Paul Finebaum Obliterates UM Fanbase: "What a whiny and sniveling bunch"

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Apparently Paul Finebaum was not happy with a Michigan fan who called in to his program. LINK

The ESPN Radio personality took a caller on "The Paul Finebaum Show" on Tuesday who asked why Finebaum isn't giving U-M the same love he has given Ohio State and Michigan State three weeks into the season. Finebaum asked the caller why he was "whining" this early in the season. The caller said Finebaum was comparing U-M coach Jim Harbaugh with Alabama coach Nick Saban, arguing that Saban walked into a winning program with the Crimson Tide. Finebaum let it rip after that. “If you’re going to walk into my bar, you better know what you’re talking about," Finebaum retorted. "Nick Saban did not walk into a winning program. He walked into a program where they just fired the coach who had gone 6-6. He had lost to his main rival (Auburn) four straight times. So why don’t you come back next week and actually know what you’re talking about and maybe you won’t be whining and crying, OK? Go Big Blue.”
The next caller asked Finebaum how he was doing. "Considering I just talked to a Michigan fan, not very well," Finebaum said. Then Finebaum said he had one more thing to get off his chest. “Is there a more pathetic fan base in America than the University of Michigan?" he asked. "What a whiny and sniveling bunch."

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Re: Paul Finebaum Obliterates UM Fanbase: "What a whiny and sniveling bunch"

This kind of reminds me of the time Don from Downtown called into Finebaum's show late in the season when Bama was having a bad year. He told Paul, "I told you they was gonna have a losing season! I said they was gonna go six and five!" :biggrin:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Finebaum (in his marketing genius) is trying to get a response from Jim Harbaugh to incite a public sparring match between the two. He knows how Harbaugh is wired and is baiting him into getting on social media and sounding off to his comments. Stuff like that drives ratings.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Couldn't have said it any better than that.

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk
One Championship in 65 years --- and that was Lloyd Carr, if I remember right. So "Bo" never won a NC. And yet, they compare him to Coach Bryant....

Geez...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

One Championship in 65 years --- and that was Lloyd Carr, if I remember right. So "Bo" never won a NC. And yet, they compare him to Coach Bryant....

Geez...
Yeah, forget the real traditional powers. They've got some work to do to catch up to Auburn. :wink:

Sorry, Dub.

Geez...
The nerve of some fanbases. Didn't know Bo didn't win one. That's sad.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

The nerve of some fanbases. Didn't know Bo didn't win one. That's sad.
Bo was quoted in an on field post game interview that winning the Big 10 and going to the Rose Bowl was more important to Meeeechigan men than winning a national championship.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Bo was quoted in an on field post game interview that winning the Big 10 and going to the Rose Bowl was more important to Meeeechigan men than winning a national championship.
I would say that, for decades, it was certainly viewed as just as important. The goal was winning the Rose Bowl. If you also won the national championship, so much the better, but that was not the goal. The reasoning was simple - wins and losses decided who played in the Rose Bowl. The national championship was a beauty pageant decided by media members who saw very few games. Since the advent of the BCS, and now the playoff, the goal has changed. It is now the goal to get invited to the dance, with the Rose Bowl a great fallback.

As for Bo - he was a very good coach, but not a championship coach. They exist. Would I compare him to Bryant/Saban/Meyer - heck no. But UM fans do. The sad thing - almost all young UM fans assume that he won championships. They are almost all surprised when they learn that he did not, such is his legend among their elders. They are taught that he was one of the best of all time. The lack of championships is never brought up. He did win a boat load of Big Ten championships.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere

Note how he didn't say anything about winning the Rose Bowl, as his teams were 2-8 in Pasadena.

When Schembechler arrived at Michigan, he wanted to toughen the culture, doing so with a grueling initial training camp for which the theme was "Those who stay will be champions." Given Michigan's subsequent Rose Bowl record under Schembechler, I maintain that the theme more accurately would've been "Those who stay will be Rose Bowl runners up."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Note how he didn't say anything about winning the Rose Bowl, as his teams were 2-8 in Pasadena.
LOL - yeah, ask a UM fan about Bo's career and they will quote Big Ten Championships (13 - some of those split) and Rose Bowl appearances (10). But against ranked teams, Bo was much like Mark Richt.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

LOL - yeah, ask a UM fan about Bo's career and they will quote Big Ten Championships (13 - some of those split) and Rose Bowl appearances (10). But against ranked teams, Bo was much like Mark Richt.
I was trying to find a coach to compare him too as I was reading through the thread and I think you nailed it. He was the Mark Richt of the 1970s/80s.

Well, talk about getting what they asked for.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL

I would say that, for decades, it was certainly viewed as just as important. The goal was winning the Rose Bowl. If you also won the national championship, so much the better, but that was not the goal. The reasoning was simple - wins and losses decided who played in the Rose Bowl. The national championship was a beauty pageant decided by media members who saw very few games. Since the advent of the BCS, and now the playoff, the goal has changed. It is now the goal to get invited to the dance, with the Rose Bowl a great fallback..
At that time, that was indeed the attitude of the entire Big 10. But, here, the attitude was that if you were good enough to win the SEC, you were good enough to have a shot and win the national championship. And, as far as the national championship being a beauty pageant decided by media members, during that time, most members of the media were in Big 10 country. Big 10 teams lost way too many ball games and the Big 10 was still a 2 team league then (UM and OSU) with an occasional Iowa or Michigan St having a big year and those teams lost too many games during the season. I want to say UM won the Big 10 one year with a loss and 2 ties. And I am sure Meeeechigan people will tell you how great they were.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

At that time, that was indeed the attitude of the entire Big 10. But, here, the attitude was that if you were good enough to win the SEC, you were good enough to have a shot and win the national championship. And, as far as the national championship being a beauty pageant decided by media members, during that time, most members of the media were in Big 10 country. Big 10 teams lost way too many ball games and the Big 10 was still a 2 team league then (UM and OSU) with an occasional Iowa or Michigan St having a big year and those teams lost too many games during the season. I want to say UM won the Big 10 one year with a loss and 2 ties. And I am sure Meeeechigan people will tell you how great they were.
Yeah. It may have been a beauty pageant but all the "judges" were certainly not concentrated in the South.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I would say that, for decades, it was certainly viewed as just as important. The goal was winning the Rose Bowl. If you also won the national championship, so much the better, but that was not the goal. The reasoning was simple - wins and losses decided who played in the Rose Bowl. The national championship was a beauty pageant decided by media members who saw very few games. Since the advent of the BCS, and now the playoff, the goal has changed. It is now the goal to get invited to the dance, with the Rose Bowl a great fallback.

As for Bo - he was a very good coach, but not a championship coach. They exist. Would I compare him to Bryant/Saban/Meyer - heck no. But UM fans do. The sad thing - almost all young UM fans assume that he won championships. They are almost all surprised when they learn that he did not, such is his legend among their elders. They are taught that he was one of the best of all time. The lack of championships is never brought up. He did win a boat load of Big Ten championships.
Do you think his lack of NCs was a result of the old Big10 rule of no back-to-back bowl games? I have no idea if that was in effect at the time. Just curious.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

Do you think his lack of NCs was a result of the old Big10 rule of no back-to-back bowl games? I have no idea if that was in effect at the time. Just curious.

I'm sure that B1GTide can correct me on this but I believe that when the Rose Bowl pact was originally signed between the two conferences that participation in other bowls by members of either league was prohibited and that the Big 10 forbade back-to-back appearances in the Rose Bowl for its members. Also, it seems to me that in the case of a tie for the Big 10 championship that the team with the most recent Rose Bowl appearance was eliminated. These factors probably cost them several national championships, of course as B1GTide has already stated, national championships were really something of an afterthought back then and were voted at the end of the regular season with the bowl games essentially treated as exhibition games when it came to statistical records and championships.

Incidentally B1GTide, we lived in Columbus when I was a kid and Vic Janowicz was a hotshot sophomore single wing tailback and was at least as highly regarded for his defensive play and kicking as his offense. Of course it was the Big Nine back then, I forget when exactly it became the Big 10 and who joined to make it ten teams.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.