Paul Finebaum Obliterates UM Fanbase: "What a whiny and sniveling bunch"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Re: Paul Finebaum Obliterates UM Fanbase: "What a whiny and sniveling bunch"

Selma....Woody's last season was 1979. We curb stomped them in the Sugar Bowl after the 1978 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States
Paul Finebaum Obliterates UM Fanbase: "What a whiny and sniveling bunch"

Selma....Woody's last season was 1979. We curb stomped them in the Sugar Bowl after the 1978 season.

Pretty sure that was after the 77 season. Bama got jumped in the final poll by Notre Dame who was previously #5. A three peat thwarted before it started. Bama deserved that NC

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

So you're saying we beat Ohio State to win the 1978 national championship?

(I know you'll read this again and made an honest mistake, but I like you and that's cool).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

For the record, Hayes was fired after punching Clemson defensive player Charlie Bauman after the latter's interception to seal the 1978 Gator Bowl in Danny Ford's first game as head coach at Clemson (Ford had taken over for Charley Pell, who had been hired by Florida (and whose tactics both personal and tolerated would get both Clemson and Florida hit with severe sanctions).

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

We beat Ohio State in the 1978 Sugar Bowl after the 1977 Season. And Notte Dame jumped over us to win the 1977 Nat'l Championship. We won it on the field, but we were not awarded the 1977 national championship.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

We beat Ohio State in the 1978 Sugar Bowl after the 1977 Season. And Notte Dame jumped over us to win the 1977 Nat'l Championship. We won it on the field, but we were not awarded the 1977 national championship.

The second NC that the media robbed us of.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The ony thing that stands out about Bo Schembechler is the final Coaches poll following the 1978 season. It was reported that both Schembechler and USC's John Robinson voted Alabama 14th or worse in order for USC to be ranked #1 in the final poll. This was following USC's "Charles White phantom touchdown" to give them the 17-10 victory over Michigan in the Rose Bowl. They both may have rightly considered USC to be the #1 team, but only by placing Alabama so low could USC get the #1 ranking. I've hated Michigan ever since.
Oh man, I've never heard this story. That's low down and dirty and pretty pathetic.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Oh man, I've never heard this story. That's low down and dirty and pretty pathetic.
I have heard it, but simply don't believe it. Both denied it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I have heard it, but simply don't believe it. Both denied it.
Hopefully you're right. I could see Robinson doing it, since it directly benefited his team. I would still think it was classless though.

I'm also taking into account this would have been 40 years ago so I'm not that ​broke up about it.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

Hopefully you're right. I could see Robinson doing it, since it directly benefited his team. I would still think it was classless though.

I'm also taking into account this would have been 40 years ago so I'm not that ​broke up about it.
I'm glad we don't have to worry about polls now.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

MIchigan fans remind me a lot of Texas fans--they both seem to have a huge sense of entitlement, yet combined the both of them have only won TWO NC's in the last 46 yrs.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

And, nobody got the Daily Mountain Eagle or the Demopolis Times to name us national champs? Seems like an opportunity wasted to me.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL

What a whiny , sniveling, bugger eating bunch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

[/B][/I][/U]I'm just wondering, did they ever mention where they did place Bama in the final voting?

Roll Tide!
Sorry, I was 10 years old at the time so cannot remember, but I do remember them denying that they had voted Alabama lower to put USC on top. I also remember that the conspiracy theories said that they knew exactly how low that they needed to rank Alabama to make this happen. That is almost impossible given the era - no internet or email. How were they supposed to know, exactly? The more you examine the story, the less likely it seems.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The ony thing that stands out about Bo Schembechler is the final Coaches poll following the 1978 season. It was reported that both Schembechler and USC's John Robinson voted Alabama 14th or worse in order for USC to be ranked #1 in the final poll.
Who reported it? I'm assuming you meant 'in Alabama, we heard a rumor.' But the problem isn't that simple. The beef concerned several overlapping problems.

1) In the final regular season UPI (coach's) poll, Penn State and Alabama were 1-2, just like the AP. But after all the bowl games were completed, the top four teams all had one loss: Alabama, USC, Penn State, and Oklahoma. OU's loss was to Nebraska - who they beat in an Orange Bowl rematch. Penn State's loss was to Alabama, Alabama's to USC and USC to 9-3 Arizona St. Once Alabama beat Penn State, there was a problem: the AP had already set a precedent the year before when they jumped Notre Dame over Alabama in the final poll using the logic "they beat the number one team in the last game and had the best record." But in 1977, Alabama had not beaten Notre Dame head-to-head as USC had beaten Alabama head-to-head. On the road. By double digits.

2) USC had a bigger problem. First, their loss was worse than Alabama's loss. Of course, it's just one and they still won head-to-head. But while most people DO remember the infamous Charles White play, very few recall that USC had benefited from a ridiculous referee decision against Notre Dame. The Irish had taken a 25-24 lead with 48 seconds left, and then they appeared to recover a fumble by USC's quarterback that would have iced the game, but the refs ruled that the quarterback's arm was in motion, and that the "fumble" was an incomplete pass.It was a fumble, but the ruling gave USC the chance to hit a 35 yard pass to set up the winning field goal.

In other words, USC - like Colorado in 1990 - benefited from TWO officiating blunders. The AP likely took those into account as both of those games were televised and everyone knew about them.

The problem with the John Robinson-Bo conspiracy is Oklahoma. How could they ever know what to rank Alabama without knowing what every other coach would vote. And how could they know that. And fourteenth? Are you kidding me? Do ANY of you REALLY believe they could have ranked us down with four-loss Missouri (who we thumped that year) and the press wouldn't have made a big deal about it?

Of course not. There's no way this happened without involving everyone else.

This was following USC's "Charles White phantom touchdown" to give them the 17-10 victory over Michigan in the Rose Bowl. They both may have rightly considered USC to be the #1 team, but only by placing Alabama so low could USC get the #1 ranking. I've hated Michigan ever since.
Well, it preaches well, but it's simply not realistic. A lot of coaches would have looked at USC beating Alabama and known they might be in the same situation. Tom Osborne noted after going for two against Miami in 1984 that he would never vote for a coach who had the option of a win but played for a tie in the title game number one - and that he voted in that poll. In other words, Tom knew his coaching brethren just might sock it to him in the polls if he played for a tie against Miami. They had just voted in one-loss Penn State over unbeaten (but one tie) SMU the year before.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

[/B][/I][/U]I'm just wondering, did they ever mention where they did place Bama in the final voting?

Roll Tide!
This is the first time I've ever even heard that claim. Seriously.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Not sure how it was reported in Alabama. I was stationed in Maryland at the time.
Ah okay. Well, it's interesting, but I showed you why I don't buy it.

On a related note, however....there WAS a rumor in early 1991 that Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne had dropped Colorado to fourth in the final vote...and it was enough to give Ga Tech a share of the national title. And I could actually see those two coaches dropping Alabama to FOURTH, but not 14th.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.