Film Study: How Ole Miss Setup the Evan Engram Touchdown

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is interesting because it is definitely a HARD run fake but this was NOT a run-pass option. Why? First, they got the same look from the defense each time. Second, I think the first play was an all-the-way run while the second play was an all-the-way pass given how the WRs were playing on the outside. On the run play, each WR was engaged in their defender. On the pass play, Engram was in a full sprint off the line.

Same kind of "we'll show a bunch of fruitless plays to setup the one that will go for big yards or points" concept from Ole Miss but they showed they aren't all RPO! :D

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
This is interesting because it is definitely a HARD run fake but this was NOT a run-pass option. Why? First, they got the same look from the defense each time. Second, I think the first play was an all-the-way run while the second play was an all-the-way pass given how the WRs were playing on the outside. On the run play, each WR was engaged in their defender. On the pass play, Engram was in a full sprint off the line.

Same kind of "we'll show a bunch of fruitless plays to setup the one that will go for big yards or points" concept from Ole Miss but they showed they aren't all RPO! :D
Correct. Just bad eye discipline by our DB's on that play. The WR's for Ole Miss was telling you what they were doing. They were not blocking. They were going out for a pass.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
You have to love the chess match of football. There is a reason for everything if the coaches involved are good coaches. Only those who are fly by the seat of their pants kind of catch you off guard, and they aren't successful for long if they are like this.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You have to love the chess match of football. There is a reason for everything if the coaches involved are good coaches. Only those who are fly by the seat of their pants kind of catch you off guard, and they aren't successful for long if they are like this.
Cough* Gus * cough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Good set up by Ole Miss. Used Bama's aggressive play against them. Glad Bama rebounded.

Sent from my wife's old iPhone 6 until I get my 7+ using Tapatalk
I kept expecting Georgia Tech to hit Clemson last night with some big plays, but Clemson would get to him before he could throw even when receivers were wide open.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I've always loved running multiple plays out of the same formation. You pay attention to how the other team defends that formation and hit em where it hurts.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I kept expecting Georgia Tech to hit Clemson last night with some big plays, but Clemson would get to him before he could throw even when receivers were wide open.
I recall us running the option with Watts and at some point after we had run some options plays, he'd roll out like he was running the option, step back and throw downfield (well, as downfield for Watts... :biggrin2). Was pretty effective, iirc.

Like t the 0:35 mark here:

(some decent video of Fran shellacking Saban there from 2002... haha)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've always loved running multiple plays out of the same formation. You pay attention to how the other team defends that formation and hit em where it hurts.
I've long thought that the ultimate offense (it would require just the right players) would only have 2-3 formations from which you could do almost anything. In the real world it's probably not possible as so many skill players would have to be able to run the ball, catch, and block effectively. That said, I'm not sure Bama couldn't pull it off with the way we've recruited over the last few years.

But imagine an offense lining up and, as a defense, you literally have zero clue as to where the ball is going as film study is useless - the ball can end up anywhere on the field if everyone executes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've long thought that the ultimate offense (it would require just the right players) would only have 2-3 formations from which you could do almost anything. In the real world it's probably not possible as so many skill players would have to be able to run the ball, catch, and block effectively. That said, I'm not sure Bama couldn't pull it off with the way we've recruited over the last few years.

But imagine an offense lining up and, as a defense, you literally have zero clue as to where the ball is going as film study is useless - the ball can end up anywhere on the field if everyone executes.
Coworker's son was the starting QB for his high school prior to tearing his ACL. In the first week, they ran a total of 6 plays with multiple variations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The barn ran a play out of a similar lineup in the red zone where the TE would act like he fell down at the LOS. Thinking it was a broken play the LB let his guard down and seconds later the TE was in the end zone catching a touchdown.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I recall us running the option with Watts and at some point after we had run some options plays, he'd roll out like he was running the option, step back and throw downfield (well, as downfield for Watts... :biggrin2). Was pretty effective, iirc.

Like t the 0:35 mark here:

(some decent video of Fran shellacking Saban there from 2002... haha)
från sucks. thanks for reminding me :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.