2016-2017 Coaching Carousel

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Based on what we've seen over the last couple of years, I'd say probably so.
TIFWIW, but LSU's average Sagarin rating since 2010 (Jimbo's first year) 89.64 compared to FSU's 87.81. Taking into account their conferences, I would suspect Jimbo might not be able to exceed what Les did.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Based on what we've seen over the last couple of years, I'd say probably so.
I think without jamies he is about the same as miles.

If my math is right then excluding jamies' two seasons and this year he is 41-13 over 4 seasons. That's 10-3 average. That's about what les was averaging from 2011-2015. So really how is jimbo that much better? Maybe he speaks the language better for the culture at LSU but it seems that it's not that much of an improvement, if any, from Les Miles.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I heard on JOX that Coach O has been given assurance by the PTB that he will have a spot on the new coaches staff if he is not hired. I don't know how some big timers might take that as you may be getting yourself into a divided team issue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I heard on JOX that Coach O has been given assurance by the PTB that he will have a spot on the new coaches staff if he is not hired. I don't know how some big timers might take that as you may be getting yourself into a divided team issue.
First I've heard of this. Would be such a disaster if it happens. The new guy has to take him instead of interviewing him? Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I keep hearing the name of P.J. Fleck at Western Michigan as an up-and-comer. His team is 8-0 with two of those wins against B1G teams. He must be the 2016 version of Tom Herman.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I keep hearing the name of P.J. Fleck at Western Michigan as an up-and-comer. His team is 8-0 with two of those wins against B1G teams. He must be the 2016 version of Tom Herman.
Look at his record at Western Michigan. He's built it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If Herman take the Texas job and Fisher decides to stay at FSU, which I feel will happen, does Orgeron get a limited term deal at LSU or does Alleva bring in someone else?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It's already a failure by that standard. I say they have zero chance of landing Herman, and that leaves Jimbo Fisher as their next choice?

Is that REALLY any better than Les?
Well, to a crazed fan-base, that is very provincial, yes.

They don't need no steenking non-Acadian carpet baggers.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
If Herman take the Texas job and Fisher decides to stay at FSU, which I feel will happen, does Orgeron get a limited term deal at LSU or does Alleva bring in someone else?
You can't do a 2 year contract (if that's what you mean by limited term) in college football-it kills recruiting. Kids at least need the illusion that the coach that recruits them can be there all 3 or 4 years that they're in school.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

If I was him, I'd take the university plane to Stillwater, OK and take a look at Mike Gundy at Okie State. He's a former qb and would bring a prolific passing attack O with him. He's been hesistant to leave his alma mater, but LSU might just be enough of a high profile job to lure him away.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Those two things do seem like they have a decent chance of happening. FSU hasn't developed a taste for firing head coaches. He's won a title there. While LSU might seem like a good fit, staying at the place that has had 9 coaches and not leaving to go to the place that has had 32 coaches seems like a decent idea. Herman to Texas, you have to imagine at least from Herman's perspective that's the ideal job.

One name I think that is bound to come up eventually is Chip Kelly. Now, on one hand I think it's reasonable to feel like may be all his success is built off of a gimmick. But, the guy was 46-7 as a college coach and he's 27-27 in the NFL. Clearly the guy knows something about coaching. For teams that can't get their first pick, he has to start looking pretty attractive.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Those two things do seem like they have a decent chance of happening. FSU hasn't developed a taste for firing head coaches. He's won a title there. While LSU might seem like a good fit, staying at the place that has had 9 coaches and not leaving to go to the place that has had 32 coaches seems like a decent idea. Herman to Texas, you have to imagine at least from Herman's perspective that's the ideal job.

One name I think that is bound to come up eventually is Chip Kelly. Now, on one hand I think it's reasonable to feel like may be all his success is built off of a gimmick. But, the guy was 46-7 as a college coach and he's 27-27 in the NFL. Clearly the guy knows something about coaching. For teams that can't get their first pick, he has to start looking pretty attractive.
Woe beyond to what non PAC 12 or big XII team hires Chip Kelly. The guy can't compete in a real conference with his philosophy.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Woe beyond to what non PAC 12 or big XII team hires Chip Kelly. The guy can't compete in a real conference with his philosophy.
Didn't Kelly have a dust up with the NCAA on his way out of Eugene? I'm not sure how Kelly would play in Baton Rouge; he doesn't seem to have the personality or patience to win over the LSU faithful, but if he can win then who cares.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Didn't Kelly have a dust up with the NCAA on his way out of Eugene? I'm not sure how Kelly would play in Baton Rouge; he doesn't seem to have the personality or patience to win over the LSU faithful, but if he can win then who cares.
The word he doesn't understand is "defense". Same could be said about Gus, but tubby, chizik, and mushchump all understood the word enough to build it for him. If chipper hasn't figured out that principle, then he would be taken to the wood chipper.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While Kelly hasn't been very successful in the NFL he could be like CNS and SOS, a better fit at the collegiate level. It appears that Oregon, USCw, Cal, Zona, ASU and maybe even UCLA could be in the market which IMO would be better fits than LSU. It could be a tough hire for LSU given most of the top level coaches are well paid and would certainly have some reservations of jumping into the SEC West meat grinder.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
While Kelly hasn't been very successful in the NFL he could be like CNS and SOS, a better fit at the collegiate level. It appears that Oregon, USCw, Cal, Zona, ASU and maybe even UCLA could be in the market which IMO would be better fits than LSU. It could be a tough hire for LSU given most of the top level coaches are well paid and would certainly have some reservations of jumping into the SEC West meat grinder.
Kelly doesn't seem to believe he isn't cut out for the NFL. He seems rather stubborn about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.