Targeting Flags -- which do you agree with

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Aaron Suttles just tweeted that "Saban also said that Mack Wilson'***** was great and that it was correctly called as not targeting. " The ball carrier wasn't defenseless."
And Saban, of course, wouldn't have any conflict of interest riding on it, I'm sure....

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
The officiating fail is that it was close. They are supposed to throw the flag and let replay sort it out if it is close. They did not do that. SEC officiating is very poor.

They might or might not have ejected him based on the replay. 30 will have to be careful from here out -- they'll be watching him.

And Gary needs to shut up about the rules -- he's been wrong so many times I can't believe he continues to yap about it.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Hard to tell. But in this shot it doesn't look head on. I guess the refs had the best view.

If you had a freeze frame of this just a bit earlier, I think you'd see Mack's helmet on Noils. By the time of this shot, Noil is already in recoil mode.

If not targeting, it was super, super close to it. I watched it several times and I think two things likely made the call go our way. #1. mack's shoulder hit noils shoulder first and #2, noil ducked the shoulder closest to the hit which brought his facemask down and that's where the contact was.

Now, mack is still really lucky he didn't get called for it, because he did lower his head and that is part of the definition of targeting also. That said, he keeps his head up here and it's probably even more helmet to helmet contact than it already was....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Another issue I have with officiating in general is watching and dissecting a play in super slow motion. You could watch the LOS, a DB defending a pass or any sequence in a game in super slow motion and find a penalty. They should reserve the slow motion and zoomed in shots for things that are definite like if a player stepped out of bounds or the football crossed the goal line. I don't like when Gary and whoever else looks at a play after the fact frame by frame and tries to find a penalty that was a judgement call (like holding or PI) made on the field..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't mind Gary and Verne pointing out potential missed calls, but drop it after you mention a time or two. It seems very egotistical for him to keep bringing it up time after time.

Look what I noticed, and see what it means to the game? Me! I'm over here! Look at me!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
For me, the biggest difference was the attempt to tackle the player. Wilson had his arms out and wrapped up Noil after the huge hit. The aTm player launched himself like a missile, with his arms at his sides. Clearly he was just trying to blow up the player - not trying to make a tackle.
I was about to say the same. Wilson was making a wrap-up tackle and the helmets hit incidentally. #6 left his feet and launched himself, head first, at Harris with the clear intention of rocking our RB, not to make a tackle or block. Not saying he intended head to head contact, but he was not trying to make a "football play". In addition, Harris was already engaged with another blocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
In my opinion, Mack Wilson'***** on Speed Noil was and should have been called targeting. If that hit would have been put on an Alabama kick returner like ArDarius Stewart or B.J Eamons, we all would have been yelling about it and saying the guy should have been thrown out for targeting. I was in the stadium on Saturday and was surprised it wasn't called.

I also think the play would have been handled differently if Noil would not have gotten up. Instead, he jumped up immediately and went to the sideline. The official marked the ball and started the play clock. No stoppage of play to even take a closer or further look.

To me that is the hit that they are trying to eliminate from football and I have seen far less severe hits called targeting with the player being ejected. It is still a very subjective call and depends on each referee and replay official's interpretation of the rule and how they view the hit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There are few hits that everyone agrees are targeting.

The rest are debatable with most saying "I can see it going either way." Mack'***** is pretty much that. If it was called, not many would complain.

I was in the car on the way back to Prattville from Birmingham when it happened. Eli and Phil were pretty enthusiastic about it. Neither suggested it should have been flagged, though.

The hit probably looked as bad because you're talking about a 244 pound guy running full speed down field colliding with a 200 pound guy who had about 15 yards of steam built up.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think intent has a lot to do with whether targeting is called. Everyone knows Mack Wilson was trying to make a tackle. This wasn't towards the end of the play when the play was over or away from the ball..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Nick Saban breaks down Mack Wilson's big hit vs. TAMU

Alabama head coach Nick Saban doesn’t agree with that, as he shared Monday morning.

“It was a great hit,” Saban said before speaking to the Monday Morning Quarterback Club. “I know some people made something about the fact that it was targeting, but it’s not an unprotected player. The guy’s running with the ball. So, we always tell our players that we want you to lower your target and see what you hit even when you tackle so that we don’t get in those situations.

“But that wasn’t a foul because it was not an unprotected player.”

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The officiating fail is that it was close. They are supposed to throw the flag and let replay sort it out if it is close. They did not do that. SEC officiating is very poor.

They might or might not have ejected him based on the replay. 30 will have to be careful from here out -- they'll be watching him.

And Gary needs to shut up about the rules -- he's been wrong so many times I can't believe he continues to yap about it.
Gary thinks Alabama should be held to a different standard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.