Big 12 Expansion Irony

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The team which handily defeated one of the two Big 12 Flagships will have to settle for less $$$ if they are accepted for membership in the B12. The team who would at present be the rep for the CFP would have to agree to lesser status. Now that is Ironic ..... and that is the Big 12.

I think if I were Houston I would rattle my sword for a larger cut right out of the gate. In mid October we should know more.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The question is will Houston sustain success post Tom Herman? I'm no sure they will.
If they are accepted into the Big XII, why would Herman necessarily leave?

Houston would still lie smack dab in the middle of a very fertile recruiting territory and they would have the added benefit of being in a Power 5 conference. And, through the expansion, the Big XII would once again have a conference championship game to help level the playing field with the other Power 5 conferences.

Given that, you'd be hard pressed to find another Power 5 school that would give Herman an easier path, year in and year out, to the CFP.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Houston would still lie smack dab in the middle of a very fertile recruiting territory and they would have the added benefit of being in a Power 5 conference. And, through the expansion, the Big XII would once again have a conference championship game to help level the playing field with the other Power 5 conferences.

Given that, you'd be hard pressed to find another Power 5 school that would give Herman an easier path, year in and year out, to the CFP.
And this is why I don't think it is a given that Houston is invited.

Texas and Texas Tech have voiced their support for the Cougars. But teams like Oklahoma, Ok State, Kansas and the rest of the old Big 8 have not. They don't want another power 5 to compete with for Texas recruits. It's hard enough as it is.

As for the equal revenue share, Nebraska joined the Big Ten and did not get equal revenue right off the bat. TCU and West Virginia are just now getting an equal share of the Big 12 revenue. Plus, this is nothing more than a cash grab for the current Big 12 schools anyway. They are seeking to maximize their short term revenue by doing this. In the end, I think this will prove to be nothing more than the current Big 12 teams getting all the money they can before the band breaks up.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm not sure why the Big 12 needs any more Texas teams.

It didn't seem to hurt the big boys' recruiting too much back when it was the Big 8 and that had a lot more Texas schools than the Big XII.

EDIT: Silly me, I meant to say the Southwest Conference.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
It didn't seem to hurt the big boys' recruiting too much back when it was the Big 8 and that had a lot more Texas schools than the Big XII.
I'm just thinking from a footprint stand point. The Houston market is already covered by fans of existing Big 12 teams. It would be like the SEC trying to add Georgia Tech. That's a place that is already covered by an SEC team.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm just thinking from a footprint stand point. The Houston market is already covered by fans of existing Big 12 teams. It would be like the SEC trying to add Georgia Tech. That's a place that is already covered by an SEC team.
I think it would be more like the SEC trying to add Houston. :biggrin:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe they should just call it the Big T and only have Texas teams.:wink:
Or, given the Big 12's "success" this year on the playing field, maybe make a more easterly incursion for a new member and invite Sewanee...and a package deal with Centre College could even restore numerical accuracy for their conference nomenclature...

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012

Plus, you only have to recruit offensive players in the Big 12 /blue font

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes, you're right.

I meant to say the Southwest Conference.

I guess I need some more coffee this morning.
:biggrin:
Coffee always helps. :) In this case I would point out that since the dissolution of the SWC, Texas has always sought to never return to such an arrangement. That's why it was interesting that they green lighted Houston's inclusion. Although, that could have been purely political cover.

I would like to see USF get an invite. Huge school, good academics and research (and rising), a football program that has had its moments and is looking pretty good again, big market, etc.
Cousin went to USF. She was very good at bball. That could possibly hurt recruiting. With Texas being open and the way Bama recruits, it would have minimal affect on what CNS. The Florida schools would have a different issue.

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.