does seem to have a knack for seeing the crease and moving around the blockers to set things up.
When he reaches top speed he is as smooth of a runner in the open field as you'll see.

FWIW, I agree about your ideas on punt returning. Most great returns aren't about short, quick steps, but about catching it and finding the seam, making a cut or two and turning on the burners.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Like, I'm not even sure Eddie would finish in the top 10 on 40-yard dash with this roster but he is a natural at navigating cluttered blocking and seemingly directing the tacklers right into one his blocking. Possibly, EJ wouldn't even be in the top 5 at DB on the 40 right now.

I'm of the mind that pure speed is more important for kick returns and tailback-like vision but applied to open field blocking is more important for punt returns. Saban was suggesting as much when he talked about the change to Eddie Jackson in this game. The fast guys were missing the blocking lanes that would've sprung them for a big gain, so he went with the guy who seemed to have a knack for weaving through his blockers for big gains on interceptions.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Like, I'm not even sure Eddie would finish in the top 10 on 40-yard dash with this roster but he is a natural at navigating cluttered blocking and seemingly directing the tacklers right into one his blocking. Possibly, EJ wouldn't even be in the top 5 at DB on the 40 right now.

I'm of the mind that pure speed is more important for kick returns and tailback-like vision but applied to open field blocking is more important for punt returns. Saban was suggesting as much when he talked about the change to Eddie Jackson in this game. The fast guys were missing the blocking lanes that would've sprung them for a big gain, so he went with the guy who seemed to have a knack for weaving through his blockers for big gains on interceptions.
He looks like he's flying to me at top end speed. I think his longer stride makes him look not as quick, but I'd bet he's around 4.4 in the 40.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He looks like he's flying to me at top end speed. I think his longer stride makes him look not as quick, but I'd bet he's around 4.4 in the 40.
Not bashing his speed but on this roster he's getting beat by a few steps or more on the 100m. More of a testament to the quality of athlete we bring in...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I read we have scored a NOT in five straight games. That is an amazing stat. The WWE belt idea has increased our TO's and yards after catch on int's has been incredible, mostly due to Eddie.
I love watching the "Ball Out" belt change hands during a game. It is a cool moment for those guys. Some of them are like Ric Flair, 19 time champion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.