This will be my first true BD game experience and I need your tips

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I went to the LSU game last year, but it was a quick in and out, never really spent time on campus.

It's parents weekend. Not doing any activities with that, just there to see my son and enjoy the game. We rented a house with our friends from Nola, his roommate's parents. It's near university mall.

I obviously don't expect it to be a close game. I wish it wouldn't be an 11a game and I wish it wasn't going to be so hot, but I have to play the hand I'm dealt.

I hear I should have a yellow hammer. What else?

What do I need to know about the game day experience in the stadium?

I'm looking forward to this weekend and appreciate your advices!!!

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
:BigA:Niceee! Envy you sir! Although you might be right hot so hydrate yourself and know that they have a new rule about taking things into the stadium must be clear so I've heard and around the size of a small shopping tote;)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I went to the LSU game last year, but it was a quick in and out, never really spent time on campus.

It's parents weekend. Not doing any activities with that, just there to see my son and enjoy the game. We rented a house with our friends from Nola, his roommate's parents. It's near university mall.

I obviously don't expect it to be a close game. I wish it wouldn't be an 11a game and I wish it wasn't going to be so hot, but I have to play the hand I'm dealt.

I hear I should have a yellow hammer. What else?

What do I need to know about the game day experience in the stadium?

I'm looking forward to this weekend and appreciate your advices!!!
Yes, stop by Gallette's and have a Yellow Hammers, and go across the street and try Big Bad Wolf bbq (the nachos are great). If you get a chance hit the Bryant Museum, and visit the quad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Get onto campus early. 101,000 of your closest friends will be there to watch the game, plus another 30,000 or so will be there just to hang out on the quad and the Strip, so expect everything to be crowded.

The team will take the Walk of Champions 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff - I highly recommend that experience. Go to the Quad, see the hand- and cleat-prints of the captains at the base of Denny Chimes. The Million Dollar Band performs on the steps of the Library one hour before kickoff, but hurry to your seat after that to see the team take the field. Bryant Museum is well worth a visit, but with the early kick, plan to see that after the game instead of before.

There are so many great things to see, you won't fit them all in one trip, so plan now to return.

Every gameday spent in Tuscaloosa is a privilege.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Breakfast at the Waysider for early games is always good. Small, crowded. But I've bumped into Steadman Shealy and other old players on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Breakfast at the Waysider for early games is always good. Small, crowded. But I've bumped into Steadman Shealy and other old players on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice! The Waysider is great -- food and environment!

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Skip Gallette's and the Yellow Hammers. Only worth doing if you are going with someone that went to Bama. For an 11am kick, stick to the Quad.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I suppose it's very difficult to change and forget things that have been drilled in to your being from childhood and early adult learning, but one tip to having a good time in BD Stadium and on campus is don't wear items marked with LSU, and don't wear purple and gold attire (in other words, don't poke an elephant in the eye or you will get a reaction).

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I suppose it's very difficult to change and forget things that have been drilled in to your being from childhood and early adult learning, but one tip to having a good time in BD Stadium and on campus is don't wear items marked with LSU, and don't wear purple and gold attire (in other words, don't poke an elephant in the eye or you will get a reaction).
Not necesarily directed at the OP, but I always pity the adults who come into BD stadium wearing another school's shirt who is not even playing there that day. They look stupid.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008
Also worth checking out some other posts from first-time game day goers. Several of those on the forum that you can find with searches. Lots of great info to go along with what you've seen here. I second grabbing a yellowhammer and going for the BBQ across the road at the Houndstooth.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
I graduated from the University of Alabama in 1985 and have lived in California and overseas since. I am very surprised that no one has mentioned and recommended Dreamland or Archibald's BBQ; friends have also told me that Jim and Nicks and Full Moon BBQ are now in Tuscaloosa. I used to think all 4 were very good....what happened?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Haha. You may want to think about this for a second. LSU is playing Auburn. :) My wife, younger son and I will all be wearing crimson and white. We are there to cheer for the Tide. Although, I do have that white LSU visor I could wear that would blend in nicely... I think I'll save that for 5pm.

Great recommendations from everyone!! Someone off line also recommended watching the band come into the stadium, something like an hour before the game. We may try to do that. I want to try to hit the museum if possible.

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
Had the opportunity to eat Full Moon BBQ that was catered at the university before a Bama game a few years ago. It was delicious! Two years ago when Bama played MSU at home, me and my brother ate at Jim N' Nicks. It hit the spot! You can't go wrong with those two BBQ restaurants.

I graduated from the University of Alabama in 1985 and have lived in California and overseas since. I am very surprised that no one has mentioned and recommended Dreamland or Archibald's BBQ; friends have also told me that Jim and Nicks and Full Moon BBQ are now in Tuscaloosa. I used to think all 4 were very good....what happened?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Someone off line also recommended watching the band come into the stadium, something like an hour before the game. We may try to do that.
This is an excellent idea. The Elephant Stomp begins with the band on the Library steps (you'll hear them) then breaks up and reforms in front of Bidgood Hall on the west side of the Quad; there they begin their march and chant.
It's actually pretty cool. Before they get fully lined up, Big Al, cheerleaders, and Crimsonettes will informally pose with kids for pics. Adults, too, I guess, I just don't remember seeing that.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
North and East sides of the stadium face the sun for most of these early games. You'll want sunglasses/hat/sunscreen, etc.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
From that era, you may remember the T-shirts the staff wore at Dreamland: "No Corn, No Beans, No Slaw, No Fries, JUST RIBS, Don't Ask!", because all they sold was ribs. They do sell other things now, and the ribs are different than they used to be. Not bad - just different. Archibald's is our go-to place, but you can't go wrong with Full Moon, either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.