Tony Brown Suspension (UPDATE: Eligible Against Kentucky)

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Re: Nick Saban knows verdict of Tony Brown's NCAA suspension appeal, he just can't re

I have not kept up with everything on this, but isn't Tony on the track team and was he suspended from the track team? Just curious....

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Nick Saban knows verdict of Tony Brown's NCAA suspension appeal, he just can't re

It is interesting that Saban cannot comment about it though. A real head scratcher.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

I have not kept up with everything on this, but isn't Tony on the track team and was he suspended from the track team? Just curious....

My understanding is that he was allowed to compete while his appeal was pending...

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

From what I hear the usual penalty is six games and everything that was public said that is what it would be in TB's case. The University appealed, not really the six games, but to have them count the Michigan State and Clemson games from last year as 1 and 2, so that TB would only have to sit out the first four this year (i.e. he'd be eligible for Kentucky). Kind of like credit for time already served.

I understood he was allowed to continue to practice and has been with the 2s during media viewing. Those are valuable reps and I don't think they'd be spent on someone who was out for the year or indefinitely. I have no idea, zero, how he was able to compete with the track team (which he did) while being suspended from football -- maybe it has to do with his scholarship being from football, though to be honest that doesn't make sense to me.

Although, I remind myself, this is the ncaa so concepts like "logic" and "fairness" and "making sense" don't really come into it. I have tried to think of a time when a coach or player knew about a penalty and they were not allowed to talk about it. I don't think Saban is being cagey with the media this time; I really think something in the ncaa communications has he and/or compliance nervous about making any announcements about TB.

I do think not having him hurt us Saturday, especially with so many guys out with injuries.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Maybe its because it's part of the ongoing investigation into Ole Miss. You can't comment on ongoing investigations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I don't think Saban is being cagey with the media this time; I really think something in the ncaa communications has he and/or compliance nervous about making any announcements about TB.
I think he was asked not to reveal, agreed not to reveal, and is honoring that. I doubt it has to do with compliance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Maybe its because it's part of the ongoing investigation into Ole Miss. You can't comment on ongoing investigations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's been nothing thus far to suggest Tony was suspended for something Ole Miss related.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Either way he should be back for the UT game, which is most likely the first time we will really need him past last weekend. We should be fine against Kent, Kentucky and even Arkansas should not challenge our secondary too greatly as long as everyone is healthy.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Either way he should be back for the UT game, which is most likely the first time we will really need him past last weekend. We should be fine against Kent, Kentucky and even Arkansas should not challenge our secondary too greatly as long as everyone is healthy.
I'd say that's true for the starters in the secondary but our depth is very thin so any injuries and it could result in issues in the back just like we saw against ole .....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban just said Tony and Johnny Dwight are eligible for this week.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

He's worth the price of admission to watch on special teams.
I think we can all agree that his pigtails, alone, earn him the right to play some on defense as well.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Roll Tide! Welcome back guys!
Tony Brown can be an all-american in football and football.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

Good! We needed the depth.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

I've been pretty impressed with Averrett's play. He has held up pretty well since most teams have looked to go after him considering how good Humph and Fitz are. He has held up like a champ.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

So, Brown will get to wear the Deuce? Does that mean that he will play some on special teams or offense?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.