Question: In the hospital

Hey guys, I'm in the hospital for the first time in my life and I have to say I'm terrified. It's my gall bladder and I don't know what that all means but they are looking at taking it out. I know it's not probably life or death but being 36 and healthy one has to wonder how in the world??! I guess I'll be fine though. Still, terrified. Any of you had yours taken out?

RTR

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm really sorry to hear that, man. I had mine taken when I was 22, so 15 years ago. I'd just lost a bunch of weight and gallbladder problems are not uncommon after that. Anyway, after passing just one stone and the nearly unbearable pain, I decided to get that thing out of me.

I had the laparoscopic surgery. My surgery was kind of rough, though, as my gallbladder was terribly inflamed. I was well doped up in the hospital and they sent me home with a giant bottle of pain pills. It took me about a month to get "right" again. Well worth it in the end. I do still have two tiny scars.

Best of luck to you. I know many people that had a much easier time than me and were resuming normal activities in a few days.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Hey guys, I'm in the hospital for the first time in my life and I have to say I'm terrified. It's my gall bladder and I don't know what that all means but they are looking at taking it out. I know it's not probably life or death but being 36 and healthy one has to wonder how in the world??! I guess I'll be fine though. Still, terrified. Any of you had yours taken out?

RTR

Brother had his out before his drinking got the better of him.

You should be perfectly fine without your gallbladder. It's one of the most common procedures and you should recover quickly and be back to normal in no time.

I assume they're doing it laproscopically? It's hardly invasive and comes with a quick recovery. Scars will barely be noticeable. You'll be fine long term and your quality of life should not suffer.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
gallbladder removal is no big deal, you will be back on you feet in no time. I had mine out 2 years ago. mine was in really bad shape and my recovery took a little longer than most.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Never had anything done to me J - let alone gall bladder removal.

But I'm sure you will be fine. Our medical practices here in the US are pretty dang good these days (I'm told).

Selma could probably add more - in the meantime hang in there and know you are in our thoughts and prayers!

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I know three people who have had theirs taken out via laparoscopy and none of them had any problems at all. My dad had his out years ago the old fashioned way. He had some pain but was back at work (office job, but not at a desk all day) in less than a week. But, he's tough as nails. I wouldn't worry about the procedure at all. As others have said, it's one of the most common procedures and they have it down to a science. I'll say a prayer for you. Get well soon.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Speaking of stones, let me know if you ever want to talk kidney stones...

And best of luck to you. Should be no big deal.

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Had mine out last year, recovery was fast. Hard to say it's no big deal, since it is surgery, but you'll be fine soon. By any chance, did all that Hennessy last weekend do you in? :smile:

tidegrandpa

All-American

RTR

My Mom had hers out years ago,left just tiny spot, fine in a week. She was in late 60's. Hang in there.

My wife has hers removed last year, she was in a little pain for a week or so. Get well, prayers to you

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
My Mom had hers out years ago,left just tiny spot, fine in a week. She was in late 60's. Hang in there.
Had mine out last year, recovery was fast. Hard to say it's no big deal, since it is surgery, but you'll be fine soon. By any chance, did all that Hennessy last weekend do you in? :smile:
Speaking of stones, let me know if you ever want to talk kidney stones...

And best of luck to you. Should be no big deal.
Good luck to you Brother. You'll be OK .
I know three people who have had theirs taken out via laparoscopy and none of them had any problems at all. My dad had his out years ago the old fashioned way. He had some pain but was back at work (office job, but not at a desk all day) in less than a week. But, he's tough as nails. I wouldn't worry about the procedure at all. As others have said, it's one of the most common procedures and they have it down to a science. I'll say a prayer for you. Get well soon.
Never had anything done to me J - let alone gall bladder removal.

But I'm sure you will be fine. Our medical practices here in the US are pretty dang good these days (I'm told).

Selma could probably add more - in the meantime hang in there and know you are in our thoughts and prayers!
gallbladder removal is no big deal, you will be back on you feet in no time. I had mine out 2 years ago. mine was in really bad shape and my recovery took a little longer than most.
Brother had his out before his drinking got the better of him.

You should be perfectly fine without your gallbladder. It's one of the most common procedures and you should recover quickly and be back to normal in no time.

I assume they're doing it laproscopically? It's hardly invasive and comes with a quick recovery. Scars will barely be noticeable. You'll be fine long term and your quality of life should not suffer.
I'm really sorry to hear that, man. I had mine taken when I was 22, so 15 years ago. I'd just lost a bunch of weight and gallbladder problems are not uncommon after that. Anyway, after passing just one stone and the nearly unbearable pain, I decided to get that thing out of me.

I had the laparoscopic surgery. My surgery was kind of rough, though, as my gallbladder was terribly inflamed. I was well doped up in the hospital and they sent me home with a giant bottle of pain pills. It took me about a month to get "right" again. Well worth it in the end. I do still have two tiny scars.

Best of luck to you. I know many people that had a much easier time than me and were resuming normal activities in a few days.
Feelin you :cool:

Seriously, good luck and rapid recovery!
Thanks to you all. Need this to be done before the weekend.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Had mine out 3/29/16. I was one of the more rare and (un)lucky people who began laparoscopically and during the course of surgery had to be opened up the old-fashioned way. Of course the doc said mine was the biggest, baddest he'd seen in 34 years of doing surgery, so I'm that unusual (if you've never noticed before). Went back to work April 25. My first attack occurred in the we hours of 3/23. Wasn't happy about having surgery but I definitely survived. Given that mine ended up being an open procedure so he could feel what was liver and what was gallbladder as he was separating the two (GB was full of stones, infected, and necrosed and fused with the liver in places) (plus it was too big to get out laparoscopically), my recovery was much longer than the laparoscopic procedure. I would have been back to work in 6 days if he didn't have to open me up. Bonus points: I got a picture of it after it was out.

P.S. You'll be fine. My experience is pretty rare actually. Complications are rare. Very common procedure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.