2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Few thoughts:
Rhett Lashlee is actually good playcalling coach, and I think he'll do well at Georgia State. I have a feeling that he'll get to run the offense the way he wants to and He'll be up for a bigger HC Job in 2 or 3 years if he does well at GSU.

Butch Davis- This isn't bad at all for him. Redeem himself and he'll get one last chance at power 5 jobs.

Charlie Strong- I honestly don't think He will be fired, but If he does, he will get another coaching opportunity. It' snot like he failed at the other job. Texas situation was weird and it felt like he never really had the full support from the administration. I could see him going to FSU.

Ed/Jimbo- I feel like Ed has ths job locked if he wins this Saturday. if he doesn't win, the job is Jimbo.

Dan Mullen- I think he gets a look but I'm not sure if he can get out of it. Best way for him is to probably resign and take a tv job for ayear, and then he'll get a look.

Gus- Bus crashed, bus fixed, bus crashed. That's the cycle of Gus. I think He loses one more game and I think he's gone.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To get his hands on all that homegrown talent. Jimbo may be going by the coaching actuarial chart, and figuring that he'd have two, maybe three games vs. Saban and 'Bama before St. Nick's...canonization (retirement). Even 'Who fanatics would give him (Jimbo) that as a grace period.
There is a ton more talent in the state of Florida than in the LA area.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think Malzahn tries to hang on at the barn. He knows Saban will likely be gone in a few years and anything else that would be available to him out there would likely be a downward career move or lateral at best.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
There is a ton more talent in the state of Florida than in the LA area.
Believe it or not, B1ggie, that might be debatable. What's not debatable is that while Fla. talent has an annual FCS diaspora, and pretty much always has, if you can keep the La. talent home you can win or compete for a national championship every year.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Gus- Bus crashed, bus fixed, bus crashed. That's the cycle of Gus. I think He loses one more game and I think he's gone.
Inclusive or exclusive of next Saturday at BDS? You really believe a mid-level bowl game loss (which is what an 8-4 record merits) gets him canned? Of course All-Bran could always lose to the Fighting Bulldogs of Normal, Ala., and Alabama A&M...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Believe it or not, B1ggie, that might be debatable. What's not debatable is that while Fla. talent has an annual FCS diaspora, and pretty much always has, if you can keep the La. talent home you can win or compete for a national championship every year.
No, it is not debatable. Stats can be manipulated, but not that much. Also, with Saban at Alabama, they are not going to keep all of the LA talent, either. No matter how you look at it, recruiting at FSU has got to be easier than at LSU. This from someone who thinks that FSU is a septic tank, like Baylor and Penn State.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Few thoughts:
Rhett Lashlee is actually good playcalling coach, and I think he'll do well at Georgia State. I have a feeling that he'll get to run the offense the way he wants to and He'll be up for a bigger HC Job in 2 or 3 years if he does well at GSU.

Butch Davis- This isn't bad at all for him. Redeem himself and he'll get one last chance at power 5 jobs.

Charlie Strong- I honestly don't think He will be fired, but If he does, he will get another coaching opportunity. It' snot like he failed at the other job. Texas situation was weird and it felt like he never really had the full support from the administration. I could see him going to FSU.

Ed/Jimbo- I feel like Ed has ths job locked if he wins this Saturday. if he doesn't win, the job is Jimbo.

Dan Mullen- I think he gets a look but I'm not sure if he can get out of it. Best way for him is to probably resign and take a tv job for ayear, and then he'll get a look.

I find it funny that people still think lashlee and gus are some kind of offensive gurus. 30 yards and 0 first downs against UGA Sat.? Seriously, Lashlee was the scapegoat elevated to take the fall after the 1-2 start because they can't pay 13.5 million to buy out that staff and pay the buyout for someone else.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I find it funny that people still think lashlee and gus are some kind of offensive gurus. 30 yards and 0 first downs against UGA Sat.? Seriously, Lashlee was the scapegoat elevated to take the fall after the 1-2 start because they can't pay 13.5 million to buy out that staff and pay the buyout for someone else.
I think that they put together a few great schemes that changed the game. Where they have failed is in adapting their schemes to their personnel, and to modify their schemes as defenses catch up.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I think Malzahn tries to hang on at the barn. He knows Saban will likely be gone in a few years and anything else that would be available to him out there would likely be a downward career move or lateral at best.
I'm not so sure CNS is gone in a few years. I could see him retiring in 5 to 6 years. He's 65, but appears to be in great health. His energy level seems as high as ever, and the guy is as focused now as he was in 2007. He is such a competitor that I'm not sure how he would do not coaching. If his health is good I could see him continuing into early 70's with the ability to still compete for playoff spots.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Gus took over the playcalling in the Georgia game. That's what auburn board was saying. But, I actually thought he's a better playcaller than Gus. REmember after Lashlee took over the playcalling, the team started to play better.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
Gus took over the playcalling in the Georgia game. That's what auburn board was saying. But, I actually thought he's a better playcaller than Gus. REmember after Lashlee took over the playcalling, the team started to play better.
It seems like the constant assuming/relinquishing/reassuming of play calling duties is just a a ploy to keep the disgruntled fans/PTB at bay. This is Gus' system and his choice for OC. I believe his ultimate failure will be his inability to develop players, adapt to changing defenses, and build his O-line to control the LOS w/o running plays at 100mph.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Why would Jimbo Fisher leave Florida State for the SEC meat grinder at LSU?????
Who would leave a FSU ,where the University and the legal system are bending over backwards to protect all of their wayward son's misbehaving ? Why leave a state with 0 income tax for one that is 6%. Why leave a place that has been loyal to their coaches for years, for one that changes or moans about them regularly. One states education system is brimming with money, one is on the fritz. Besides all that Tallahassee doesn't smell like corndogs ! Yes ,Coach Fisher has won the Fla. lottery and is staying put. :)

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
No, it is not debatable. Stats can be manipulated, but not that much. Also, with Saban at Alabama, they are not going to keep all of the LA talent, either. No matter how you look at it, recruiting at FSU has got to be easier than at LSU. This from someone who thinks that FSU is a septic tank, like Baylor and Penn State.
I definitely agree about recruiting at FSU vs L6U. I thought this was half of what made Fisher stay at F$U. Other factors were the dumpster fire the L6U program became at the end of the season and the administration's role in throwing gasoline on that fire. I think Jumbo (misspelled on purpose) can be a successful recruiter in LA and Yaw Yaw proved that this team can win with good leadership, but is he going to be willing to put up with the ineptitude of the AD and school prez if he isn't able to beat Bama regularly?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Jimbo will take the Lsu job for the money which i don't think FSU can match. He will want 5yrs of protection to try and time Saban's retirement. If he does take the job, I think you can pencil kiffin in to FSU with Oregeron coming over as DC with him. Now I don't Kiffin can run a program and I will leave it at that. His ex-wife and kids are living in FL already. He will fit there because the police and administration will cover for him. Sark will be promoted to OC and we will rock on.

I don't think Saban is in danger of retiring because of how well he is recruiting, kids are close by but grown, etc. You don't even consider it until you have 1 or 2 recruiting classes fall out of top 10 or mass defection of coaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Source: If Les Miles lands Purdue job, he wants to bring Sark

Former LSU coach Les Miles and Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck remain the focal points of Purdue’s ongoing coaching search, multiple industry sources have told 247Sports in recent days.

Miles, one source says, is telling potential employers including Purdue that he intends to bring current Alabama offensive analysts Steve Sarkisian and Mike Locksley to serve on his offensive staff. One source told 247Sports that under Miles' sales pitch, Sarkisian, the former USC head coach, would serve as Miles’ principal play-caller while Locksley, the former New Mexico head coach, would likely serve as a run-game coordinator.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This could leave us in a bind if Lane leaves after the season also. Almost have to start over from scratch on the offensive side of the ball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.