Let's Talk Louisville/Clemson

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
They play a week from this coming Saturday in Auburn with a lake. So far I've been underwhelmed with Clemson and deshawn Watson. I think Louisville is for real and IF they win it could really shake up the polls, especially with us playing two very weak opponents the next two wks.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
With the spread being only 3.5, the betting public disagrees. Is it a hunch on your part or do you know something that they don't know?
Just watching the two teams play. Knowing the history of their offensive & defensive play callers (on both sides). I'd cast my lot with Clemson

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Clemson has a more complete team, and they have "been there". Louisville is now trying to deal with real success, which can become a problem. I like Clemson, but we all know what dynamic QBs can do to even the best defenses. Should be a fun game.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
If they play like they played the first 2 weeks, then I say Louisville blows them out of the water. Actually that's what I am betting on anyway unless Lamar Jackson has the worst game of his life. I don't think Clemson will keep up.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Troy nearly beat Clemson in Clemson. Let that sink in for a moment.
It happens. LOL. Those games can sometimes be a wake up call, and a good learning experience for younger, more talented guys (Clemson) playing against less talented, and seasoned juniors and seniors (Troy).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Let me say I do NOT wish anything ill on the UL QB, but they are one injury away from being a slightly above average team. He is a talented runner and can throw, but can he throw enough to win it all?
Petrino can coach him some offense, but how is it he has not won a championship?

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Clemson has a more complete team, and they have "been there". Louisville is now trying to deal with real success, which can become a problem. I like Clemson, but we all know what dynamic QBs can do to even the best defenses. Should be a fun game.
Yes, I agree with this. I think the public and media are always wowed by a team early in the season that fizzles out as we get towards the end of it. What's different about Louisville is they not only beat a quality team, they manhandled them. Can they carry that same chip on their shoulder, something to prove mentality through the season? I don't think so. I wouldn't mind being wrong as I think it generates excitement across CFB.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Lamar Jackson is a breath of fresh air and a remarkable talent. However, the career arc of such quarterbacks needs to get beyond the stage where opposing coordinators now have tape on you. Also, footballstudyhall (or it might be footballoutsiders) has a talent chart, and Louisville is barely above average in talent. Sooner or later, everyone on the team will need to contribute, and outside of the guys we have already seen, they don't have much.

I think Clemson has a bit more talent and are a bit more immune to the media exposure. Self-congratulation is a destructive emotion for a team that must now prepare for a deadly serious opponent.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Everyone thought Memphis was the real deal last year after beating Ole Sissy, they weren't. I'll reserve judgement on Ole Lou.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Freeshoes was a pre-season top 5 team. They looked sluggish against the Bears on opening night but came back like a storm. They have talent on that team. Maybe they were overlooking or something but the Cards romp over them really surprised me. Dabo's team won't be overlooking them for sure but, player for player, I don't see the Tigers with more talent than FLA ST. Granted, this will be an away game for Louisville but as long as that QB stays healthy I see Patrino's team in a dogfight until the end. It will be a 3 point game one way or the other IMHO.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
If Louisville looks impressive against Clemson then they will probably go to #1 and Bama to #2. I would actually welcome this to get the #1 off our back and give the guys something to get hungry for short term.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Preseason, I made this prediction on an ACC board.

2016 Atlantic Division prediction

• ALA2262
  • All-Conference
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 1966 posts this site
Posted: 8/29/2016 7:43 PM

2016 Atlantic Division prediction

[HR][/HR]Three-way tie for first. Clemson, FSU, and Louisville all 7-1 and 1-1 in their round robin with all three winning at home and losing on the road. Clemson loses at FSU, who loses at Louisville, who loses at Clemson.

ACC now realizes that is a distinct possibility.

ACC hires contractor to break possible 3-way tie

EDIT: FWIW, I now see it Louisville 8-0, Clemson 7-1, and F$U 6-2.

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Louisville looked great against FSU, which looked totally unprepared and shell shocked. I worry about teams that are as dependent on one player as Louisville seems to me to be. We'll know more after their game at Auburn-on-the-lake.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.