JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
KSU wrap-up: Bama beats the heat, Golden Flashes in 48-0 rout
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 24th, 2016 09:17 PM

What Kent State couldn’t do to Alabama, the heat and the medical tent nearly did. Alabama defeated a poor KSU team 48-0, running up a 41-0 halftime score before having mercy on Nick Saban’s alma mater. Alabama played four quarterbacks and several walk-ons made the participation chart, […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Your BBQ grill comment: When I was a student in the 70s and BDS was just the lower bowl and the field was the hot Astroturf, I said more than once that they could stick a handle on one end and call it "The Skillet"!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Jalen Hurts further proved the validity of the players and coaches opinion that he would be the starter. (NO CONTEST)
Our other Quarterbacks got some reps, but in general it was Jalen who consistently moved us down the field.
I was suitably impressed by Jacobs as our RB, with Harris injured.

My impression of the game is that we beat a bad team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Really liked how few penalties were called on the o-line (2, I think?). Great improvement there. My only concerns coming out of the game in terms of quality of play are the drops by Dieter and the passing touch by Hurts down the field.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Really liked how few penalties were called on the o-line (2, I think?). Great improvement there. My only concerns coming out of the game in terms of quality of play are the drops by Dieter and the passing touch by Hurts down the field.
Noticed the deep balls fluttering a bit too.
B1GTide, do you think after missing on a few throws in the first couple of games he is trying to put too much "touch" on some passes(heck, maybe it was sweat causing the ball to slip out of his hands as it was so darn hot)?
Hurts is playing well now and has all of the tools. I can't wait for when everything begins to click for him and he is completely comfortable. He is just fun to watch.

Thanks for for write-up, Jess

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I had to do some work before the game and I started when the sun barely creeped over the horizon. The reason was the forecast. 96 is hot but for some reason in late September it just seems a lot hotter. Just glad the team took care of business fast. They also all played hard every down. I think that is what coach was pleased with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Noticed the deep balls fluttering a bit too.
B1GTide, do you think after missing on a few throws in the first couple of games he is trying to put too much "touch" on some passes(heck, maybe it was sweat causing the ball to slip out of his hands as it was so darn hot)?
Hurts is playing well now and has all of the tools. I can't wait for when everything begins to click for him and he is completely comfortable. He is just fun to watch.

Thanks for for write-up, Jess
I'd hate to guess, but his shorter passes have improved. His timing was better this week on short passes. He really only struggled on the deeper passes in this game, but his struggles were bad enough to be a real concern. Some of those passes would have been intercepted by a better defense.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Your BBQ grill comment: When I was a student in the 70s and BDS was just the lower bowl and the field was the hot Astroturf, I said more than once that they could stick a handle on one end and call it "The Skillet"!
i've still got a chunk of that astroturf tucked away in a box somewhere.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.