Let's Talk Louisville/Clemson

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Louisville looked great against FSU, which looked totally unprepared and shell shocked. I worry about teams that are as dependent on one player as Louisville seems to me to be. We'll know more after their game at Auburn-on-the-lake.
Louisville returned 17 starters from a very good 8-5 team that should NOT have lost the opener to the barn. Lost only by a FG, 17-20, to Clemson (14-1). Lost only by a FG, 31-34, to Houston (13-1).

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Not really a prediction, more a preference...I like Louisville.

There are certainly two different head coaching styles on display in this game.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I've got to go with WMack on this one. Clemson has a pretty good defense and Petrino doesn't do defense so much. Clemson big!

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
I was at the Georgia Tech game last night. If Clemson plays Louisville the way they played GT last night they will get beat. Maybe they were just bored after the first couple of drives. But they were sluuuuugish come 2nd half. If GT had the size of Clemson and could pick up any of their blocks...... Well, GT just made Clemson look a lot better than they are. ACC football. :rolleyes:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
do you honestly think clemson was preparing for troy?
Obviously not. Do you honestly thing Clemson should have beaten Troy by only 6 pts at home? I don't, and neither did the voters, who subsequently punished them by dropping them in the rankings. The game, preparation or not, should never have been that close.

Even after last night, It would appear that Clemson has some major issues with their offense and Watson is still not clicking like he was last yr. I was very impressed with their defense though. They stopped Tech's triple option attack in its tracks. Right now I'd probably go with Clemson being a slight favorite against Louisville, but only by the slightest of margins. Louisville has looked very impressive, while Clemson--for the most part--has not.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Obviously not. Do you honestly thing Clemson should have beaten Troy by only 6 pts at home? I don't, and neither did the voters, who subsequently punished them by dropping them in the rankings. The game, preparation or not, should never have been that close.

Even after last night, It would appear that Clemson has some major issues with their offense and Watson is still not clicking like he was last yr. I was very impressed with their defense though. They stopped Tech's triple option attack in its tracks. Right now I'd probably go with Clemson being a slight favorite against Louisville, but only by the slightest of margins. Louisville has looked very impressive, while Clemson--for the most part--has not.
I think Clemson just got too cocky and believed their own hype and just didn't take Troy seriously. They thought they could just sleepwalk through the game and still win. They found out real quick Troy came to fight.

Odd thing about Clemson was their defense was supposed to be not so good, but it is playing better than last year. The offense was supposed to be all world and they have looked like auburn's offense.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I think Clemson just got too cocky and believed their own hype and just didn't take Troy seriously. They thought they could just sleepwalk through the game and still win. They found out real quick Troy came to fight.

Odd thing about Clemson was their defense was supposed to be not so good, but it is playing better than last year. The offense was supposed to be all world and they have looked like auburn's offense.
Clemson's problem started when Watson was becoming offended by being called a dual-threat QB. He just needs to play his game.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Let me say I do NOT wish anything ill on the UL QB, but they are one injury away from being a slightly above average team. He is a talented runner and can throw, but can he throw enough to win it all?
Petrino can coach him some offense, but how is it he has not won a championship?
He's never had a defense that posed a threat to anyone

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
If Louisville's defense is any good, they are probably for real. In the past, Petrino typically hasn't paid any attention to his defense. Case in point...in 2011, the final poll ended up with Bama #1, LSU #2 and Arkansas #3. That was a very good Arkansas team, but Alabama and LSU both pummeled the Razorbacks. Petrino may have learned some lessons from the past few years. A lot depends on whether or not their QB stays healthy or not, too.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm a complete homer for Louisville this year. I think they'll beat clemson and it won't be close.

I'm so all in on Louisville that I dread the thought of possibly playing them, unless by that time our line had gelled and we've built defensive depth.

sent from my pyromaniac note 7

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Let me say I do NOT wish anything ill on the UL QB, but they are one injury away from being a slightly above average team. He is a talented runner and can throw, but can he throw enough to win it all?
Petrino can coach him some offense, but how is it he has not won a championship?
I just did some research since Houston and Louisville are getting a lot of love by the pollsters. No Team has won the Championship since 2003 without having top 16 recruiting classes the previous four years. Auburn won in 2010 with a 16th avg. So, if you want to win it you must have a top 10 average or have a Cam. Now the question is, does Petrino have a Cam this year? Forget Houston, they they don't have the talent to win two consecutive games in the CFP, at least by history.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.