Big 12 Expansion Irony

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If they are accepted into the Big XII, why would Herman necessarily leave?

Houston would still lie smack dab in the middle of a very fertile recruiting territory and they would have the added benefit of being in a Power 5 conference. And, through the expansion, the Big XII would once again have a conference championship game to help level the playing field with the other Power 5 conferences.

Given that, you'd be hard pressed to find another Power 5 school that would give Herman an easier path, year in and year out, to the CFP.
Tom Herman is this year's Justin Fuentes--he's the 'hot coach' that will be on everybody's list when the coaching carousel starts turning in November. I doubt very seriously that he stays in Houston.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Tom Herman is this year's Justin Fuentes--he's the 'hot coach' that will be on everybody's list when the coaching carousel starts turning in November. I doubt very seriously that he stays in Houston.

Ok, for the sake of argument, let's assume:
1 - It is announced that Houston will be admitted into the Big XII.
2 - It is announced that the Big XII will then resume having a conference championship game.
3 - The Houston AD makes it clear that they will want to keep Herman at the helm and will do whatever they can (read engage in a bidding war) to keep him.
4 - The current and future influx of cash from the Big XII conference would enable Houston to pay Herman close to whatever any other school might offer.

Given those conditions, what potential opening do you believe would represent greener pastures to Herman?

LSU is a big name but would that really be a better situation? Financially, LSU wouldn't be able to go over the moon paying him significantly more than Houston. While LSU is in a hotbed of recruiting, so is Houston - and he would have to compete with both SEC teams and Big XII teams, including the newly joined Houston, trying to raid Louisiana for those recruits. Finally, pretty much regardless of how the Big XII decided to structure their divisions, Houston's division would be much less competitive than the SEC West.

Texas A&M? Pretty much the same as LSU except A&M might be able to pay more.

The Barn? That's most likely a worse situation than the first two.

As for outside the SEC, maybe USC if Helton can't turn around this season? It's certainly a blue-blood name and recruiting shouldn't be that difficult. However, the path to the CFP for USC in the PAC 12 is probably more difficult than for Houston in the Big XII.

Without knowing Herman's personal motivations, I don't know how you can say any potential job opening would be more alluring to him than Houston. Maybe he likes the idea of coaching at a traditional power and/or in a stronger conference. Maybe he doesn't care about that and his dream is being an NFL head coach. I don't know.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Ok, for the sake of argument, let's assume:
1 - It is announced that Houston will be admitted into the Big XII.
2 - It is announced that the Big XII will then resume having a conference championship game.
3 - The Houston AD makes it clear that they will want to keep Herman at the helm and will do whatever they can (read engage in a bidding war) to keep him.
4 - The current and future influx of cash from the Big XII conference would enable Houston to pay Herman close to whatever any other school might offer.

Given those conditions, what potential opening do you believe would represent greener pastures to Herman?

LSU is a big name but would that really be a better situation? Financially, LSU wouldn't be able to go over the moon paying him significantly more than Houston. While LSU is in a hotbed of recruiting, so is Houston - and he would have to compete with both SEC teams and Big XII teams, including the newly joined Houston, trying to raid Louisiana for those recruits. Finally, pretty much regardless of how the Big XII decided to structure their divisions, Houston's division would be much less competitive than the SEC West.

Texas A&M? Pretty much the same as LSU except A&M might be able to pay more.

The Barn? That's most likely a worse situation than the first two.

As for outside the SEC, maybe USC if Helton can't turn around this season? It's certainly a blue-blood name and recruiting shouldn't be that difficult. However, the path to the CFP for USC in the PAC 12 is probably more difficult than for Houston in the Big XII.

Without knowing Herman's personal motivations, I don't know how you can say any potential job opening would be more alluring to him than Houston. Maybe he likes the idea of coaching at a traditional power and/or in a stronger conference. Maybe he doesn't care about that and his dream is being an NFL head coach. I don't know.
I agree. If they open up the checkbook and get into the Big XII that's a good gig. He basically needs to beat the Texas schools (UT, Baylor, TCU, TT) to get to the Big 12 title game, which there's no reason to think he can't.

SEC West carries the recruiting prestige of the SEC but it's so stacked you'll be fired after 3-4 years if you can't top Saban which few can. Maybe he'd have a better shot at something special at LSU, but it's definitely a tougher path.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If Houston gets into the Big 12 their quality of recruiting would automatically get a lot better. Especially seeing where their recruiting base is located. I haven't looked to check but it seemed aTm's recruiting got a pretty decent shot in the arm when moving to the SEC. I would expect the same type thing for Houston. Herman could possibly be sitting on a sleeping giant. From a recruiting standpoint they wouldn't have to leave the Houston area to fill their class with dang good talent.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Cousin went to USF. She was very good at bball. That could possibly hurt recruiting.

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk
Not a nice thing to say about your cousin.

Seriously, I don't want to promote someone from G5 to the SEC. The other four additions have all been from major conferences. They didn't have the P5 name back then, but the SWC would have been one. South Carolina was a football Indy, but were in the Metro for the other sports and it was a pretty good league and would have been strong if it had sponsored football.

I think the Gators would block USF if it ever came up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
This is part of the reason I've come to suspect that the Big 12 may not expand at all, at least right now. The way their TV contracts work, the payouts to the league increase on a pro rata basis if they expand. So unless the added schools are willing to take a diluted share for the first several years, there isn't any financial incentive to expand. And since the networks are less than thrilled with the crop of expansion candidates, why would they not simply up the payout to the existing 10 schools by an amount less than it cost them in the event two (or four) teams were added? Essentially pay them not to expand, but save money (over the expanded payout) by doing it.

When all is said and done, this whole deal may end up looking like nothing but a shake-down for more cash for a status-quo 10 member Big 12.

Not a nice thing to say about your cousin.

Seriously, I don't want to promote someone from G5 to the SEC. The other four additions have all been from major conferences. They didn't have the P5 name back then, but the SWC would have been one. South Carolina was a football Indy, but were in the Metro for the other sports and it was a pretty good league and would have been strong if it had sponsored football.

I think the Gators would block USF if it ever came up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I hurt myself laughing. That whole post was structured so wrong! lol

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It appears Houston is better than any team in the Big 12. The Big 12 is looking like the fools they are by wanting Houston to go to the back of the bus and take less. Hahahaha. Imagine the ACC wanting Notre Dame to take less and to go to the back of the buss when they eventually do join as a full member. Hahahaha.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If Houston gets into the Big 12 their quality of recruiting would automatically get a lot better. Especially seeing where their recruiting base is located. I haven't looked to check but it seemed aTm's recruiting got a pretty decent shot in the arm when moving to the SEC. I would expect the same type thing for Houston. Herman could possibly be sitting on a sleeping giant. From a recruiting standpoint they wouldn't have to leave the Houston area to fill their class with dang good talent.
According to 24/7 rankings aTm averaged #27 the last five years in B12. The next five years in SEC they averaged #12. They more than doubled their talent!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.